Michelin Tyres

JohnSyn

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, daz05 said:

As mentioned above Costco may have a deal on soon, wait for that.  Great service and attention to detail, they took photos of the wheels before fitting and the guy came running into the shop to tell me about a tiny stone chip on one of my wheels before they started work.  Took us 2-3 mins to find it when he tried to show it to me but nice that they respected the car and took their time to get it right.

Wow, that’s not my perception of Costco at all. Just goes to show. Thanks for this @daz05. I’m  not back into the UK until 19 March which should coincide with the Costco offer. I’ll get in touch. My younger Daughter has a Costco card. 

On 3/10/2019 at 6:59 PM, r1flyguy said:

Cup2’s would be overkill for just general with the odd spirited driving. Those tyres are fitted to GT4’s and GT3’s for a reason ;) although I’ve considered it for mine purely based on the cars limited use and when it is used it’s either to the Ring, box’s.net drive outs or a Trackday or 2 I intend to do this year.

Agreed Gary plus as I say I don’t think I’m a skilful enough driver to benefit from the Cup 2s! 

1 hour ago, JohnSyn said:

Agreed Gary plus as I say I don’t think I’m a skilful enough driver to benefit from the Cup 2s! 

I think you could ;) I just think the downside would be longevity.

Anyone know if their is a trade off for wear rate? Usually these differ tyres don’t last quite as long!

1 hour ago, JohnSyn said:

Wow, that’s not my perception of Costco at all. Just goes to show. Thanks for this @daz05. I’m  not back into the UK until 19 March which should coincide with the Costco offer. I’ll get in touch. My younger Daughter has a Costco card. 

Big fans of Costco. Their no quibble customer service is brilliant and all purchases are tracked so no need to keep receipts. We use the Croydon one and it does get busy. Then have a wander around whilst they are fitting the tyres and fight the impulse purchases....

1 hour ago, TV8 said:

Big fans of Costco. Their no quibble customer service is brilliant and all purchases are tracked so no need to keep receipts. We use the Croydon one and it does get busy. Then have a wander around whilst they are fitting the tyres and fight the impulse purchases....

Yes after what you’ve guys have said I’ve changed my views! I used to have a ticket but as I say my daughter has so no problem. Our local one is at Lakeside, near the Dartford Crossing 

1 hour ago, r1flyguy said:

Anyone know if their is a trade off for wear rate? Usually these differ tyres don’t last quite as long!

Thanks Gary!

Yes it would be interesting to know wear rate for cup 2s!

I've just fitted a full set of PS4's to replace the Pirelli's that the car came with. 

They are very, very, good. 

In the dry with warm tyres I'd say the difference isn't that pronounced, but on anything less than that a big improvement. 

::)

36 minutes ago, Duffy3074 said:

I've just fitted a full set of PS4's to replace the Pirelli's that the car came with. 

In the dry with warm tyres I'd say the difference isn't that pronounced, but on anything less than that a big improvement. 

Thanks for info and good to hear from someone who has the tyres fitted! 

48 minutes ago, Duffy3074 said:

+1 had mine just over a year now, daily driver on 20". Only thing I might add would be another "VERY" 😃.

On 3/12/2019 at 7:03 AM, r1flyguy said:

I believe the cup 2 have 6mm of tread to start will rather than the 8mm on P4S4, so you have 50% more wearable tread on the PS4S vs the Cup2 (6mm vs 4mm) even if the treadwear is the same. In reality the Cup2 is likely to wear faster so my expectation is you will probably get about 1/2 the mileage out of the Cup2, but this is without any direct Experiance.

5 minutes ago, Greenman said:

I believe the cup 2 have 6mm of tread to start will rather than the 8mm on P4S4, so you have 50% more wearable tread on the PS4S vs the Cup2 (6mm vs 4mm) even if the treadwear is the same. In reality the Cup2 is likely to wear faster so my expectation is you will probably get about 1/2 the mileage out of the Cup2, but this is without any direct Experiance.

Ahhhhhhh, thatnks dor that, i do recall hearing that some time ago but totally forgot in all honesty.

During my MOT last month, I had an note that cracks were noted on my tyres, age related they state, thus the better grip in leiu of depth would not be an issue i think

Just now, 911-32 said:

When I used to use Cup1s they lasted about 4k miles FWIW.  They are track tyres and while the 2s are better, you still have compromises in the wet and cold compared to say PS4S or SSs.

I only run my car from April onwards for 6 months and appreciate we get a lot of rain but the temps will start to rise soon. Rarely use the car in the rain to be honest but i can see for other members considering this route it may be a deal breaker.

4 minutes ago, r1flyguy said:

Ahhhhhhh, thatnks dor that, i do recall hearing that some time ago but totally forgot in all honesty.

During my MOT last month, I had an note that cracks were noted on my tyres, age related they state, thus the better grip in leiu of depth would not be an issue i think

I’ve had cracks in my front Pzeros for a couple of years, Pirelli did take a look but suggested they were no issue. Last years MOT did point out these cracks (though no advisory), this year no mention of the cracks (different garage) so I mentioned it to the tester he said that unless he can see the cords there is no issue, he said it’s very common on modern performance tyres due to the latest compounds used but suggested the tyre structure would not normally be compromised by the cracks.

On 3/10/2019 at 3:32 PM, rowbos said:

I have had trouble finding PS4S fronts and rears in 235/35 and 265/35 19” so far.  Either online or via my local tyre place.   

