Anyone actually running a 'cheap chinese exhaust'?

thefunkygibbon

I have the Toyo box fitted and yes drones between 2.5K and 3 k .

I welded an equalising pipe in and got some custom made silencer inserts for long journeys or track days .

Drone is totally eliminated with this arrangement , and you can remove inserts for a spirited drive !

KT

And here's one of the equalising pipe

The inserts I got made  for 80 Euro in ST/ST and they welded in the equalising pipe FOC as they appreciated the " Experiment"

Its a cheap back box replacement ( mine had split) and with the inserts the drone has dramatically reduced ( not eliminated , just a significant  reduction )

With the inserts removed it makes the 2.5l sound very sporty indeed - I like it!

KT

Exhaust.JPG

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Morning all, I've what looks like a cheap aftermarket box arrangement on my early 2.5 986 which drones like hell between 2-3k RPM. Like the sound on full chat, but doing my head in on long runs.

Seems to already have a balance pipe welded in between the 2 silencers (amplifiers), but perhaps this setup might benefit from a @KT986 style mod to equalise the 2 tail pipes?

Starting to blow at the (standard) headers' flange to the cat pipe, and wondering if it's worth spending £££ on cheap headers to improve things?

I have a friendly exhaust shop nearby run by a friend, if I knew what I wanted he could probably make it up.

IMG_20201026_1011397.jpg

IMG_20201026_1012134.jpg

1 hour ago, Kay Pee said:

Morning all, I've what looks like a cheap aftermarket box arrangement on my early 2.5 986 which drones like hell between 2-3k RPM. Like the sound on full chat, but doing my head in on long runs.

Seems to already have a balance pipe welded in between the 2 silencers (amplifiers), but perhaps this setup might benefit from a @KT986 style mod to equalise the 2 tail pipes?

Starting to blow at the (standard) headers' flange to the cat pipe, and wondering if it's worth spending £££ on cheap headers to improve things?

I have a friendly exhaust shop nearby run by a friend, if I knew what I wanted he could probably make it up.

IMG_20201026_1011397.jpg

IMG_20201026_1012134.jpg

That looks like a custom made system to me , rather than the generic ebay type.

• 2 years later...
1 hour ago, Allan davie said:

Just fitted one only problem is can’t get body parts back on as the exhaust pipes are pointing up by fifteen degrees .

If you post a photo - especially of the mounts for the silencer - someone may have been there before and be able to help.

Have seen multiple silencer hanging options - some are “better” for fine tuning the alignment. 

I have a Toyosport version.

There was a bit of drone at 2700 - 3200 rpm but I put a pair of the £8 drone killers in them and now the drone has gone.

I can't detect any difference in performance. 

Sounds OK, different from the OE exhaust, but still has a nice howl above 5000 rpm.

3 hours ago, Allan davie said:

Just fitted one only problem is can’t get body parts back on as the exhaust pipes are pointing up by fifteen degrees .

I had something similar when I first fitted mine. In my case it was caused by bolting everything up solid starting from the manifolds. To correct it I just loosened all the bolts and was able to rotate the back box to be level with the rest of the system moving to take up the slack. I then retightened all the bolts (well, most of them @K.I.T.T.🤣)

X7J5RZn.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Nobbie said:

I then retightened all the bolts (well, most of them @K.I.T.T.🤣)

That was a funny day.

@Terryg following me, following you, trying to avoid that pipe when it fell off...

47925622307_b81d50982e_b.jpg

• Haha 2

Mad that I carried a 

On 8/5/2023 at 4:03 PM, K.I.T.T. said:

That was a funny day.

@Terryg following me, following you, trying to avoid that pipe when it fell off...

47925622307_b81d50982e_b.jpg

Mad that I carried all those tools in the frunk, but it was essential when you were on a run with @Nobbie

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1