Anyone actually running a 'cheap chinese exhaust'?

thefunkygibbon

I had one fitted (3.2 S) to get through the MOT as the OE had rotted at the usual seams.

Fit is ok went straight on but i fabricated a simple bracket to support the cats as these don't have the mounting 'loops' of the OE exhaust, not exactly needed but if the factory do it i'm in.

They sound great especially on cam BUT and it is a big but they are boomy at about 65-70mph to the extent it gets on your nerves if you happen to be doing a long journey on a motorway so 60 or 80 is the usual less annoying speed. No vids I'm afraid.

When I went out on a meet I was awarded the 'Chav exhaust' unofficial winner accolade, still haven't received my can of extra strong Cider for that.

I've still got it in the shed ,all yours cheap, PM if interested.

• Like 1

I've posted these thoughts a few times over but these exhausts sound best with the eBay manifolds. Less drone and an overall better tone. 

9 minutes ago, edc said:

I've posted these thoughts a few times over but these exhausts sound best with the eBay manifolds. Less drone and an overall better tone. 

I have the manifolds as well, still droned in cabin at 65-70.

Some believe that the issue is created as the two 'mufflers' (oxymoron) are not linked/balanced.

They're cheap so you have to accept the compromise.

They can ruin the pleasure of the drive... Go for the OEM part or a high quality aftermarket. I have heat wrapped mine th reduce the drone and as you get some miles in, it will reduce further... Be warned.. They are cheap for a reason! 

• Like 1

Never tried it with a cross over pipe but did have standard manifolds and eBay exhaust then eBay manifolds and exhaust. The latter sounds better. There is still a little drone but it is less. These are cheap and there is nothing wrong with that but slending a chunk of money to mod it seems a waste of cash. My preference is to mod to enhance something not take away something you don't fundamentally like. If you're modding in the second scenario then the base is wrong. 

• Like 1

I find the eBay manifolds enhance any system over the OE units. My 986 definitely sounded smooth and fruity with no deep tones. But then I had Dansk/Janspeed sports cats and rear box respectively which was lovely (especially with all fresh gaskets).

1 hour ago, Jason986S said:

I find the eBay manifolds enhance any system over the OE units. My 986 definitely sounded smooth and fruity with no deep tones. But then I had Dansk/Janspeed sports cats and rear box respectively which was lovely (especially with all fresh gaskets).

Definitely agree with that. Even with standard cats and exhaust the engine feels much freer revving at the top with the manifolds. Having tried a fair few combinations happy to still be on eBay manifolds, sports cars and Carnewal some 4+ years later. 

• Like 1

Has anybody ever just cut out the front cats and replaced with straight pipe, been reading that changing the headers on a 987 gen 1 is pointless....??

Aftermarket stainless 987 eBay decat manifolds are only £185 for a pair with gaskets. Will make MOT time a pain in the bum though if you have to swap them out and that isn’t your thing.

link: https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F181266994965

When my sports cats failed on my 986S (in my second year of ownership MOT), I had them cut open and gutted out by a friend. Made little difference to the overall sound really as they were super free flowing anyway. I just bought some second hand cats to pop on for the MOT (bit of a faff, but worth it for the overall performance & sound when decatted).

Edited by Jason986S

40 minutes ago, craig987 said:

Has anybody ever just cut out the front cats and replaced with straight pipe, been reading that changing the headers on a 987 gen 1 is pointless....??

There's only 1 pair of cats on a 986. I think @Berty987 has done the most experimentation on a 987. I think he dyno'd cheap sports manifolds and standard and nigh on little difference. 

• Like 1

@thefunkygibbon I had to replace the manifolds when one cracked, so got the eBay ones and then @Mark Hereford bought the Toyosport exhaust to go on a car he then sold, so I thought I'd give it a go🙂. I'd had the exhaust off a couple of weeks ago, so it was pretty easy to fit and I was surprised that it all went on so easily and aligned perfectly. Took me about an hour and a half.

mQo6y9d.jpg

This is the original exhaust (you need to tap speaker in top right to enable sound)

https://i.imgur.com/RybwAPw.mp4

Here's the Toyosport 

https://i.imgur.com/Vg0KYQY.mp4

and here's me testing it through a tunnel🙉

https://i.imgur.com/XXPfFjJ.mp4

It certainly drones a bit on the motorway, but only bad if you are using a bit of throttle. Most noticeable is the extra noise when bumbling around town. Difficult to make progress without drawing attention to yourself😊. My car is a toy for weekends, so I can probably live with it, but if not it's easy enough to swap back or I might try a couple of motorbike silencers to tone it down a bit. For £120 it's a bit of fun that is easily reversed😎, certainly would do this to a daily driver🙉

I suspect doing the balance pipe mod on it would be like putting lipstick on a pig and would probably cost as much as the exhaust, so I'll leave that option to others.

