Heater buttons worn

box100

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, box100 said:

I have had my 2005 987 for 10 years and the condition of it is still very good. The exception is the heater buttons which have worn and look a mess. Has anyone found a solution to this?

It's well known on early 987's. Not difficult to fix. Not sure whether he's still offering them but @jnwright71 used to sell replacement switch decals. Do some searching on here and you'll find all the info you need.

i bought the kit from @jnwright71 to do this and after an easy strip down i set the switches in some thinners got distracted and needless to say i had to buy a new set from climarepair at a cost of 129 quid gutted was an understatement .

do NOT leave your switches in Thinners a light rub with thinnners maybe on a rag should see the rest of the rubber coating fall off

Remind me, these switches aren't easily physically changeable?

As later cars seemed to have better labels, I wonder at the cost of buying OPC parts and swapping them.

I did mine last year using the decals mentioned courtesy of Wrighty987!

B6590827-8561-4B35-BC39-29A78580E928.jpeg

09FEA748-337C-49FD-904E-C6F43E88A421.jpeg

EC4844B5-88F7-4237-8C4A-83021D043FCE.jpeg

20CB99C5-081F-43BE-B667-D4EB6E944EE5.jpeg

Here's my before and after. I was a bit worried about breaking something when i extracted it but turned out to be easy. Just a couple of decals and a can each of plastic primer and matt(or maybe it was satin) black.

WBm9AoP.jpg

uySTGJG.jpg

34 minutes ago, red rocket said:

Here's my before and after. I was a bit worried about breaking something when i extracted it but turned out to be easy. Just a couple of decals and a can each of plastic primer and matt(or maybe it was satin) black.

WBm9AoP.jpg

uySTGJG.jpg

A fine job Peter 👍

5 hours ago, red rocket said:

WBm9AoP.jpg

uySTGJG.jpg

I also put a couple of coats of lacquer just for (hopefully) added robustness!

35 minutes ago, AdyG said:

They look great, mine are not too bad but need sorting. 

What paint and lacquer did you use?

I just bought some cheap stuff from Euro Car Parts.

I did my previous 987's too with the sticker kit from @jnwright71 

37486570894_5393780fd6_b.jpg

I used https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B003MLIFN8/ as primer and https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B003MI0JOY and it was a pretty good patch

I didn't put any lacquer on - the Hycote stuff seemed pretty robust

Hi All,

i still have a few sets left if anyone is interested in the decals.  This is really easy to do.  

When I developed the solution, I did mine first as a test and that was 18 months ago.  The switches are still totally unmarked and as good as new.  When you buy I send full instructions on how to do the job, including removal of the climate unit from the car.  The paint I used was Hycote grey plastic primer and Matt black, both spray cans.  

I’m probably biased, but this is one of the best and easiest improvements you can make to your 987.1 Boxster and for circa £25 a few hours work, cheap and rewarding too.

PM me if interested.

Cheers, James 

36 minutes ago, Withy said:

I did my previous 987's too with the sticker kit from @jnwright71 

37486570894_5393780fd6_b.jpg

I used https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B003MLIFN8/ as primer and https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B003MI0JOY and it was a pretty good patch

I didn't put any lacquer on - the Hycote stuff seemed pretty robust

Cheers for the info👍

On 3/2/2019 at 9:18 PM, Wrighty987 said:

Yeh it's not to hard to do. 

I just did mine a few weeks back wit the decals from the chap on here. I really struggled to get the switches out though.

So with some careful masking I painted them in situ and the look better than factory :) 

How do you remove them as I spent a good while trying to getting them out!!

Oh and deffo don't leave the parts in thinners, I used a microfibre cloth and neat Isopropanol Alcohol...and the original black coating just came off....small flat blade screwdriver saw the crud out of the grooves. I only needed a little bit of thinners on the bits the previous owner had touched up with black paint!

10 minutes ago, Nick_McUK said:

I just did mine a few weeks back wit the decals from the chap on here. I really struggled to get the switches out though.

So with some careful masking I painted them in situ and the look better than factory :) 

How do you remove them as I spent a good while trying to getting them out!!

Oh and deffo don't leave the parts in thinners, I used a microfibre cloth and neat Isopropanol Alcohol...and the original black coating just came off....small flat blade screwdriver saw the crud out of the grooves. I only needed a little bit of thinners on the bits the previous owner had touched up with black paint!

Here are some pics...

BBC8123B-6011-4709-BACA-FECFF4D8A9F6_zps

IMG_3768_zpsxz9qq65f.jpg

CF359C3F-2A8F-4B45-A134-D1E8FD16C24C_zps

good job doing it like that  but you done all the hard work,    basically you move the switch down slightly and on the back you put a small screwdriver on each side of the rocker which is held in place by a very small pinion/spud  on each side,   once clear of this you just push the switch out , did you remove the stereo for another reason as you don't have too?

23 minutes ago, 89rallye said:

good job doing it like that  but you done all the hard work,    basically you move the switch down slightly and on the back you put a small screwdriver on each side of the rocker which is held in place by a very small pinion/spud  on each side,   once clear of this you just push the switch out , did you remove the stereo for another reason as you don't have too?

Ahhhh ok i did try that but it felt like something was going to break so I did it the hard way....still over the moon with the result and its perfect. Just used a regular satin black paint (AutoGlym Trade stuff) let it flash off then did a dust coat on top to give some light texture!

Yep had the stereo out to fit a replacement and a phone holder mount bracket.

IMG_4163_zpsipbla7go.jpg

1 hour ago, 89rallye said:

basically you move the switch down slightly and on the back you put a small screwdriver on each side of the rocker which is held in place by a very small pinion/spud  on each side,   once clear of this you just push the switch out 

Precisely this, plus a bit more text and pics, needs to go in a How To.  Any volunteers?

1 hour ago, Menoporsche said:

Precisely this, plus a bit more text and pics, needs to go in a How To.  Any volunteers?

Thats a great idea....I already used the ones for fitting the head unit and the DRL Hack....oh and one to remove the front bumper!

Archived