Sourcing a 987 - early low miles, or late high miles?

Chrisbin

Hope you’ll all forgive what’s probably been asked before in various forms, but I’m struggling at first base and would appreciate opinions focussed solely on this debate.

Plan is to source a 987 tip for use as a daily driver - probably maximum of 10k p.a. But what I’m having difficulty with is, assuming 2 equivalent cars, same budget, what's likely to be the best purchase - a 2005/6 car with, say, 40k....or a 2008/9 car with, say, 80-90k??

I guess the question comes down to how many things go wrong/need replacing due to age, and how many due to mileage?

Note: I’m only considering examples with excellent (documented) service history.

In the past I’ve only bought cars like this (Westfield, TVR, Lotus) as “toys” so have had a different mindset!

Thanks in advance for any help/opinions/abuse!

Generally we say higher miles is better, up to a point. Early car might have IMS concerns, later car if an S might have bore scoring concerns. I emphasize might. Depends on your paranoia. But you are going to put quite some mileage on, which can take 80 over 100 in two years, and sadly that affects resale. All considerations, none are vital. 

If it's a daily I'd go for low mileage, if you go for a car with 80/90K in a year or 2 you will go over the 100k mark and make it a lot harder to sell on, I got mine a year and a half ago with 59K on the clock knowing with what I put on it will always keep it lower than average, mine is the 3.2 Tip, I love it, best car I've ever had, changed out the gearbox oil and filter last summer as it was starting to be a bit slurry, (should be changed every 12 years or 60K), this was spot on for both, it changes lovely now.

Take your time and get what you want, don't settle, good luck buddy!!

u2qwLp0.jpg

fyQLlz0.jpg

Interesting conundrum, my view that it’s ‘6 of one and half a dozen of the other’, both options have pro’s and con’s that will probably equal out cost wise over the long term. How about a different line of thought, albeit that which ever you go for must have good service history and have been looked after: if I was going to use it as an everyday car, I would get the one with the highest spec that will make your journeys ever more easy/comfortable, whilst you have that Boxster fun as/when you need it. So in my own personal choice would be either, dependant on the standard requisites, service history, condition, how it fells on test drive... then how high spec I can get.

i made a recent purchase, I was looking at 987.2 pdk but ended up buying a 987.1 tip, 40,000 miles with just over £14k’s of options and not a mark either inside or out, but hey, it’s down to the individual at the end of the day. 

I would test as many as you can. It is a buyers market.

A mid 70k car that has been looked after, could be better than a low mileage example that has been abused.

Budget is a weird thing I found with these, some are asking way too much, but then some 987.2 with higher miles can become appealing.

Spec as you know from my thread can be important to some and not others. I'd not take Sat nav as a plus as the HUs are from the 80's, mine had PSE but again I'd buy a carnewal if it didn't.

Go on feel, if it feels sloppy then it probably is.

Check mot history...a car I had considered just looked dodgy in the end, think it's still for sale now. Unless the truth is there, like a owner passed and the car has Sat.. then typically it's BS.

My 2007 needs some work, and I think you have to factor this. There are some great cars on here, a gt silver with the cocoa interior, is back up. Right money and has had good money spent on it...

Good luck and remember this place has a lot of good advice 

5 hours ago, Chrisbin said:

Thanks for the quick responses :)

Totally agree about the spec comment - my decision to go tip is for exactly same reasons

I use my 2008 Boxster as a daily driver and do about 10k miles a year. It is a manual, initially I wished I had gone for a tiptronic gearbox but over the months I then learnt how to drive it properly giving a blip on the throtle on downshift etc and have completely fallen in love with the manual box. My route to work has completely changed to backroads and puts a smile on my face everyday. Yes in stop start traffic can be harder work, but luckily don’t hit that often. Which ever way you go can’t really go wrong. 

