noob, on the hunt for my first Porsche

robporsche

morning all,  thought id start a thread to introduce myself and also tap into the knowledge on here to see if i can find myself a Porsche.  Originally ive been searching for Caymen and over the last two weeks ive been looking at Boxsters (S).  I want the car for weekends and odd drive to work during the week and its a car i want to keep for some years.  Also been looking at the Mercedes SL 55 AMG.

Im 43 and over the last 10 years manage to get myself some decent cars before that money has been spent on doing up  houses and raising 3 kids. Just recently lost someone fairly close and without getting too deep i began to start to think if i dont start living and enjoying myself i;ll have alovely pension pot but have had no fun or done what i want

I currently drive Audi S3 which i love but its not a drivers car its pretty much point and it does everything for you and very well.  Before that was a Golf R32 MKV.   And you would then have to go back to my 18 19 when i had Renault 5 GT turbos and RS Turbos.

i've been reading alot, both on this forum and google for reviews and guides on choosing one.  Also spent a lot of time on ebay, Autotrader and Pistonheads looking at specs.

Budget upto 24K, might be able to stretch a bit more but its going on the mortgage and i have the missus that doest get why one car isnt enough.

Spec wise from what ive reading and looking at whats available

2009 onwards in Red or White only.

Xenons - did all 09 cars come with Xenons or was it still an option.

PDK

Porsche Sports Exhaust (havet seen many with so many it will be mod)

PASM

Telephone connection

Sport Seats

Cant think i've left anything out.

Still reading up about whether I should go for a 3.4 S or the 2.9

Again what to look out for in servicing is 

Brake fluid every 2 years

Spark plugs every 2 years

Belt driver every 6 years.

Seen people mention to check front grills. 

Trying to get everything into one thread, 

Seen a Nice Red Boxster PDK on 35k miles

full Porsche history, Hard back sports seats, PDK gearbox, Sports Chrono Package Plus, wind deflector, rear parking sensors, heated seats and bluetooth phone connectivity. 

Been reading up on the Chrono package, does that improve exhaust sound aswell the driving?

This is the 2.9 and non S and not sure if thats top price for the spec and how good is the 2.9 vs 3.4 (keep reading that the 2.9 is fine for driving on roads a decent tax bracket aswell lol)

probably need to read up more between 2.9 and 3.4  as i remember seeing people mostly say go for the 3.4 if you an.

just to mix things up i ve seen a 2007 Boxster  2.7  on 59K for 14K

Spec

Guards Red with Full Black Leather Interior, 18" Cayman S Alloy Wheels in Graphite Grey, Touchscreen DAB Radio with Bluetooth Connectivity and USB, Switchable Sports Exhaust, Sports Steering Wheel.

18inch Alloy Wheels

Air Conditioning

CD Player

Electric Memory Seats

Electric Windows

Full Service History

Leather Seats

MP3 Player

Sorry for a massive read im sure there are plenty other questions and im sure you have all heard the concerns and questions before.  

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you want a red one, then @Guvs car might be for sale - worth checking it out as it’s very very nice! Although is a manual.

for your budget I’d personally be looking at a 987.2 PDK as you have the more reliable/less prone to potential issues DFI engine and the PDK gearbox which is brilliant, or a 981. There don’t appear to be many 987.2’s on the market, I read somewhere that they didn’t make as many of these as other models due to the time they were built - no idea how true that is.

obviously the newer you get, the more ‘modern’ comforts you will get and both the 987 and 981 have the proper flat 6 engines. There are a few good indies out there that have suitable cars, prices are a little higher than private but a few members have bought from them on here and have had good service so ask away - maundrells, ashgoods, etc 

based on your previous cars i’d Aim at the 3.4 for the increased power. The 2.9 is a good motor, but may feel a little flat compared to your S3.

exhaust wise, you can get a carnewal upgrade for a few hundred pounds which a few members have on here - it’s an exchange solution - @John K can tell you more for example.

the 2007 model will be in the higher car tax bracket if that is an issue for you, drops again on the 987.2 so you avoid the £550 a year road tax. 

as you’ll find, no 2 cars seem to have the same options, heated seats are lovely, most people complain about the standard stereo but I have the pcm3.1 with ASK in mine and it’s more than good enough for me. 19” wheels look great but ride a little harder than the 18’s due to the smaller rubber ratio. 17’s are a bit too small imho. Sports chrono gives you launch control, sport mode and sport plus mode. Sport mode is great on the pdk as it gives quicker changes and slightly better throttle response. Sports plus is a bit too hardcore for everyday driving but would be perfect for track use.