Has anyone on the forum managed to get this size ordered/delivered so far and from where?

Cheers.  

I got a set in the sizes you’re after from https://www.camskill.co.uk/ about 8 months ago - have you tried them?  Cracking tyres by the way and particularly good at shifting water at motorway speeds in the wet, not to mention the insane grip in the dry and quiet too 😁

1 hour ago, jonnyp said:

I got a set in the sizes you’re after from https://www.camskill.co.uk/ about 8 months ago - have you tried them?  Cracking tyres by the way and particularly good at shifting water at motorway speeds in the wet, not to mention the insane grip in the dry and quiet too 😁

Thanks.  

235 in stock.  265 out of stock as they seem to be everywhere!

I approached Jamie M - Technical Manager at Michelin by email and he gave me the stock number so I/my tyre place can give the Michelin sales office a call to find out when they will come back into stock.

16 hours ago, Greenman said:

I’ve had cracks in my front Pzeros for a couple of years, Pirelli did take a look but suggested they were no issue. Last years MOT did point out these cracks (though no advisory), this year no mention of the cracks (different garage) so I mentioned it to the tester he said that unless he can see the cords there is no issue, he said it’s very common on modern performance tyres due to the latest compounds used but suggested the tyre structure would not normally be compromised by the cracks.

That’s interesting, thanks.

I’ve noticed a few cracks in my P Zeros which is what has prompted me to look for alternative tyres. However there is still nearly 6mm of tread on all 4 tyres. The car has only done 12k miles and purportedly the previous owner was a very careful driver! 

I ‘m still going to look to change my tyres but might now do so at a more leisurely pace.

34 minutes ago, JohnSyn said:

However there is still nearly 6mm of tread on all 4 tyres. The car has only done 12k miles and purportedly the previous owner was a very careful driver! 

I ‘m still going to look to change my tyres but might now do so at a more leisurely pace.

Exactly the same scenario for me too. 

Leisurely pace proceeded :)

46 minutes ago, r1flyguy said:

Exactly the same scenario for me too. 

Leisurely pace proceeded :)

👍looks like my session at Center Gravity will be with the P Zeros! 

4 hours ago, JohnSyn said:

That’s interesting, thanks.

I’ve noticed a few cracks in my P Zeros which is what has prompted me to look for alternative tyres. However there is still nearly 6mm of tread on all 4 tyres. The car has only done 12k miles and purportedly the previous owner was a very careful driver! 

Contact Pirelli, their customer services is very good, there have been quite a number of people on Piston Heads that have had tyres replaced FOC by them, they may ask for a couple of pictures and will then inspect them.  In my case the cracking wasn’t too bad and the tyres were already well worn but you may have a better case.

.....and yes if the rears still have 6mm after 12k Miles then this must be motorway miles or similar, my rears are on 5.5 mm after 6k Miles.

43 minutes ago, Greenman said:

Contact Pirelli, their customer services is very good, there have been quite a number of people on Piston Heads that have had tyres replaced FOC by them, they may ask for a couple of pictures and will then inspect them.  In my case the cracking wasn’t too bad and the tyres were already well worn but you may have a better case.

.....and yes if the rears still have 6mm after 12k Miles then this must be motorway miles or similar, my rears are on 5.5 mm after 6k Miles.

Thanks, I’ll do that

However the tyres are 4 years old and I’m not sure whether this will influence Pirelli’s thinking 

On 3/14/2019 at 7:51 AM, rowbos said:

Thanks.  

235 in stock.  265 out of stock as they seem to be everywhere!

I approached Jamie M - Technical Manager at Michelin by email and he gave me the stock number so I/my tyre place can give the Michelin sales office a call to find out when they will come back into stock.

I am also after a set of these.  They do seem to make them in the correct size for the rears but supply is the issue.  Keen to hear how you get on as I will need some in the next few months and would much prefer these over the 2’s for the all around improvements.

14 minutes ago, Nath said:

I am also after a set of these.  They do seem to make them in the correct size for the rears but supply is the issue.  Keen to hear how you get on as I will need some in the next few months and would much prefer these over the 2’s for the all around improvements.

Yep. I am quite set on PS4S now. Particularly after an email exchange with Jamie.  

I have spoken to my closest tyre place.  Twice. They do not seem super keen to search these out for me. Maybe they will come back to me. Surprising really as the value of these tyres must be a good multiple of what people round these parts normally spend on tyres!

I have two other places that appear on the Michelin official supplier list (and qualify for the £100 cashback offer) so I will try and speak to them on Monday to see where I get. 

12 hours ago, rowbos said:

Yep. I am quite set on PS4S now. Particularly after an email exchange with Jamie.  

I have spoken to my closest tyre place.  Twice. They do not seem super keen to search these out for me. Maybe they will come back to me. Surprising really as the value of these tyres must be a good multiple of what people round these parts normally spend on tyres!

I have two other places that appear on the Michelin official supplier list (and qualify for the £100 cashback offer) so I will try and speak to them on Monday to see where I get. 

Black Circle seem to have them in stock... Overall, I was impressed with their service when I recently purchased my Goodyears. You just need to remember they source their tyres through the big boys like Bonds, Stampletons etc, so if they let them down, BC are stuck in the middle.

BC is owned by Michelin though....

Archived