Can anyone recommend me a good outdoor cover

CAZ

As you will all know by now I will shortly be collecting Guv's guards red 2007 SE  as she is coming to live with me.

As I don't have a garage she will be parked in private courtyard parking behind my house (pity the people who live in the coach house when I go burbling underneath with the carnewal at 2 am coming back from the gym 😲)

There are lots of cats around and I don't fancy a hairy roof and scratchy paw marks all over her -so can anyone recommend a good waterproof breathable outdoor cover for her that wont scratch the paintwork - the ebay ones don't look great .

7 minutes ago, CAZ said:

As you will all know by now I will shortly be collecting Guv's guards red 2007 SE  as she is coming to live with me.

As I don't have a garage she will be parked in private courtyard parking behind my house (pity the people who live in the coach house when I go burbling underneath with the carnewal at 2 am coming back from the gym 😲)

There are lots of cats around and I don't fancy a hairy roof and scratchy paw marks all over her -so can anyone recommend a good waterproof breathable outdoor cover for her that wont scratch the paintwork - the ebay ones don't look great .

Well done, think you got a great car there. 

I’ve got a storm force cover that I use on my 986. Really good quality and good fixings. Bought it off eBay used for about £80 I think, they do come on now and again, or about £160 new I think. 

Thanks - read somewhere that I should  go for one with elastic , ties and straps - but John K said not to mention those three words in the same sentence or he might get over excited and burst ! I will take a look at storm force.

20 minutes ago, CAZ said:

Thanks - read somewhere that I should  go for one with elastic , ties and straps - but John K said not to mention those three words in the same sentence or he might get over excited and burst ! I will take a look at storm force.

Too late!

Might be stating the obvious but make sure the car is completely clean and dust/grit free before you put a cover on it...

I bought a storm force one and it lasted about 3 years I agree with rowbos you need to make sure you wash it before putting it on and that can be a pain but the instructions say you can use it with the car wet something I've never done 

Here is the link https://www.stormcarcovers.co.uk/products/porsche-car-covers-1?variant=610010081

I need to replace mine now its starting to disintegrate enjoy you new car

I’m not sure I’d bother CAZ. Mines parked outside all your round and is fine. Just make sure the drains are clear and maybe try to get hold of a hard top in time. With all the grit, condensation trying to hold it down in a gale I think it’s more trouble than it’s worth tbh.

2 minutes ago, Clivescoobydo said:

I’m not sure I’d bother CAZ. Mines parked outside all your round and is fine. Just make sure the drains are clear and maybe try to get hold of a hard top in time. With all the grit, condensation trying to hold it down in a gale I think it’s more trouble than it’s worth tbh.

This. ^^^  Luckily, mine came with paint, which protects the metal. :) 

6 hours ago, Clivescoobydo said:

6 hours ago, Araf said:

This. ^^^  Luckily, mine came with paint, which protects the metal. :) 

These ^^^

Do you really want to be messing about trying to wrap your car at 2 in the morning with about 5 acres of fabric?

Or packing the same away when it's wet from the rain?

Is there a danger that it becomes a hassle and then a reason not to use the car?

But if you're especially worried about cats on the roof then as Fat Haggis suggests a half cover will do the job.

7 hours ago, fat haggis said:

A cheap 987 srotmforce on eBay 

Is that a new German make 😂

https://www.stormcarcovers.co.uk/collections/porsche/products/porsche-car-covers-1?variant=610010881

Been using this for a year with no issues.

Yes the car has to be cleaned and dried before fitting, but saves the interior from UV fading in the summer, and grime in the winter.

I don't use it in windy weather.  It's breathable which means a little water can get through in very heavy downpours,but other than that a worthwhile investment .

It's nice to unwrap a clean car for the weekend. I wax the car twice a year, so the paintwork remains perfect.

Removing or putting the cover on takes 1 minute, once you learn the technique of removing (both sides rolled up to centre of roof, starting rolling into a ball from rear to front)

9 hours ago, Clivescoobydo said:

Just make sure the drains are clear and maybe try to get hold of a hard top in time.

A hard top for a 987 is expensive (1200 IIRC), a pain to store, stops you getting the roof down in winter... just not worth it for most people.

Try picking up a decent StormForce and living with it. If you find it a hassle, you can sell it for nearly the same price I think.

If you have no garage, where do you put it when you take it off? Stuff it in the frunk, or walk it back inside the house? Neither would be nice when wet...

Mine lives outside the whole time. I make sure that the roof is regularly (every 4 months or so) scrubbed and re-proofed. That and regular washing keeps it looking great. A cover only works if the car is for very occasional use. Putting it on/taking it off, storing it is too much bother.

Hi mate,

Exact same issue as you. When I bought my car just over 18 months ago it was also parked outside in a private carpark. However, this car park, as it is close to the river and the park, is rife with local cats, squirrels and loads of foxes, who brazenly climb the cars during the day.

As it was the soft roof they were after to claw and de-fur, I initially got a half cover like this:

https://cabrioshield.com/uk/porsche-boxster-2003-2012-standard.html

One of the easiest and quickest covers to put on. If you want ease, speed and not too bothered about the rest of the car, I'd highly recommend this.

However, what the pesky animals then started to do is use the rest of the car to leap off and will ultimately walk over to get to the roof, which left surface scratches from their claws in the paint. Thought I'd try cheap first and went with this:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PORSCHE-BOXSTER-986-987-ULTIMATE-TAILORED-WATERPROOF-OUTDOOR-CAR-COVER-200/281958490741

I've had this since last year and its fantastic. Covers the whole car, easy to put not, albeit not as quick as the half cover and requires straps below (can be a faff in the rain).

BUT, it protects the whole car, its already been roughed up pretty bad by the pesky cats doing their daily rub/claw, thick layers of fox hair on the roof and even hit by the kids when they play their ball games. Plus its nice when your cars nice and clean and you pop the cover off.

I was keen to get the stormforce but wanted to try something cheap first.

I'd also highly recommend getting a spare blue ikea bag for the frunk in case you store the cover there when its off, it'll stop the fabric getting dirty and hold any loose water just in case.

Hope that helps.

I have fot the same as Beanhead and happy with mine so far 👍

Archived