Apple CarPlay for 981s ???

zagamuffin

Don’t see any reference to PCM in there. 

As others have said It appears to be for Android based head units to give them Apple car play compatability. 

It says you have to install an app on the head unit and it’s for android head unit and wince in the description. 

• 2 weeks later...

I've done it, although not personally - Apple CarPlay fitted to my 981 Boxster, PCM 3.1, today and it works seamlessly - maps, music, messages, Siri.

Highly recommend NM automotive product and Sexstons, Wandsworth, installers - all completely professional. Porsche PCM still available too if needed.

Barry

IMG_0989.JPG

1 hour ago, Patt said:

What am I missing here ?

I thought that the PCM does everything Carplay does - PLUS utilises the screen in the dash pod. ??

With PCM you are missing Waze, Google or Apple Maps all with real time traffic info and totally up to date mapping and speed cameras (Waze). And that's just the navigation!

And this system uses the same dashboard screen too, just shows the iPhone apps.

If I see you at Blackbushe on Sunday I can show you.

2 hours ago, BarrySt said:

With PCM you are missing Waze, Google or Apple Maps all with real time traffic info and totally up to date mapping and speed cameras (Waze). And that's just the navigation!

And this system uses the same dashboard screen too, just shows the iPhone apps.

If I see you at Blackbushe on Sunday I can show you.

Plus TomTom is now carplay compatible as well. And you get to use Siri instead of the cars own voice recognition stuff. 

I use CarPlay in my everyday car particularly Waze. The camera locations, traffic, alternate routing and live police/camera positions in particular if your crossing the unofficial toll on the m74 is a point saver on its own. Also being completely screened based it’s easy to navigate. I’ve got a trip along the south coast in August and I’ll be putting my phone in the cup holder and if that doesn’t work I’ll be getting the nmautos upgrade to the pcm added before heading for some longer continental trips next year.

Waze and Spotify are great in car play mode, use them everyday.

Theres a Carplay update due later this year also, which will mean split screen to show multiple apps.

Car play is a big winner for me vs my old 981 S PCM.

I think CarPlay is vastly overrated. Most of the apps available are either radio stations or music streaming services. I have a built in DAB radio in the PCM and all the Toons I need are stored on the phone.

The only time I use carplay is to access Google Maps.

45 minutes ago, Happy Days said:

I think CarPlay is vastly overrated. Most of the apps available are either radio stations or music streaming services. I have a built in DAB radio in the PCM and all the Toons I need are stored on the phone.

The only time I use carplay is to access Google Maps.

Which i assume you use for navigation? In which case it serves it purpose. 

Carplay is far better than PCM, even in my 718 and it was a Porsche salesman that originally alerted me to that fact.

Choice of google maps or waze for nav, works far better for sending/receiving messages etc. Overall just better.

1 hour ago, PowerMalc said:

I assume it is pointless getting this upgrade from NM autos as I have an Android phone (Samsung galaxy S7)

Actually I believe that "unofficially" it also supports Android Play. But check with NM Auto.

Carplay fan in my daily would use it in the boxster if it was an option but I have a good enough setup. Pcm nav because I like it (but a judgement call re traffic re routing ) so sometimes google maps (or tomtom but the jury is out)  I like the simplified UI and the access the music / nav and handsfree messaging  

but I can’t stand Waze.  Crowd sourced nonsense. Sure hidden in every 9 different reports of the same thing over a quarter mile is some real info but the routing is nonsense. “White van Man wazer reports leaving the bypass, cutting across 3 lanes of traffic and driving for 600 yds up the hard shoulder is 9 seconds faster then just staying where you are” doesn’t even say “I have found a route that is 9 seconds faster” it just suddenly routes you off the road. 

And it suffers from the “i must tweet news of a crisp packet in lane one” syndrome  put it on anywhere on the south east and it will say “pothole reported ahead”  yup  you are right  

i had “roadkill” the other day  a pigeon sadly came second on the m11   

Tried lots of combos  current setup is google maps and cyclops app ( for speed cameras)  not perfect but it works and in the boxster I use pcm where I can because I like the integration  google maps when i need real help  

I think of carplay as a nice way of getting the phone to show and do car things in a more car centric way  if I had to choose car play or pcm nav in next car I would probably take car play but as always, we have choice  

i haven’t used it but I imagine android auto is much the same and if your media consumption and nav solutions  are phone  based it beats the hell out of looking at the phone screen  

• 2 weeks later...

Archived