Michelin Tyres

JohnSyn

Has anyone fitted n rated Michelins? If so whats your view?

Thinking of fitting the new pilot sport 4s but they only just being produced in N rating in the sizes appropriate for Boxsters with 20'' wheels. I was wondering about other types. I am also drawn to the cup 2s as the car is for  weekends and summer driving holidays.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

MPS4S's are a recent addition on my 981S with 20 Sport Techno's on.  I was on P Zero's before, and everything about the MPS4S's is better for me.  Grippier in dry and wet, quieter, and less ackermans judder on slow full lock.  Although they are expensive, I'm glad I went this way (after most folks and things I'd read/viewed recommended them). Mine's a daily driver so no need for Cup 2s for me!  I'm just not that bothered about N Rated-ness now

9 hours ago, Withy said:

MPS4S's are a recent addition on my 981S with 20 Sport Techno's on.  I was on P Zero's before, and everything about the MPS4S's is better for me.  Grippier in dry and wet, quieter, and less ackermans judder on slow full lock.  Although they are expensive, I'm glad I went this way (after most folks and things I'd read/viewed recommended them). Mine's a daily driver so no need for Cup 2s for me!  I'm just not that bothered about N Rated-ness now

Thanks, that's really helpful. I need the N rated tyres as I've a Porsche Warranty for the next 20 odd months. Will probably get the MSP4Ss as to be honest I'm not sure I would be able to drive with the 'verve' necessary to benefit from Cup 2s!

12 minutes ago, Greenman said:

Your size should be available in N rating.

note if you have Costco membership you will get £50 off two, £100 off four from 18/3-31/3 on Michelin.

I thought it was Goodyear on offer at Costco at the moment?  and £100 off of 4 if 21" then sliding scale the smaller the tyre?

1 hour ago, MIkeyv60 said:

I thought it was Goodyear on offer at Costco at the moment?  and £100 off of 4 if 21" then sliding scale the smaller the tyre?

Yep Goodyear now. Michelin 18th to 31st.    19” and above it’s as I say £50 for 2, £100 for 4

Cup2’s would be overkill for just general with the odd spirited driving. Those tyres are fitted to GT4’s and GT3’s for a reason ;) although I’ve considered it for mine purely based on the cars limited use and when it is used it’s either to the Ring, box’s.net drive outs or a Trackday or 2 I intend to do this year.

1 hour ago, MIkeyv60 said:

The Goodyear offer is different , shame they dont stock my sized tyre? I suppose you can order them

I suspect any ‘N’ tyre would need to be ordered,   I’ve ordered tyres before from Costco, though it is a bit bizarre that you can’t actually book a slot for them to be fitted, you just have to turn up and wait.

I have had trouble finding PS4S fronts and rears in 235/35 and 265/35 19” so far.  Either online or via my local tyre place.   

Has anyone on the forum managed to get this size ordered/delivered so far and from where?

Cheers.  

1 hour ago, rowbos said:

I have had trouble finding PS4S fronts and rears in 235/35 and 265/35 19” so far.  Either online or via my local tyre place.   

Has anyone on the forum managed to get this size ordered/delivered so far and from where?

Cheers.  

Why do you need 4S?  The PS2 is recommended by Michelin for your car.

PS2 are an old tyre now.  I just put PS4 on mine .  looked at both but went with the 4 .  I am no tyre expert, just read what everyone was saying.  PS4 is a newer tyre so you would assume better? 

I have had PS4S 20” put on my 981s replacing the P-zeros. Only driven it twice, but definitely less tyre/road noise. I am thinking a more comfortable ride, but that might be wishful thinking. A bit more time will tell.

38 minutes ago, Araf said:

Why do you need 4S?  The PS2 is recommended by Michelin for your car.

I know... I have read all the reviews etc and by default was going for the best of the crop - my usual head for the shiny new thing affliction.

The thing that has been worrying me is that my 19” Spyder alloys have never had a tyre changed - the Bridgestones on there now are the original factory fit tyres.  I know I’m probably being precious but I would hate to get the rims marked when getting the tyres changed.

So weirdly enough just driving back from dropping off my daughter I had decided to speak to Bristol and Exeter OPCs tomorrow to see what they can get - probably Michelin PS2 or Goodyear Eagle F1, what the cost is and that they will guarantee not to mark the rims when fitting.  Then decide if the cost is worth my sanity 🤔

I put new PS2s on my last Boxster and they were superb confidence bolstering tyres in the wet or dry...

2 minutes ago, rowbos said:

I put new PS2s on my last Boxster and they were superb confidence bolstering tyres in the wet or dry...

Exactly my point.  I have them on mine in the summer and I have no complaints.

21 hours ago, Withy said:

MPS4S's are a recent addition on my 981S with 20 Sport Techno's on.  I was on P Zero's before, and everything about the MPS4S's is better for me.  Grippier in dry and wet, quieter, and less ackermans judder on slow full lock.  Although they are expensive, I'm glad I went this way (after most folks and things I'd read/viewed recommended them). 

Agree with this.

3 hours ago, jimbob2911 said:

PS4 are slightly cheaper I assume because they don't have the Porsche kite mark.  ?

PS4 is competing in a slightly different market to PS4S,  PS4S is supposed to be the ultra high performance competing with the best of Pirelli etc in the sizes available for all the supercars etc, PS4 is available on some smaller wheel sizes and isn’t quite at the performance level of the 4S.  You can probably get the Porsche sized PS4S with or without the N rating, you can guarantee the one with the N will be more expensive. 

Thanks for all the info chaps, it’s really helpful.

When I get back next week I’m goung to sort out Michelin PS4Ss, I know they do them for my car and in NO rating. 

I’m on two minds whereto have them fitted. Kwikfit can supply them but I’m inclined to see whether an OPC can fit them. 

8 hours ago, Greenman said:

PS4 is competing in a slightly different market to PS4S,  PS4S is supposed to be the ultra high performance competing with the best of Pirelli etc in the sizes available for all the supercars etc, PS4 is available on some smaller wheel sizes and isn’t quite at the performance level of the 4S.  You can probably get the Porsche sized PS4S with or without the N rating, you can guarantee the one with the N will be more expensive. 

Interestingly Kwikfit quote the same price for both the XL and NO tyres 

As mentioned above Costco may have a deal on soon, wait for that.  Great service and attention to detail, they took photos of the wheels before fitting and the guy came running into the shop to tell me about a tiny stone chip on one of my wheels before they started work.  Took us 2-3 mins to find it when he tried to show it to me but nice that they respected the car and took their time to get it right.

On 3/10/2019 at 3:32 PM, rowbos said:

Cheers.  

I couldn’t get the size so had pilot super sports fitted today on the rears in N rated tyres.

i used the black circles 10% promo.

11 minutes ago, onedesi said:

I couldn’t get the size so had pilot super sports fitted today on the rears in N rated tyres.

i used the black circles 10% promo.

Gobind will be proper fast with a new bit of rear rubber on the next Bridgnorth run, he is fast enough on his old tyres 😂

1 minute ago, Lonewolfgjp said:

Gobind will be proper fast with a new bit of rear rubber on the next Bridgnorth run, he is fast enough on his old tyres 😂

I’ve had new rear pads and discs too - just saying 😉😄

Archived