987.1 Rear coil spring - MOT fail

Deano37

Hello,

Just got back from MOT and car has failed on broken offside rear coil spring. 

So, i am looking to do the job myself, but don't know whether to replace like for like or go for the likes of the HR springs that lower the car also.

Any recommendations?

Car is a 987.1 2005 3.2S

I went for 20mm lower Eibach springs. There is a bit of work in fitting them as you need to undo the drive shafts and of course a full 4 wheel alignment afterwards, also it can be difficult to get the rear setting within limits. What sort of mileage is on your car and what state are the dampers in?

Thanks for the reply

Its got 101K on the clock, with full Porsche service history.

Not sure about the dampers until i take a look at the weekend. I presume they are OK, otherwise would have been highlighted at the MOT?

Not weeping is all the MOT is about ,at that mileage once it's stripped down replace , the back end is a bit of a faff, not something you realistically want to repeat.

4 minutes ago, bally4563 said:

Not weeping is all the MOT is about ,at that mileage once it's stripped down replace , the back end is a bit of a faff, not something you realistically want to repeat.

Makes sense top do it all once. Thanks

On 6/24/2019 at 5:50 PM, Deano37 said:

Hello,

Just got back from MOT and car has failed on broken offside rear coil spring. 

So, i am looking to do the job myself, but don't know whether to replace like for like or go for the likes of the HR springs that lower the car also.

Any recommendations?

Car is a 987.1 2005 3.2S

I have the same car and at similar mileage broke the same spring. I went for HR 10mm lowered and 20k later still very pleased with them. It scrapes speed humps etc enough as it is without going lower. They give a slightly firmer ride but with a bit of luggage in the frunk and 2 up its perfect IMHO and they are cheap compared with the original ones. They do look good a bit lower but for day to day use the handling is good enough for me including a few hairpins in the Alps and a couple of tracks.

I thought it might have dropped a bit more but measured them recently ant they are still 10mm lower at the front and 15mm lower at the back compared to standard. You should definitely get a full geo check afterwards as well as that makes a lot of difference as well.

Thanks for the guidance, really appreciate it! 

I did look at going for the 30mm lowering, but we have quite a lot of speed humps around us, so it would be a pain trying to avoid them or scrape the bottom of the car.

Did you change anything else while you had the suspension apart, i.e. any bushes etc or just the springs?

Well I didn’t do the springs myself (although I could have) as it was an MOT failure as well so best to just let the garage keep it and get on with it so I could have it back next day. Since then I have changed the lower ‘coffin’ arms which are well worth doing at the same time as they can be had very cheaply if you shop around. The original bushes were really buggered in them and it made quite a bit of difference as allowed the suspension to move about. I just bought pattern ones for about £50 a corner and they seem very well made. I also did a post with all the part numbers so you can look them up which will save you hours trying to suss out. FYI although my car is registered 2006 it was made as late as nov 2005 (on the back of the floor mats) so pretty sure the part numbers will be the same. You need to be careful as the fronts have different bushes to 986’s etc although the rears may be the same. Pay attention to the tightening torques if you take it apart yourself (which I did wrong) as you need to tighten the lower arm inner nuts with it sat level or it could wreck the inner bushes. Be interested if you change the shocks and can post pics as still have to do mine sometime. Oh and also definitely buy new top mount bearings for about a tenner each as they will most likely be shot.

4 hours ago, Deano37 said:

Thanks for the info BuzzIt.

Tried to find your post with the part numbers on, but haven't had any success. Any chance you could point me in the right direction?

Thanks

Yep you were right not easy to find.

Here you go.

http://www.BoXa.net/forum/topic/75092-9871-coffin-arm-part-numbers/?tab=comments#comment-961258

If you have to split the bottom ball joint to remove the strut (I don’t know off the top of my head) it may damage the ball joint boot using a Pickle fork - well it buggered most of mine anyway although as I was replacing a wasn’t being particularly careful. Worth bearing in mind.

So, having had lots of fun replacing the broken coil spring yesterday, i have now come to put it back together and cant for the life of me find any torque settings?

I have goggled and searched this forum but to no avail. 

Any help/guidance of where to look would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Archived