Wiper Blades - Flat or Traditional?

½cwt

Any opinions out there on where to stick with traditional wiper blades or to go with flat blades?  Can't help thinking using newer technology for a safety related item makes sense.  A bit like the newer tyre or N rated tyre argument possibly although these bits of rubber don't keep you out of the hedge in quite the same way....

I'd normally propose using Bosch or Valeo for either type.

PIAA look great and I've only heard great things about them.

http://www.piaa.co.uk/wipers/wipershow.asp?id=1254&make=PORSCHE&model=Boxster+(986+series)&year=01%2F1996+-+10%2F2004

Currently running Bosch which are still in good condition, but I'll certainly put a set of PIAA on once they are worn. I think regular application of RainX and a pair of Bosch would probably do just as well. PIAA is the lazy option imo. I think I read on here that someone was on their 3rd year on a set of PIAA.

I tried the double bladed Bosch (drivers side) on my old Saab and it was fantastic, but only lasted a year.

OK, PIAA budget permitting.  We used to use them on rally cars when I was competing.  Best at moving mud, grit and water spash quickly with little smearing, kind of vital in that environment.

Lower mileage and keeping a car under cover slows UV degradation of the blade material so 3+ years for a garaged and infrequently used car would be more than possible.

But still, flat or traditional?

EPC flash sale is what prompted my posting!

Bit bullet and went for Bosch flat blades to fit hook type arms.  Change from £18!

What i've found is that if the car comes with traditional blades stick with them, if flat blades go with that. I've tried flat blades on arms not designed for them before and they just end up juddering up the screen after not very long. I always use Bosch as well. 

2 hours ago, Roger C said:

Ive got the Bosch flat blades on my R53 Mini and love them, when the 987 needs blades I'll be getting flats although having a Halfords trade card certainly helps with wiper blades.

Rog.

I remember the days of having a Halfords card too about 12-15 years ago (wow, didn't realise it was that long until I thought about it just now).  Even the staff couldn't believe some or the prices, better than their scheme apparently.

Bough tool boxes and Halfords Professional (now Advanced) tools as well as usual consumables, wipers

bulbs etc.  Massive savings.

2 hours ago, That986 said:

What i've found is that if the car comes with traditional blades stick with them, if flat blades go with that. I've tried flat blades on arms not designed for them before and they just end up juddering up the screen after not very long. I always use Bosch as well. 

I have done the same but that's because as I've had newer cars the OE has changed as cars get newer so I followed on.  This will be first time I have swapped type on the same vehicle.  The current traditional ones judder which is why I was looking to change so we'll see.  I'll report the result after I've experienced a range different types of conditions, so in several weeks.  

As an aside one of my aerodynamics lecturers at Cov Poly based his doctorate on airflow around wipers in the late '80, and now we have recessed or semi recessed wiper arms and flat blades....

15 hours ago, ½cwt said:

I have done the same but that's because as I've had newer cars the OE has changed as cars get newer so I followed on.  This will be first time I have swapped type on the same vehicle.  The current traditional ones judder which is why I was looking to change so we'll see.  I'll report the result after I've experienced a range different types of conditions, so in several weeks.  

As an aside one of my aerodynamics lecturers at Cov Poly based his doctorate on airflow around wipers in the late '80, and now we have recessed or semi recessed wiper arms and flat blades....

If the current traditional ones judder that means they're done or you have something on the screen. I tend to find that wiper blades last anything from 6-12 months, once they start to judder swap them out. 

I have tried flat blades in traditional arms but they don't seem to have the tension to wipe the whole area.  

I've used both types, and I prefer the look of the flat ones, plus they don't have the metal parts that can rust on the traditional type. 

Everything I've used has juddered at some point (oem Bosch probably the worst) but the PiAA does this the least. 

I've got a feeling that the springs in the arms might be past their best, so it might be worth looking into this, though I don't think you can buy them separately

If everything is juddering on your screen, how old are the blades and how clean or scored is the screen?  Might be worth a deep scrub clean to try to improve the judder.

Fitted the flat blades to mine today and the only matter was the same with the traditionals in the in park position the passenger side blade doesn't quite touch the screen on the far end. Not had any rain yet but nice clear screen with washers..

17 hours ago, ½cwt said:

If everything is juddering on your screen, how old are the blades and how clean or scored is the screen?  Might be worth a deep scrub clean to try to improve the judder.

Blades only a few months old. 

Yes, the screen could do with a proper clean, but the juddering only happens once in a while, and I haven't cleaned anything on the car for months. 

Will get round to it one day.! 

42 minutes ago, PaulQ said:

Blades only a few months old. 

Yes, the screen could do with a proper clean, but the juddering only happens once in a while, and I haven't cleaned anything on the car for months. 

Will get round to it one day.! 

Could be the issue then, contaminates on the screen. Only problem is the contaminates then get on the wipers if not cleaned. 

Archived