Edited by Nobbie

I have the Toyo back box on mine, fitted it last year (really easy fit, hardest part was cutting off one of the ole seized bolts on the top bracket) and a really good fit on the car and considerably lighter than the standard exhaust. 

As lready stated by others, it does drone at around 65 / 70 mph on motorway or cruising generally at around 3000 rpm but put your foot down and the exhaust note is intoxicating 😀

After a few months I replaced the manifolds and cats for a full stainless de-cat system and I do not get any drone at any speed or rpm range now. It does sound rather beefy and rumbly at low rpm and people can hear you, but I wouldn’t say it’s OTT (not like a fiesta with a boom cannon zorst on it!) and the car sounds great when driving and I love opening it and let it sing, the flat 6 sounds great at full chat and it really does give a noticeable difference in pull on the car (it could still do with a little more mid, but thinking of a re- ap to be;p with that).

ultimately it depends on what you want, I found the OE exhaust too quiet and didn’t compliment the engine enough and wanted to try and improve performance, so I did my upgrades for a couple of reasons, but I would possibly consider another sports exhaust if I did it agin, but would keep the same manifolds and de-cat pipes, I don’t see the point in doing half a hi , if you’re going to upgrade your exhaust do it properly and change the entire system over. Good time to change the lambdas and gaskets whilst you do the exhaust, my system will certainly outlast my ownership of the car, so for around £600 all in I think it’s good value for money, but as with anything it’s subjective and I’m sure others would just think I’m a tit for changing something Porsche designed for something non-standard!!! 

• Like 1

On 6/28/2019 at 3:16 PM, Nobbie said:

@thefunkygibbon I had to replace the manifolds when one cracked, so got the eBay ones and then @Mark Hereford bought the Toyosport exhaust to go on a car he then sold, so I thought I'd give it a go🙂. I'd had the exhaust off a couple of weeks ago, so it was pretty easy to fit and I was surprised that it all went on so easily and aligned perfectly. Took me about an hour and a half.

mQo6y9d.jpg

This is the original exhaust (you need to tap speaker in top right to enable sound)

https://i.imgur.com/RybwAPw.mp4

Here's the Toyosport 

https://i.imgur.com/Vg0KYQY.mp4

and here's me testing it through a tunnel🙉

https://i.imgur.com/XXPfFjJ.mp4

It certainly drones a bit on the motorway, but only bad if you are using a bit of throttle. Most noticeable is the extra noise when bumbling around town. Difficult to make progress without drawing attention to yourself😊. My car is a toy for weekends, so I can probably live with it, but if not it's easy enough to swap back or I might try a couple of motorbike silencers to tone it down a bit. For £120 it's a bit of fun that is easily reversed😎, certainly would do this to a daily driver🙉

I suspect doing the balance pipe mod on it would be like putting lipstick on a pig and would probably cost as much as the exhaust, so I'll leave that option to others.

Pleased your happy with it Rob ...sounds good

The 987 gen1 3.2 uses a good design of manifold/ header, its only limitation is the 400 cell cat. Unless you can find similar length inlet runners on a performance catless  manifold ,  you are unlikely to get much improvement . Changing the manifold primary length adjusts the torque point so the fuelling and peak power will be sub optimised. As a result you may gain top end power but you actuilly lose power in the mid range which is ideally where you want it most on a road car.  If you have the later 3.4 headers/ manifolds fitting the earlier 3.2 manifolds is probably the best option. I've yet to find stand alone manifolds that actually give an improvement over the stock 3.2. In most cases you need to buy a matched complete system ( including rear silencers) , something like supersprint etc. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jason986S said:

I’m tempted to fit decat manifolds after my  next MOT. But not sure it would actually gain alot other than expense and stress.

I've always thought it was a rather peculiar thing to do for the amount of aggro that must be involved. Probably slightly iffy legally as well if you plan on using on the road. 

14 hours ago, jonogt6 said:

I've always thought it was a rather peculiar thing to do for the amount of aggro that must be involved. Probably slightly iffy legally as well if you plan on using on the road. 

Ive had decats on 90% of my modified cars over the years tbh. Never had any issues, just the hassle of swapping over for a legit MOT.