Enjoy the hunt, feel free to post links to possible cars if you don’t mind sharing

At that price, Gen2 no question.  It's a 981 in a 987 body, engine and tech are so much newer. Or 981 if you wish to stretch.

Xenons - look for headlamp washer nipples. If none, it may have low-power xenon lights, which are xenons but not very bright (washers required for over 2000 lumens, normal xenons are 3500).

PSE can be retrofitted, I think the 981 is notably cheaper than the 987.2 (1500 vs 2300 ish), never found out why. Or a dealer might chuck (part of) it in as part of the deal.

I will dare to say PASM is nice but not crucial. Others will violently disagree! Reverse sensors very useful, visibility is awful, front sensors nice to have but not crucial.

Indeed check front grills and fit mesh when you know all the leaves are out.

Good luck.

Meno and Matt have pretty much summed it up... You've got about 60 'what should I buy' threads in two :thumbsup_anim:

I've got a 987.2 with PDK and I think it is all the car I will ever need. Quite worried what I would replace it with in a few years...

For what it's worth, I'd take the Carnewal over PSE, I like the low burble as well as the screaming. That will be my first flaming from the forum.

The 2nd flaming I will receive is... I would also go for the 18" alloys over 19"s. Easier to live with on our shyate roads, less high end NVH and slightly cheaper to replace.

Knowing I would be buying a 10 year old car and perhaps keeping it for 8 to 10 years I deliberately chose a low spec. I didn't want any 'unnecessary' lecy motors or sensor as these are definitely the things that will go wrong in the long term. And I am certain it will be easier / cheaper to go into my Indy and say "please replace that spring" rather than starting with "My PASM is acting up..."

Mine only has PDK, heated seats and full leather (combining a lovely interior and a fetish, what's not to like :laugh:) and then I fitted the Carnewal (for £500, I was an idiot and also bought the rear tips, totally unnecessary for another £500)

Budget £20k and you will get a gorgeous 987.2.

Roughly where are you in the UK? If you are close I'm happy to trundle up and you can look over mine.

Good luck (BTW your logic for purchase is perfect :thumbsup_anim:)

58 minutes ago, Mattman42 said:

If you want a red one, then @Guvs car might be for sale - worth checking it out as it’s very very nice! Although is a manual.

for your budget I’d personally be looking at a 987.2 PDK as you have the more reliable/less prone to potential issues DFI engine and the PDK gearbox which is brilliant, or a 981. There don’t appear to be many 987.2’s on the market, I read somewhere that they didn’t make as many of these as other models due to the time they were built - no idea how true that is.

obviously the newer you get, the more ‘modern’ comforts you will get and both the 987 and 981 have the proper flat 6 engines. There are a few good indies out there that have suitable cars, prices are a little higher than private but a few members have bought from them on here and have had good service so ask away - maundrells, ashgoods, etc 

based on your previous cars i’d Aim at the 3.4 for the increased power. The 2.9 is a good motor, but may feel a little flat compared to your S3.

exhaust wise, you can get a carnewal upgrade for a few hundred pounds which a few members have on here - it’s an exchange solution - @John K can tell you more for example.

the 2007 model will be in the higher car tax bracket if that is an issue for you, drops again on the 987.2 so you avoid the £550 a year road tax. 

as you’ll find, no 2 cars seem to have the same options, heated seats are lovely, most people complain about the standard stereo but I have the pcm3.1 with ASK in mine and it’s more than good enough for me. 19” wheels look great but ride a little harder than the 18’s due to the smaller rubber ratio. 17’s are a bit too small imho. Sports chrono gives you launch control, sport mode and sport plus mode. Sport mode is great on the pdk as it gives quicker changes and slightly better throttle response. Sports plus is a bit too hardcore for everyday driving but would be perfect for track use.