54 minutes ago, Chrisbin said:

Cheers dubz. Your threads been a great help already!!

re the cars on here I wish the cocoa one had tip - I’d be on it in a flash!

in case this doesn’t get seen on the other section...

im on my search for my first boxster aswell.   favouring the 3.2 PDK trouble is i only want it red or white so limited straight away, but have a budget of about 25k.  Probably left it to the wrong time of the year to look for a convertable lol.   great forums and enjoying myself reading through them.  read so many buyer guides online need to get out there and see some cars

22 hours ago, robporsche said:

im on my search for my first boxster aswell.   favouring the 3.2 PDK 

You’ll be looking a long time for that! PDK with 3.4 only :)

I usually go for higher miles.  The current one had 60k on the clock as a 6 year old car (honest, that's classed as double the average) and is now at 92k.  I got a better spec car for the money when I bought and it has been no trouble.  It's under Porsche warranty for any problems - I had a couple of dog bones fitted to the suspension under warranty in January of this year.

The last one had over 100k on it when I bought it as an 8 year old.  Put 10k on it in a year and sold it for the same as I bought it for.  That one was tight as a drum and is still owned by a forum member.

23 hours ago, robporsche said:

im on my search for my first boxster aswell.   favouring the 3.2 PDK trouble is i only want it red or white so limited straight away, but have a budget of about 25k.  Probably left it to the wrong time of the year to look for a convertable lol.   great forums and enjoying myself reading through them.  read so many buyer guides online need to get out there and see some cars

Don't let colour put you off.  

I hate dark colours and black is the worst.  Guess what colour mine is?  Black.  I had it wrapped though. :) 

Image may contain: car, sky and outdoor

7 hours ago, bally4563 said:

How about a 987 S in Cosmos Black MY2005, fully loaded with 18.5 K on the clock, that I potentially know is for sale?!!

Is that the legendary “potentially for sale” one......?

If you have some details then please send them over!

2 hours ago, Chrisbin said:

Is that the legendary “potentially for sale” one......?

If you have some details then please send them over!

PM your number and I will forward his contact details

1 hour ago, Chrisbin said:

Message sent yesterday....

Been working in Germany just picked up this morning, I am now on it have pm you with his own personal contact number 

Mick

On 4/10/2019 at 8:46 PM, bally4563 said:

How about a 987 S in Cosmos Black MY2005, fully loaded with 18.5 K on the clock, that I potentially know is for sale?!!

Well I can confirm it’s definitely for sale - on Auto Trader for £17k

Thanks but budget isn’t going that high.

On 4/6/2019 at 10:58 AM, Hanny said:

Interesting conundrum, my view that it’s ‘6 of one and half a dozen of the other’, both options have pro’s and con’s that will probably equal out cost wise over the long term. How about a different line of thought, albeit that which ever you go for must have good service history and have been looked after: if I was going to use it as an everyday car, I would get the one with the highest spec that will make your journeys ever more easy/comfortable, whilst you have that Boxster fun as/when you need it. So in my own personal choice would be either, dependant on the standard requisites, service history, condition, how it fells on test drive... then how high spec I can get.

i made a recent purchase, I was looking at 987.2 pdk but ended up buying a 987.1 tip, 40,000 miles with just over £14k’s of options and not a mark either inside or out, but hey, it’s down to the individual at the end of the day. 

Did you have an extended test drive in both? My previous car was an 05 Tip, and I disliked the box. Now have a 2011 PDK with much lower spec - although both cars were low miles and mint. And the PDK is brilliant. The later car did cost twice as much as the earlier one, though. Only thing I really miss from the earlier car is the climate control.

7 hours ago, DaveEFI said:

Did you have an extended test drive in both? My previous car was an 05 Tip, and I disliked the box. Now have a 2011 PDK with much lower spec - although both cars were low miles and mint. And the PDK is brilliant. The later car did cost twice as much as the earlier one, though. Only thing I really miss from the earlier car is the climate control.

Yes, but got the high spec 08 due to both low mileage and immaculate condition.

All things being equal (service history and receipt records being comparable), I'd go for high miles, late model. The engines were revised and improved every few years, so the later ones will be better. I'd also go for a 2.7 / 2.9 to give better reliability over the 3.2 / 3.4 as they are all getting on a bit now and the higher engines have known issues (unless post-2009).

High mile late model 2.7, or even a 2.9 wouldn't give me sleepless nights - although if its a tiptronic, you'll be in the high tax bracket for anything other than 2005 model.

Good luck with the search!

Archived