switching out CDR24 head unit -any suggestions

Grumpyoldman

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Difference between Bose and non Bose for the purposes of a head unit swap out is one less adapter to be purchased. Saving about 150 in the process.  

I have a pioneer da230dab unit in my daily driver (not the boxster). It’s a good piece of kit and does what you want.  There are of course others. Sony is popular but I would recommend getting one with physical Buttons for volume. Touch screen is a bit of a pain for fiddly operations on the move. 

If going for a replacement head unit there is possibly some fiddling with wiring in addition to buying the correct harness. I think you need to make sure the amp (if you have one ) and the antenna booster get power and you may have to get an extra wire for switched live run from the fuse box. (Don’t thing the boxster supplies that onthe harness )

Retrofit dab antenna don’t seem to work well. They all seem to want to be Earthed against the body and have a stick on but that goes on the windscreen. 

I didn’t bother with dab on my daily driver.  Occasion use of radio fm is good enough and anything else I want i install the app on my phone and stream it over t’internet. 

Thanks Paul -i've just ordered pionner SPH-DA130DAB head unit which Halfords will fit for me for 50 quid next week

Has apply play and DAB which is what i want -am reception is dire and i like to listen to footie on radio on 5 live and talk sport

Speakers dont seem too great either -is it an easy fix to replace the speakers -any recommendations out there -Halfords suggested either pioneer or alpine ones

But technician seemed potentially  conerned about the  air bags in the doors wrt  fitting -or is it just a matter of screwing out the speaker units and wiring in new ones

Im sure they will work it all out

He suggested a dab splitter to use the inbuilt screen aerial -he seemed to know what he was doing

Airbags are “safe” if you disconnect the battery.  Porsche specify disconnect battery and wait 5 mins or so before you dive in. 

Its a well trodden path but would suggest getting the head unit done and then see what you think.  

Theres a couple of threads running on speaker replacement I don’t think the sizing is quiet standard.  Have a look at the threads and see what others have done. 

3 hours ago, Grumpyoldman said:

He suggested a dab splitter to use the inbuilt screen aerial -he seemed to know what he was doing

@Grumpyoldman, If you go for this I would be interested to hear how it goes. I replaced my head unit some time back but didn't want to fit the standard screen mounted aerial. I tried a couple of alternatives but though better looking they gave poor reception. I bit the bullet the other week and fitted the original screen mounted aerial and TBF the reception is half decent - but its still ugly. So if your splitter works I might try it.

Dave

27 minutes ago, entdgc said:

@Grumpyoldman, If you go for this I would be interested to hear how it goes. I replaced my head unit some time back but didn't want to fit the standard screen mounted aerial. I tried a couple of alternatives but though better looking they gave poor reception. I bit the bullet the other week and fitted the original screen mounted aerial and TBF the reception is half decent - but its still ugly. So if your splitter works I might try it.

Dave

Me too for the daily driver.  

On 5/15/2019 at 11:16 PM, entdgc said:

Dave

ok will do

I personally wouldn’t let Halfords touch it. They were incapable of putting a basic single DIN dab radio unit in our Chrysler. They lost trim caps and never got it working at all. Sorry if this worries you, but they were shocking. We then paid a mobile local reputable ICE guy, who did a brilliant job. 

On 5/15/2019 at 12:28 PM, Pezky said:

assuming your car doesn't have BOSE sound system it's very easy

Lots of threads in here

http://www.BoXa.net/forum/forum/16-in-car-amp-home-computer-amp-technology/

Interestingly my car has Bose and also an after market Pioneer Headunit. I've had Bose in the past with the CDR24 and it sounded much better with the CDR24. 

I wonder if they haven't wired it up correctly?

From one grumpy old man to a not quite old grumpy old man 

i have changed the cdr24 as was playing up . 

To the kenwood dmx7017dabs (has car play )  with JL audio c1-650 speakers and had rear camera fitted .

It sounds night and day compared to std set up . Think all in it was around £700 pounds fitted  

if your near derby your more than welcome to come try it . 

Ps mine was none Bose 

still procrastinating on stereo upgrades on mine - it is BOSE - I think I'm going to remove it all 

anyway the splitter thing I did not know existed - thanks for mentioning

one sort here https://www.amazon.co.uk/Connects2-CT27AA136-Universal-Splitter-Installation/dp/B00RVP2QTU

q. is the boxster screen aerial boosted ? and is that what the central filament is that I can see? #n00b 

6 minutes ago, Dubdubz said:

still procrastinating on stereo upgrades on mine - it is BOSE - I think I'm going to remove it all 

anyway the splitter thing I did not know existed - thanks for mentioning

one sort here https://www.amazon.co.uk/Connects2-CT27AA136-Universal-Splitter-Installation/dp/B00RVP2QTU

q. is the boxster screen aerial boosted ? and is that what the central filament is that I can see? #n00b 

Antenna is in the screen.  May well be central line (mine has gps which also has antenna in the screen ) so I have central on some horizontal ones. FM is one of them. 

It’s boosted. Booster is in the left hand a pillar.  They do fail occasionally.

The remote receiver is in there as well by the way.  

9 minutes ago, Paul P said:

Antenna is in the screen.  May well be central line (mine has gps which also has antenna in the screen ) so I have central on some horizontal ones. FM is one of them. 

It’s boosted. Booster is in the left hand a pillar.  They do fail occasionally.

The remote receiver is in there as well by the way.  

oh - well that booster scuppers the plan for the splitter as all the ones I have located so far suggest they will not work with a boosted system

stick on ugly it is then....

[or is it? ....waits for the collective to assist!.....]

Don’t know how the booster is connected, there may be an option to split antenna before the booster.  

But. If FM needs a booster and is still only “ok” at best with one then I doubt that the antenna is good enough pre booster for dab. 

2 minutes ago, Grumpyoldman said:

thanks -in that case what is that i took the image of ?

ok so i presume thats the blank metal plate where the amp would be located with the bose

Might i ask if the speaker panels in the doors come off easily and do the existing speakers screw out ? Same for the tweeters on the dash -how do they come out ?

Yes that's the metal plate where the amp would be, if it had one.

Not a job I've done myself so can't talk experience re it but a couple of links below re door card removal and some pics re the door/center console speakers.

Re the doors, don't forget to disconnect the battery first re the door airbags.

Sounds like a trim removal tool is recommended and expect to need some replacement clips re the doors.

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/boxster-cayman/198613-guide-removal-987-boxster-door-interior-door-panel-complete.html

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-s6ZvNsTYh65/learn/2005-2012-porsche-boxster.html

6 hours ago, iborguk said:

That would be the amp location if it had one, no amp in yours. 

Good summary here with some pics, scroll down the page a good way, you'll see a Vehicle Information section and the Boxster variants listed.

https://incartec.co.uk/instructions

BOSE amp is in the frunk. Ask amp ( in the case of the SPP) is apparently under the drivers (right hand) seat. 

Input to ask amp is apparently regular copper. No fibre involved. You may have to make sure the amp “wake up” signal is presented to get it to work. 

Archived