Heater buttons worn

box100

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, 89rallye said:

@Nick_McUK

nice job on the head unit, i fancy doing something like this and adding the back up camera

Thanks, i was just sick of the standard one not working properly....the CD player was utter cr** :)

I can fit a backup camera to this if i want later...Pioneer sell one! Its nice to have the CarPlay and DAB

Somewhat surprised - I have refurbed mine succesfully with the stencils from James: 

l7GcdQh.jpg

fvxWeOM.jpg

Really pleased with the results - they look much better than the pics show, a bit of a faff to get the switches out and a bit of a faff to pick the stencil off once painted, as usual patience is your (my?) friend.

Thank you James

Some great results here guys.

Hi Skidd, I'd love to offer a group buy, but my supplier isn't able to supply any more in the foreseeable future, so I only have 12 sets left.  I've now removed from eBay so that I can sell what I have left to proper Porsche enthusiasts (and so that I don't have deal with the eBay muppets who angrily leave negative feedback that, for £17.95, you don't get brand new switches, then demand a refund, then mysteriously only send one of each decal back rather than the two sold !! 😡🤬).

If anyone still needs a set, please let me know as the remaining 12 may end up being the last 12 available.

Cheers, James

2 hours ago, pgk188 said:

Somewhat surprised - I have refurbed mine succesfully with the stencils from James: 

Really pleased with the results - they look much better than the pics show, a bit of a fff to get the switches out and a bit of a faff to pick the stencil off once painted, as usual patience is your (my?) friend.

Thank you James

Brill job its a simple thing that completely transforms the interior!

39 minutes ago, jnwright71 said:

Hi Skidd, I'd love to offer a group buy, but my supplier isn't able to supply any more in the foreseeable future, so I only have 12 sets left.  I've now removed from eBay so that I can sell what I have left to proper Porsche enthusiasts (and so that I don't have deal with the eBay muppets who angrily leave negative feedback that, for £17.95, you don't get brand new switches, then demand a refund, then mysteriously only send one of each decal back rather than the two sold !! 😡🤬).

If anyone still needs a set, please let me know as the remaining 12 may end up being the last 12 available.

Cheers, James

Thats sad James, glad I got a set off you when I did now!

I am fairly uptown scratch on this sort of thing (helps being the marketing manager for Xerox!) But we could probably find another place to produce these as if I am not mistaken they are is a thin vinyl contour cut to the text and fan logo. Any signage place that does cut vinyl decals could do it I am sure. Let me know if you want me to hunt down a substitute place to do it.

2 hours ago, jnwright71 said:

I don't have deal with the eBay muppets who angrily leave negative feedback that, for £17.95, you don't get brand new switches, then demand a refund,

That's really pathetic. The decals and your comprehensive instructions were brilliant when i did mine. Not surprising you've dropped ebay!

1 minute ago, red rocket said:

That's really pathetic. The decals and your comprehensive instructions were brilliant when i did mine. Not surprising you've dropped ebay!

eBay really is a crock of ***t now. And sellers have no protection anymore. 

I am sure I speak for everyone here James in a massive thanks for the efforts you went to to create the decals!

• 9 months later...

Hi All,

‘And they’re back’ 🙂🙂.  After being closed down for a year, my supplier is back in business, so I now have the decals (spray masks) available again.  Due to his increase costs, I need to increase my price to £16 for two or each with full instructions - still good value though.

Refurbing your switches is a therapeutic and rewarding DIY task, ideal for the Christmas work break.  If anyone wants a set, please PM me.

Cheers, James.  

6 hours ago, jnwright71 said:

Hi All,

‘And they’re back’ 🙂🙂.  After being closed down for a year, my supplier is back in business, so I now have the decals (spray masks) available again.  Due to his increase costs, I need to increase my price to £16 for two or each with full instructions - still good value though.

Refurbing your switches is a therapeutic and rewarding DIY task, ideal for the Christmas work break.  If anyone wants a set, please PM me.

Cheers, James.  

