Xtrons stereo

Jim b

Looking to change double din stereo from pioneer to xtrons in 2005 987, as the pioneer is iPhone compatible with apple car play and my phone is android. Apparently Chinese stereos are slightly larger, so facia won't fit. Emailed xtrons but say only one available is for 987 2009-2012

Does anyone know if this will fit apart from being black not anthracite.

Cheers Jim

4 hours ago, Jim b said:

Thanks for the offer Jason, can't find a facia that will fit at the moment, unless someone knows if interior dash of 987.1 is same as 987.2

4 hours ago, Tony Daniel said:

I would say there is no difference apart from the colour

I'd look closely.  987.1 was PCM 2.1, 987.2 was PCM 3, touchscreen and various button layout differences, so depending on the car in question it might not be so simple.  Unless Porsche changed what was within the aperture but didn't change the aperture itself?

The 987.2 heater controls are a different layout to the .1 ?

Head unit aperture is probably the same but depth may have changed.

As above - take a close look before spending your ££

3 hours ago, Paul P said:

Why not swap to a pioneer that does android auto and CarPlay. ? 

Doesn’t have to run android to support it. 

I already have the xtrons unit, it came out of my last car, so was looking to swap but this stereo is a couple of mm bigger in width and hight, hence needing new facia.

1 hour ago, Jim b said:

I already have the xtrons unit, it came out of my last car, so was looking to swap but this stereo is a couple of mm bigger in width and hight, hence needing new facia.

Make sense in that case.  Although selling both units and replacing with a similarly sized unit from pioneer or similar would probably see you in profit if the fascia is an issue for the xtron 

This is the one I used...

https://www.dynamicsounds.co.uk/connects2-ct23po03-porsche-911-boxster-cayman-double-din-stereo-fascia-fitting-kit.html

Matches the existing dash well - might be cheaper elsewhere.

Are you saying you already have a facia that is a couple of mm too small? If so a doubt such a small size difference will be a deal breaker as it fits in front of the screen which has a small black border anyway. Might be worth trying it before splashing out.

Dave

Yes my facia is too small to fit over stereo. I tried to do as you said but cd slot is on upper edge and would catch, also touch screen volume control is on other edge. The one you sent a link to is the same as mine, it states that Chinese units may not fit.

Thanks anyway

On 2/21/2019 at 5:11 PM, Jim b said:

Yes my facia is too small to fit over stereo. I tried to do as you said but cd slot is on upper edge and would catch, also touch screen volume control is on other edge. The one you sent a link to is the same as mine, it states that Chinese units may not fit.

Thanks anyway

Well my Xtrons unit fits nicely - but it doesn't have a CD...

Dave

17 hours ago, Tony Daniel said:

I take it yours is a custom fit unit where as the OP has a double din headunit which requires a bezel 

Nope, not custom fit - a standard double din Xtrons unit TB706PL.

Dave

• 1 month later...
On 2/24/2019 at 4:51 PM, entdgc said:

How are you liking the Xtrons unit?

I do want DAB, as there is just not enough on FM these days!

Did you have BOSE and therefore need an adapter?

1 hour ago, Dubdubz said:

How are you liking the Xtrons unit?

I do want DAB, as there is just not enough on FM these days!

Did you have BOSE and therefore need an adapter?

No Bose in mine just SP+ so a relatively easy install. The Xtrons is fine. Like most Android units its a touch buggy (apps sometimes crash). On reflection I would have preferred one with a physical volume control but I have got used to the touch now. I have the DAB unit but TBH I have not had much joy with it. Installed fine and does work but reception is poor. I have tried a different aerial without much success. I use internet radio when I need to but then you are reliant on a mobile data connection which out in the country where I drive the most can be intermittent. I suspect that would be the same with most aftermarket DAB units - my son-in-laws 718 has DAB and that works fine.

Dave

On 4/6/2019 at 8:52 PM, Dubdubz said:

thanks not sure I like the sound of 'buggy' 

not sure what to do HU wise now...especially as I have bose

I initially thought mine was 'buggy' until I realised what it was, like android phones it updates apps and when it installs the update it automatically closes it down.

I very rarely drive my car so when I do I notice immediately itll update spotify etc which I will usually have running when I drive. And it usually shuts it down to update it.

(If that makes sense).

Concur with Ent on the volume knob, its nice to have something physical to adjust without having to look down at the HU whilst driving.

However, for me the pros way outway the cons. I don't use DAB only Internet radio or Podcasts really so can't comment on that.

Archived