Enjoy the hunt, feel free to post links to possible cars if you don’t mind sharing

thanks for the quick reply,  funnily enough ive just been reading that for sale thread it does look a great car.    I had a friend say the same thing regarding the 3.4 compared to the S3 and the boxster is 200kg odd lighter than the S3 aswell.  I didnt realise the tax bracket dropped again for the 987.2   I think it goes back up for the S again.  Not crucial but thats one thing that use to wind me up slightly on the R32, paying nearly gbp550 a year on tax. 

carnewal upgrade sounds interesting and i'd want to do that.

I'd probably change out the wheels at some stage as i seem to on all my cars and then mods would be cosmetic at most.   I'll post some links up, im in no rush despite me wanting to get in one,  as normal the right one just comes along as they usually do and i still love the S3.

1 minute ago, robporsche said:

I didnt realise the tax bracket dropped again for the 987.2   I think it goes back up for the S again. 

The 987.2 3.4S Manual is £550, the PDK version is one bracket down, I forget what it is, £350 or something.

The PDK 3.4s kicks out 2 or 3 less carbon dioxides (because it will use 2nd unless you provoke it) and 'just' sneaks into the lower band.

13 minutes ago, John K said:

Meno and Matt have pretty much summed it up... You've got about 60 'what should I buy' threads in two :thumbsup_anim:

I've got a 987.2 with PDK and I think it is all the car I will ever need. Quite worried what I would replace it with in a few years...

For what it's worth, I'd take the Carnewal over PSE, I like the low burble as well as the screaming. That will be my first flaming from the forum.

The 2nd flaming I will receive is... I would also go for the 18" alloys over 19"s. Easier to live with on our shyate roads, less high end NVH and slightly cheaper to replace.

Knowing I would be buying a 10 year old car and perhaps keeping it for 8 to 10 years I deliberately chose a low spec. I didn't want any 'unnecessary' lecy motors or sensor as these are definitely the things that will go wrong in the long term. And I am certain it will be easier / cheaper to go into my Indy and say "please replace that spring" rather than starting with "My PASM is acting up..."

Mine only has PDK, heated seats and full leather (combining a lovely interior and a fetish, what's not to like :laugh:) and then I fitted the Carnewal (for £500, I was an idiot and also bought the rear tips, totally unnecessary for another £500)

Budget £20k and you will get a gorgeous 987.2.

Roughly where are you in the UK? If you are close I'm happy to trundle up and you can look over mine.

Good luck (BTW your logic for purchase is perfect :thumbsup_anim:)

cheers man,  yeah i was hoping 20K would be where im at for price point.  But i do get your point about all the electrical bits and bobs and going wrong, like you i plan on keeping it for years i keep seeing all the owners have a real connection to these cars.  Im in essex  just outside sunny sarfend!

6 minutes ago, robporsche said:

compared to the S3 and the boxster

The S3 and possibly the R32 are probably faster cars down an unknown B road. Probably about the same off the line.

But that is missing the point (and very well illustrated by that utter c*ck Rory Reid when he races a G63 AMG, RS3 against a Caymen and the Camyen comes a distant 3rd)

All hot hatches are based on normal cars, that is what makes them brilliant. But they are not sports cars. I think @fat haggis sums it up with his "Smiles per miles" expression. Very few things feel like a dedicated Sports car, MX5, S2000 or Boxster. Perhaps not the fastest, but the way they feel is 😍

Im in essex  just outside sunny sarfend!

In that case you deffo need the PDK, it will make driving it in your white stilettos easier :licki:

A bit far for me to come over, but there will certainly be a meet near you

3 minutes ago, robporsche said:

red 2.9 boxster

this is the 2.9 i saw last night.

@Mattman42 only has good things to say about Maundrells.

IMHO you only need the 2.9 it probably has all the shove you will need. I almost never give mine the full moo. Remember it's the feeling you are after not the stats.

That does seem a tidy motor. I'm not a money person so can't comment with any confidence on the price (take Matt with you, he's bought more cars than I've had hot dinners)

Offer £22k, settle on £22,750 and get it in time for summer. You've unfortunately already missed the Winter Discount period...

