DRL Daytime Running Lights (Advice Needed, please)

Verner

Hi,

I really want to get a set of DRL's and not just use the hack.

Can someone recommend a set, or where I can get them from please? I have seen a couple on eBay, both seem to be identical but vary from £170-280.00 in price (confused!?!?!?)

One other quick question, on my 2006 987, will I have to manually turn them on or can they be set to come on straight away?

Any help would be greatly appreciated please,

SSJGqP1.jpg

Best wishes from North Yorkshire,

Verner

Hi Verner, not sure if the 2006 has the same OBC stuff as my 2009. A couple of members said to look into the OBC where it gives you oil, time etc and scroll down until you find lights, you can  then set the fogs to become drl's, check your owners book, it'll tell you in there. Other then that, from what i've read here on the forum, yep, costs do vary for the aftermarket led drl's, thing is, apparently they stick out slightly, do look good though. Type in DRL's in the search box, I'm sure it'll bring up the relevant info on suppliers.

All the best, M (bit of glue needed on your number plate screw) !!

8 hours ago, Verner said:

Hi,

I really want to get a set of DRL's and not just use the hack.

Can someone recommend a set, or where I can get them from please? I have seen a couple on eBay, both seem to be identical but vary from £170-280.00 in price (confused!?!?!?)

One other quick question, on my 2006 987, will I have to manually turn them on or can they be set to come on straight away?

Any help would be greatly appreciated please,

SSJGqP1.jpg

Best wishes from North Yorkshire,

Verner

Simples. All the DRL's i've seen ( and have on my car) appear to be from the same Taiwanese supplier, whether on Ebay or for example Design911. It's a very simple fix once you know how (do a search on here, including my call for help when i had a problem, then easily sorted). You need to do the home switch hack (also easy) so the drl's light as soon as you fire up the engine.

Many thanks for your kind help. 

So something like these will be fine? 

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F271483022587

Then apply the hack to get then to switch on automatically!? 

Thanks again, 

Best wishes, 

Verner

4 hours ago, Verner said:

Many thanks for your kind help. 

So something like these will be fine? 

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F271483022587

Then apply the hack to get then to switch on automatically!? 

Thanks again, 

Best wishes, 

Verner

Yep, those are the exact ones. May have to fiddle slightly with one of the locating holes in the bumper (passenger side) and make sure to take the bulb holder out of the existing lights to give you male/female connectors. Then uktinpol hack and sorted. I and others have also painted or wrapped the surrounds to make less obtrusive - mine were chrome which I resprayed body colour. 

One last question, 

Are there front indicators included in the DRLs? Forgive me if that is a stupid question...

Best wishes,

Verner

4 minutes ago, Verner said:

One last question, 

Are there front indicators included in the DRLs? Forgive me if that is a stupid question...

Best wishes,

Verner

Nope, hopefully you've already got some in the headlight unit ! ;)

11 hours ago, MAC99V said:

Hi Verner, not sure if the 2006 has the same OBC stuff as my 2009. A couple of members said to look into the OBC where it gives you oil, time etc and scroll down until you find lights, you can  then set the fogs to become drl's, check your owners book, it'll tell you in there. Other then that, from what i've read here on the forum, yep, costs do vary for the aftermarket led drl's, thing is, apparently they stick out slightly, do look good though. Type in DRL's in the search box, I'm sure it'll bring up the relevant info on suppliers.

All the best, M (bit of glue needed on your number plate screw) !!

Apparently this is only available on the 987.1 if you have Sports Chrono Plus. It doesn't set the fogs, it sets the headlights to dipped beam.  I have it and have done so. But only with SC+ as I've understood (tried to advise another member years ago, was told it wouldn't work as he didn't have that option).

I suspect there is also a setting in PIWIS but then you'd need a dealer or someone similar to switch it off again, if you felt like it. Verner you could ask your indie, if you wanted that option.

987.2 - no sports chrono, standard headlight - DRL option in the onboard computer, sets rear lights and dipped headlights on as standard - likely other light combos available from PIWIS but haven't played (I think perhaps fog leds strip instead of dipped headlight and possibly indicators )

10 hours ago, red rocket said:

Nope, hopefully you've already got some in the headlight unit ! ;)

Told you it was a stupid question.... 

😂

Thanks,

Verner 

On 7/30/2019 at 9:49 AM, red rocket said:

Simples. All the DRL's i've seen ( and have on my car) appear to be from the same Taiwanese supplier, whether on Ebay or for example Design911. It's a very simple fix once you know how (do a search on here, including my call for help when i had a problem, then easily sorted). You need to do the home switch hack (also easy) so the drl's light as soon as you fire up the engine.

RR would you recommend the "Clear" Daytime Running Lights for the 987 or the "Smoke" housing?

I am unsure of what the actual difference is and what would suit my Lapis Blue 987 the best...

Smoke:-
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/333133916457

Clear:-
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2005-2008-PORSCHE-BOXSTER-987-LED-DRL-Daytime-Running-Lights-SMOKE-or-CLEAR-UK-/271483022587

Sorry for all the questions,

Best wishes,

Verner

I fitted these lights on my previous 987.1 and even painted the frames black to blend them in. My only regret was that I get the smoked version, the actual leds in the lights are yellow and after a while it annoyed me but I think the slight tint would get rid of that.

34251710174_a1fa6b2fa4_b.jpg

They do give great light👍

20171003_210026

I think the rear leds really tidy up the rear end as well 😉

20171003_205756

35699034500_c61a0f5554_b.jpg

This was the front of mine in the daylight.

35084481274_696f7f179f_b.jpg

4 hours ago, Verner said:

RR would you recommend the "Clear" Daytime Running Lights for the 987 or the "Smoke" housing?

I would have been tempted by the Smoked version but I was buying second hand so no choice.

I bought brand new but there were no smoked available at the time. It’s a small difference and most people wouldn’t even notice. In the end I went back to oem and fitted the Sports splitters and I was really happy with that look 👌

20180216_160724

Someone really needs to start making a 987.2 (hopefully non-protruding) canbus compatible version of these for a reasonable price, for all of the non-Xenon cars out there with halogen fog lights and just the led side/parking light strip.... I suspect the proper led drl’s from the Xenon cars are incompatible wiring-wise and are stupidly expensive from OPC in any case....

Wow! Thanks for the great advice everyone. So the general consensus is that SMOKED is probably preferable?

The rear LEDs look great too, but haven't seen them for sale anywhere. Anyone any pointers of where to pick a set up?

So many questions, sorry...

Thanks guys I really appreciate all your kind help,

Best wishes,

Verner

987.2 have DRL settings available in the on  board computer  

By default on the non xenon you get dipped headlights. 

Manipulating with a PIWIS you can change that to fogs. 

You also by default get rear “side” lights. (Which are led on the .2) Again. You can change than with a piwis and apparently if you are that way inclined you can make the rears flash on syncs with indicators.  

There are also options for making the DRLs turn off when flashing the lights and you can also turn the menu option for having them off (again all PIWIS)

the one config I couldn’t get was the led strip that is normal “non drl mode” sidelights. That appears to just go away altogether if you enable drls ( and switching to “”side” on the headlamp switch with drl enabled actually results in no lights on at the front which is weird. 

Archived