switching out CDR24 head unit -any suggestions

Grumpyoldman

So Halfords did a great job in fitting my new pioneer head unit

Now i have apple and pork combo which i would say compliments each other rather well

Apple car play and dab -great reception using the dab splitter -no need for an ugly screen aerial

Would recommend Haflords to anyone TBH

Just 50 squid to fit is a real bargain

Spent 4 hours on the job

He also fitted new Pioneer speakers and said when he tested them -they werent as good as the native ones -so he took them out put the original ones back and didnt charge me

How honest is that !

Have to i am very chuffed with the result as i was rather apprehensive

Very worthwhile upgrade IMHO -can now listen to spotify and sat nav on the screen

All looks very smart to boot

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That’s a result.  Like all places. It’s not the name over the door it’s the skill of the person with the tools in their hands, but honesty like that is rare. Give him a  “big up” email to head office I reckon  

Great news on the dab splitter and result on the whole setup  by the sounds   

I have a pioneer dab 230 in the daily driver and I think it’s a great bit of kit. I went for that over the 130 simply for resale (daily driver is worth less then the head unit ) the 230 does android as well as car play. 

Excellent news, would love to see a picture in situ.

I'm looking to do something similar to mine... Just always been a little wary of using Halfords for fitting 😀

If you don't mind me asking, how much was this in total? I looked on their site and they offer fitting for £50 "plus the cost of any additional parts used during installation."

Edit - Just noticed the Pioneer SPH-DA230DAB is down to £312 in a promo... Getting more tempted... Oh dear!

On 5/17/2019 at 8:29 PM, Jason986S said:

I personally wouldn’t let Halfords touch it. They were incapable of putting a basic single DIN dab radio unit in our Chrysler. They lost trim caps and never got it working at all. Sorry if this worries you, but they were shocking. We then paid a mobile local reputable ICE guy, who did a brilliant job. 

I'm glad the OP got a good result, but I wouldn't have had Halfords to do it either. Clearly each branch is different, but my only experience with their installers - admittedly more than 10 years ago - was when they tried to fit a Dension iCE-Link iPod FM modulator in Mrs61's car. Not the most complex of tasks as it was just fitting an ipod cradle, wiring in a small box to suitable power lines, and plugging the modulated output in-line with the ariel feed to the stereo - I can't remember why we got them to do it as I'd normally do things like that myself, but I think perhaps the purchase price included fitting. Anyway, when we got the car back and put an ipod in the cradle, not only did the Dension not work, but when I looked at what he'd done with the wiring, it was nothing like the installation instructions, and didn't stand a chance of working. It was as if he'd just connected wires at random behind the stereo, and he clearly hadn't tested it afterwards to check it worked. He must have been amazed that I didn't take it back to complain, but by the time I'd finished rectifying it, I didn't have any proof of just what a pig's ear he'd made of it, and I was so annoyed I didn't want to waste any more time arguing with them.

11 hours ago, Menoporsche said:

I'm surprised, but well done!

Yeah me too...I have seen some utterlt shocking bodge work by Halfords in the past....wonder what they did about the constant live that you need to feed in so the head-unit will work?

Glad the original poster is happy though I got the 230DAB on the Black Friday sales last year and fitted it this winter (Along with doing the climate button refurb)

IMG_4163_zpsj4bwyqyl.jpg

....absolute corker of a head unit and the CarPlay connectivity is brill, just need to upgrade the standard speakers for some 3 way Focals then I will be happy :)

11 hours ago, mustremembermylogin said:

Excellent news, would love to see a picture in situ.

I'm looking to do something similar to mine... Just always been a little wary of using Halfords for fitting 😀

If you don't mind me asking, how much was this in total? I looked on their site and they offer fitting for £50 "plus the cost of any additional parts used during installation."

Edit - Just noticed the Pioneer SPH-DA230DAB is down to £312 in a promo... Getting more tempted... Oh dear!

