Damp Carpet.....

Truth

Evening all.

Well after todays horrendous rain in the Midlands its only gone and happened.... a leak !! Just what I need the week I have had 😕 , it was only the Porsche keeping me going!

It APPEARS to be coming into the cabin from the drivers side just under the speaker , as the door carpets a bit damp there and the floor carpets wet below there.  Its a similar story on the passenger side but its so minimal its just the door carpets a little damp.

I have read a few threads on this and they all seem to be damp carpets behind the drivers seat and most relating to drain holes. I have a feeling Menoporsche may have something with a comment he made previously. Just after a few ideas as to what it could be really.......

"If the carpet on the door card is wet then the door's internal waterproof membrane is compromised"

Hi there

It does sound like the door card membrane, it’s only thin plastic sheeting. If someone has had the door card off say for changing a speaker or whatever it could of got damaged. I don’t think they are expensive and a easy Diy fix, more important is drying the carpet and door card out. I would try and blot as much as you can with towels and possibly use a wet vac to really give a good going over. As for all the other rain we’ve got forecast, I would leave a dry towel along where you think the leak is and hopefully that will help save the carpet getting any wetter. It would be ideal to put in a garage until you get it sorted but I’m guessing he lives outside like mine.

You have described a symptom of failed waterproof membrane behind the door card. Remove the door card (which is a simple process: 4 screws and 9 clips IIRC) and have a look.  

A damp carpet can hide a very wet foam under the carpet. Check that too.

Cheers Lonewolf/Boxob.

The car is outside but just ordered a cover as recommended on another thread on here.

Its really not that wet at all , as I say , but I do need it sorting. I am booking it in for a service shortly so may ask them to do the membranes then.

While messing about in the dark I did come across what I think is the drain hole just in front of the rear arch. I put a curtain wire up there and it seemed very clear. I take it you need the hood down to access the top of the drain hole?

Hood needs to be in service position to access rear drains.

And let’s not forget about ensuring the RSGs are not missing or misaligned (Rear Splash Guards)

The rear splash guards are there but not sure about their alignment. 

What have I got myself into here , you have to understand I am useless 😂 . I am proud of myself to have located the drain holes !!!

If the bottom of the door is wet is isn't the drain holes it's the membrane which is a strip of weatherstripping foam glued attached to the metal inner door skin.  It either gets damaged or simply perishes in time

Best practice is to replace the inner door skin which means stripping the door down, it's not hard but you do need to be careful not to damage the door card when removing the poppers I broke 2 out of 2 cars I have done this on.  Buy the right tool and lie down under the open door with a bright torch so you use it in the right place and you won't have an issue.  By trim removal tools and work slowly it does take a lot of force to pop them off first time and easier subsequently.  If the door card hasn't been off before you do need the tool to avoid damage in my experience.  If you break the door skin it's a right hassle to change it for a new one or it will rattle

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01MXS0SQT/ref=asc_df_B01MXS0SQT58702243/?tag=googshopuk-21&creative=22146&creativeASIN=B01MXS0SQT&linkCode=df0&hvadid=218092154549&hvpos=1o4&hvnetw=g&hvrand=2244161472222434030&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9045849&hvtargid=pla-445130936874

I would buy 10 new poppers before you start as you are  likely to break a few along the way

The door skin part is about £100 but you can just put some screen sealant along the edge with a sealant gun - I looked into this extensively and screen sealant seemed best as it remains flexible.  Did this on my car and it was fine, a lot less hassle as you don't need to remove the panel inside which does involve removing the regulator and a load of cable routing etc

41 minutes ago, charlieboy2608 said:

Possibly more importantly make sure the security/alarm module under the passenger seat doesn't get wet...this can cause all types of issues!!!

Read up on that.

Its really not that bad, especially on the passenger side. 👍

Hi Perieman,

Feel guilty after you have gone to all the trouble of writing that but I am a DIY disaster, I will let the experts sort it when it goes in for service!

Popped in to Ramus Porsche to book in for a service next week and they also think its the door membrane. They will have a look next week for me when its in there.

Thanks for everyones advice 👍 

19 hours ago, Lonewolfgjp said:

If someone has had the door card off say for changing a speaker or whatever

A Rockford Fosgate one, maybe? ;)

Other than drain holes this has to be the most common reason for water ingress (reported on here). Enough people change the speakers - the originals are derided - and after some years the window regulators will also age/snap and need changing, so there is room for any 986 owner to end up with problems here. The main point is you caught it before more serious damage happened.

Despite this and the key issue, also well known, I get the impression you have a great car for what you paid.   Compare it to other 22 year old cars if you wish, not to cars 15 years younger!  My dad scrapped his Mondeo at 10...  You'll have teething issues, but hey, summer's coming :)

It’s such an easy job to do yourself, there are loads of YouTube vids showing you step by step how to remove the door panel and then all you need to do is locate the rip or loose plastic membrain and glue back together, it’s an hour tops and very satisfying to do.

im no grease monkey but with the help of youtube I will attempt most things, I’ve done the window regulators which are a bit of a mare the first time you do them, all your doing is fixing back in place is a bit of plastic, you should really give it a go, you’ll get to know your car better too and feel more at one with it.

Its sort of an excuse (as I probably wouldn't try anyway 😂 ) but I just haven't got the time at the moment with a few personal issues 😕

I will get to know the car better, I found the drain holes last night 😂

3 hours ago, Menoporsche said:

A Rockford Fosgate one, maybe? ;)

Other than drain holes this has to be the most common reason for water ingress (reported on here). Enough people change the speakers - the originals are derided - and after some years the window regulators will also age/snap and need changing, so there is room for any 986 owner to end up with problems here. The main point is you caught it before more serious damage happened.

Despite this and the key issue, also well known, I get the impression you have a great car for what you paid.   Compare it to other 22 year old cars if you wish, not to cars 15 years younger!  My dad scrapped his Mondeo at 10...  You'll have teething issues, but hey, summer's coming :)

Agreed on all points...... Just hope the service goes smoothly next week....

NOTE to self...... this is you Truth, nothing goes smoothly 😁

£400 ! Jesus! I was thinking about £150 .... 😕. Its only plastic sheeting 😏

IIRC the 986 membrane is less than £50 from an OPC. It has an adhesive strip around the edge. Peel back the waxed paper protecting the adhesive and stick it in position. 

I bought one a few years back but did not need to use it so returned it to the OPC.

Thanks Boxob

I wouldn't have thought Ramus will charge me £300 on top of the membranes cost to do it while its being serviced ......

Archived