Thats great news....still a bargain at £16

Congrats matey

On 3/8/2019 at 6:36 PM, Nick_McUK said:

eBay really is a crock of ***t now. And sellers have no protection anymore. 

I am sure I speak for everyone here James in a massive thanks for the efforts you went to to create the decals!

Agree totally, you sell on ebay and hope you dont get ripped off. Plenty of t0ssers on there know how to play the system. Ebay do feck all apart from refund the buyer whatever. I had one guy in France claim part was never received, he left me negative feedback, when I checked his overall feedback left for sellers he had left at least 5 others similar. I commented on the follow up that he must have the worse postman in the world or just be the unluckiest ebay user ever. I reported this to ebay and guess what...........................................................

On 3/8/2019 at 4:19 PM, jnwright71 said:

Cheers, James

Maybe it's just me but I think that reflects on Porsche owners more so than ebay.

Hi 

I purchased mine last year from James and didn't get round to the repair so it's on my after Christmas to do list.

Can anyone advise on the correct primer and paint? Also would there be any merit in applying a lacquer coat?

Many thanks in advance for your thoughts. 

Cheers 

Ady

No primer should be used Just clean up the existing buttons really well. I used thinners to remove all the old skanky paint (do not be tempted to leave them soaking in thinners as it will melt the buttons) then just use something like Halfords Matt black paint. If you want some light texture then when the paint has flashed off do a dust coat from a small distance and this will give you a factory-ish finish  

5 hours ago, AdyG said:

Hi 

I purchased mine last year from James and didn't get round to the repair so it's on my after Christmas to do list.

Can anyone advise on the correct primer and paint? Also would there be any merit in applying a lacquer coat?

Many thanks in advance for your thoughts. 

Cheers 

Ady

I used the Hicote Plastic Primer & Hicote Matt Black that James recommended but any similar paint (e.g. Halfords) would be ok.

• 3 weeks later...

Purchased my Boxster a few days ago with same problem 

8EF17836-D9D6-44BD-B65B-1E54899854FE

Before I learnt you could get vinyls James I decided I’d try and touch it up. Picked up £2 black acrylic paint and a small brush set £4 at Hobbycraft. Below the results after one coat.

3DC22C42-96C2-4C23-9E47-22398006B37F

They could do with another coat in the morning and I’ll still purchase a set of vinyls from James and do them properly in the long run but as quick and dirty fix they are much much improved...! 

• 2 months later...

Can anyone tell me what is involved in the refurb as I am a new owner of a 55 plate with grubby switches.

i just rubbed the stickiness off the radio buttons with kitchen roll - yes that simple - which are nice to touch and look ok but I will probably make the ventilation buttons worse if I do that.

are these stickers or stencils that require spray painting?

3 hours ago, Marco98768 said:

Can anyone tell me what is involved in the refurb as I am a new owner of a 55 plate with grubby switches.

i just rubbed the stickiness off the radio buttons with kitchen roll - yes that simple - which are nice to touch and look ok but I will probably make the ventilation buttons worse if I do that.

are these stickers or stencils that require spray painting?

It's really easy and very satisfying once done. Buy a set of decals from @jnwright71 and follow his supplied instructions which roughly means iirc, remove aircon fascia, remove the switches, clean off all paint to reveal original white switch, apply decals, prime and paint Black, remove decals leaving  fan logo  and temp in White. Refit everything and enjoy result. 

Red Rocket has the process spot on.  When I developed this and used my car as the guinea pig, I wasn’t sure whether this would work and the results would last.  That was 2 1/2 years ago and the switches remain unmarked.

As we’re in lockdown, this is a great time to do the refurb.  It’s a little time consuming, but not difficult and the results will really improve the car.

I’m still selling these at £16 for two of each with full instructions to forum members (£18.95 on eBay).

cheers, James 

• 4 months later...

Hi Guys

We now list replacement switch covers;

https://type911shop.co.uk/epages/de867ca1-377e-432e-84fd-bdccf2206766.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/de867ca1-377e-432e-84fd-bdccf2206766/Products/82901

Happy to do a forum deal at £60 a set delivered, hope this is ok with the mods, if not please delete, thanks!

Archived