OPC invitation for free check over

Rav

I received an invitation to have my car checked over for free from my local OPC (Swindon). They also offered a test drive in thier recently restored 993 Carrera 4.  I e-mailed them to confirm and that was that.

Today, i have been called up twice. Firstly to confirm the booking (which is fair), but then from the sales chap - who asked me if i was seriously considering buying the 993.

To be honest, i want them to look over the car (for free) as they have advertised and to let me have a go in one of my dream cars. I owned a 993 for a couple of weeks a few years ago. Long story.

Has anyone done this sort of thing? Should i feel guilty? I cant afford the 993 - they are asking £75k for it.

https://www.dicklovett.co.uk/porsche/used-cars/1997-porsche-911-993-carrera-4-2-door

1_122718_s.jpg?v=1552215932

My car has just been to CPS for a service and check over and done zero miles since, so i am confident that it is fine. But will the OPC find everything wrong with it including non N rated tyres?

I get myself into a palava some times!!

Let them check your car over and see what they find. Always good to have a second opinion. They offered the test drive, so why not? Just make sure you understand the insurance cover and any excesses you would have to pay if the worst happened.

Let us know how you get on.

I think it will be test drive.......round the car park!....followed by 3 hours in a darkened room persuading you to take never ending finance..... and then your car will be declared not roadworthy and reported to the police 🤣😉 honestly its rare that you get something for nothing these days........if you do enjoy 👍

7 hours ago, Clivescoobydo said:

I think it will be test drive.......round the car park!....followed by 3 hours in a darkened room persuading you to take never ending finance..... and then your car will be declared not roadworthy and reported to the police 🤣😉 honestly its rare that you get something for nothing these days........if you do enjoy 👍

Bit optimistic.......

On 4/11/2019 at 9:26 PM, Nobbie said:

Let them check your car over and see what they find. Always good to have a second opinion. They offered the test drive, so why not? Just make sure you understand the insurance cover and any excesses you would have to pay if the worst happened.

Let us know how you get on.

this...go for it and stop worrying....

I’d explain that I had a 993 previously and had been curious to see if I should revisit the experience and had been buoyed by the current trend towards appreciating values. 

Unlikely they’ll push too hard. Reputation in the industry is too sensitive.

Dick L can be a bit pushy. But they certainly like to get you in their cars though (threw the keys of a 987 Spyder at me) when I was only in the market for a 986 and popped in for a nosey. 

I guess, modern buyers who have flash cash arent often interested in even a modern classic. But to find a customer who likes an older model, they’re going to wave it under your nose regardless of the ticket in the window.

I had a fantastic morning at Swindon OPC. My boxster went in for its free post winter check up and i left her as i would my child on the first day at school. I was looked after by Jonathan Sharp, who was excellent.

I had a go in the 993 which they restored and are currently selling for £73k!!! Its not an easy car to drive especially fast. I had a 993 for a few weeks a few years ago, and i forget just how much effort is needed to drive them.

I had a look around the cars, the new 911 is stunning - but not my cup of tea to be honest.......Lots of old cars there, 968, 993, 996 and even a 924!!

I will post photos asap.

They came back to me with a list on my car - the only thing they found was that the tyres are not n rated!

A great day - thanks Dick Lovett and Jonathan Sharp!!

Archived