8 minutes ago, John K said:

In that case you deffo need the PDK, it will make driving it in your white stilettos easier :licki:

A bit far for me to come over, but there will certainly be a meet near you

yeah well that the least of my worries, the implants in my lips and breasts are my main concern over driving position  

LOL, just realised, it is the total oppo of Matt's colour scheme.

That one is Red over Black. His is Black over Red (think a slasher killer flick filmed in an abattoir :thumbsup_anim:)

8 minutes ago, John K said:

@Mattman42 only has good things to say about Maundrells.

IMHO you only need the 2.9 it probably has all the shove you will need. I almost never give mine the full moo. Remember it's the feeling you are after not the stats.

That does seem a tidy motor. I'm not a money person so can't comment with any confidence on the price (take Matt with you, he's bought more cars than I've had hot dinners)

Offer £22k, settle on £22,750 and get it in time for summer. You've unfortunately already missed the Winter Discount period...

yeah im going to read more about the 2.9 vs 3.2 debate.   doesnt have Xenons or adaptive suspension but dont want to get too hung up on it  It might be one of his threads that i saw the dealer mentioned and took a look.

2.9 vs 3.2

2.9 vs 3.4 in the 987.2

I'm not sure when it changed over but you used to have 2.7 and 3.2, then IIRC after some middle ground confusion they end up with 2.9 and 3.4 in the 987.2

31 minutes ago, John K said:

The 987.2 3.4S Manual is £550, the PDK version is one bracket down, I forget what it is, £350 or something.

The PDK 3.4s kicks out 2 or 3 less carbon dioxides (because it will use 2nd unless you provoke it) and 'just' sneaks into the lower band.

Is that right?  I thought all of the Gen 2 Boxsters were in the lower tax band. :unsure: 

3 minutes ago, Araf said:

Is that right?  I thought all of the Gen 2 Boxsters were in the lower tax band. :unsure: 

actually reading up i think the 3.4s is gbp245 a year the spyder is the higher bracket.

28 minutes ago, robporsche said:

red 2.9 boxster

this is the 2.9 i saw last night.

As @John K says, I bought my 987.2 from Maundrells roughly this time last year. Nice Indy in the middle of nowhere who deal mainly in OPC trade ins that don’t meet the Porsche resale criteria (I.e. mine had a non-Porsche service in the middle of its history).

they aren’t cheap, but they prep their cars well and go through them with a fine tooth comb - mine had new pads and discs, condenser, pipes and a few other bits totalling about £3,500 plus a new MOT before they would let me have it. They haggle hard but seem to have a good turnover of cars. I had an issue with the GPS after a couple of days - their techs tried to fix it and when they couldn’t it got sent straight to Reading OPC with a courtesy car for me - no questions asked, no additional payment needed

1 minute ago, Mattman42 said:

Mine is a 2010 3.4S PDK and is £315 a year

Same here, who the hell has got a 987.2 3.4s Manual that isn't in feckin Scotland, no choice for it, gonna have to run the gauntlet and use the sites search engine :cry:

3 minutes ago, Mattman42 said:

As @John K says, I bought my 987.2 from Maundrells roughly this time last year. Nice Indy in the middle of nowhere who deal mainly in OPC trade ins that don’t meet the Porsche resale criteria (I.e. mine had a non-Porsche service in the middle of its history).

they aren’t cheap, but they prep their cars well and go through them with a fine tooth comb - mine had new pads and discs, condenser, pipes and a few other bits totalling about £3,500 plus a new MOT before they would let me have it. They haggle hard but seem to have a good turnover of cars. I had an issue with the GPS after a couple of days - their techs tried to fix it and when they couldn’t it got sent straight to Reading OPC with a courtesy car for me - no questions asked, no additional payment needed

thanks thats good to hear, i will definately speak to them on that car.  I dont mind paying extra for that peace of mind. Must have been your thread i was reading last night.  

11 minutes ago, John K said:

BTW, @robporsche, get used to this if you get one... There is nothing this forum loves better than bickering over the finer details :thumbsup_anim:

lol,  no problem, i frequent Audi forums aswell so nothing different there either.

forum has limited my ability to like threads,  i guess cos im a newbie but i'll keep my eye on him .  thanks for the heads up the fact that hes already asking me about high heels!

Archived