Total incl head unit ,cage ,splitter and fitting was £450 which i reckon is quite reasonable i reckon

When i took the box to a respected  local indy elcetrical specilaist i got the distinct impression they really didnt fancy it and said labour would be £150

2 hours ago, Nick_McUK said:

Yeah me too...I have seen some utterlt shocking bodge work by Halfords in the past....wonder what they did about the constant live that you need to feed in so the head-unit will work?

Glad the original poster is happy though I got the 230DAB on the Black Friday sales last year and fitted it this winter (Along with doing the climate button refurb)

IMG_4163_zpsj4bwyqyl.jpg

....absolute corker of a head unit and the CarPlay connectivity is brill, just need to upgrade the standard speakers for some 3 way Focals then I will be happy :)

yep mine looks exactly like that -ummhing and arrhing about whether its worth adding in the reversing camera which can be a retro fit on this head unit

6 minutes ago, Grumpyoldman said:

yep mine looks exactly like that -ummhing and arrhing about whether its worth adding in the reversing camera which can be a retro fit on this head unit

Yep I am thinking about it too....and some underseat sub woofer action too :)

10 minutes ago, Grumpyoldman said:

Total incl head unit ,cage ,splitter and fitting was £450 which i reckon is quite reasonable i reckon

When i took the box to a respected  local indy elcetrical specilaist i got the distinct impression they really didnt fancy it and said labour would be £150

Thats pretty standard the would have wanted to supply you the head unit too...they hate fitting stuff people have bought elsewhere as the first sign of anything going wrong and the fingers get pointed at them.

2 minutes ago, Dubdubz said:

excellent result as others have said - did you happen to have the DAB splitter info to hand?

guessing its one halfords sell?

Yeah I would prefer one of these as the stick on one I have looks utter poop!

4 hours ago, Nick_McUK said:

IMG_4163_zpsj4bwyqyl.jpg

Total matter of personal choice - and I only mention it because I prefer it the "other way around" and of course everyone may already know this - but there is a setting on the pioneer for the "icons/buttons" to be on the right hand side of the screen rather than the left - in my daily driver I find it more convenient for them to be on the right rather than reaching across the screen to select stuff. 

3 minutes ago, Paul P said:

Total matter of personal choice - and I only mention it because I prefer it the "other way around" and of course everyone may already know this - but there is a setting on the pioneer for the "icons/buttons" to be on the right hand side of the screen rather than the left - in my daily driver I find it more convenient for them to be on the right rather than reaching across the screen to select stuff. 

Oh is there??

....where is that then not found that in the plethora of bloody options it has!!

2 minutes ago, Nick_McUK said:

Oh is there??

....where is that then not found that in the plethora of bloody options it has!!

Will have to check when i am in the daily driver again (Porsche day today) - I think it's called "drive orientation" or similar

Just now, Paul P said:

Will have to check when i am in the daily driver again (Porsche day today) - I think it's called "drive orientation" or similar

Ahhh ok will pop out to the garage in a bit (joys of working from home!) and have a look

• 1 month later...
On 5/18/2019 at 9:59 AM, cambsnw8 said:

Interestingly my car has Bose and also an after market Pioneer Headunit. I've had Bose in the past with the CDR24 and it sounded much better with the CDR24. 

I wonder if they haven't wired it up correctly?

There's a good chance , I ordered a supposedly Bose wiring kit off then but it didn't have the fibre optic bit for Bose. There a fortune .

4 hours ago, Wrighty987 said:

There's a good chance , I ordered a supposedly Bose wiring kit off then but it didn't have the fibre optic bit for Bose. There a fortune .

There are two "types" of BOSE kits I have seen - one is a bypass, the other an adapter - i think if you bypass then you don't get the door speakers or the rears - just dash - but I may be confusing that with the SPP/ASK setup.

I ended up installing my PIoneer SPH 230DAB myself after the lad at Halfords Chadwell Heath half tried and failed!  He just thought he could simply plug it in and it would work.  Really wasn’t that difficult - it just needs a power supply from the fuse box as the Canbus supply won’t work with it.  I then installed a pair of Pioneer TSR 1750S speakers.  It now sounds great.  Total outlay including the fitting kit was about £410

Archived