Does a faulty MAF always give a CEL on a Boxster S 986?

stupidget

As the title suggests, does a faulty MAF always give you a CEL?  Reason I ask is that I've noticed that when I  accelerate (in any gear) at just over 2k RPM there is a loss of power/sluggishness until I get to 3k RPM and then everything is fine.  I looked about and quite a few people have had this and the general consensus has been 'drive over 3k RPM all the time'.

My initial thought was that it's a failed/faulty MAF, but, there is no CEL on my dash.  Would a dodgy MAF give a code that I could see with an ODB reader rather than a CEL?

As topradio says, you won't necessarily get a CEL for a dodgy MAF sensor on a UK car, because the DME is programmed not to give one.  (US cars do.)  Eventually, when the fault reaches a certain point, and the mixture adjustment reaches an upper/lower limit, then you will get the CEL as it is emmissions related.  Normally, you get an ABS/PSM warning light first.  That's beacause the DME and PSM control units talk to each other, and the PSM thinks it is receiving an implausible signal.  A faulty MAF will trigger a fault code in the DME, but you might only be able to read it with a Porsche specific tester.

If you have an OBD2 reader, read off the Mass Air Flow volume.  It should be about 15kg/hour at idle, and increase progressively with engine revs.  If it reads very low/high at idle, or doesn't follow a linear increase with revs, then it needs changing.

@Richard Hamilton and @topradio thanks for the heads-up on what needs doing.  I'm getting an OBD2 reader tomorrow so hopefully it'll be a dodgy MAF. Fingers crossed.

12 hours ago, stupidget said:

@Richard Hamilton and @topradio thanks for the heads-up on what needs doing.  I'm getting an OBD2 reader tomorrow so hopefully it'll be a dodgy MAF. Fingers crossed.

Easy to check without reader. 

Disconnect your maf and drive. If the symptoms gone, it will be maf.

i have not had a maf connected on my Boxsters for years. Only for MOT. 

The default program that kicks on when you disable maf is more than proficient to potter along quite nicely, as @JohnK will atest. 

@Mr96er Does that mean that you have the CEL on all the time as you've got the MAF disconnected?

so I've disconnected the MAF and, without wanting to over exaggerate, it's like a different car.  Revs are really smooth with no spluttering, tip gear changes smooth without delay between revs and it's great.  Question is, do I just leave it unplugged until MOT or do I get a new one fitted?

used one of those ELM327 Wifi plug-in's and there was indeed a previous MAF code, among some misfire ones.  I've cleared all the codes and will give it a blast when I drive over to see my mate later. Thanks to @topradio and @Richard Hamilton for you guidance 👍

3 hours ago, stupidget said:

so I've disconnected the MAF and, without wanting to over exaggerate, it's like a different car.  Revs are really smooth with no spluttering, tip gear changes smooth without delay between revs and it's great.  Question is, do I just leave it unplugged until MOT or do I get a new one fitted?

So glad that worked out for you. I remember the new car feeling the first time I figured it out. 

Get a decent used one from Steve Strange for £30 or less and pop it in for MOT. Leave it in or go back to standard. Either way you’ll have better engine performance. 

That Steve Strange ebay shop is excellent.

Just tried my EML327 after I'd cleared all the codes and it came up with the MAF one straight away.  At least I know my £8 OBD2 reader works 🙂

You’ll probably notice from cold it feels a little different. This i believe is because the maf acts like the old choke on a carb. Mixes the fuel for cold start and then adjusts. 

I tend not to notice it these days, as I get in and drive. 

I haven’t seen a check engine light since most dick was a minnow👍

I’d worry about longer term damage running with the MAF disconnected permanently. At the end of the day it’s there to do a job. May as well just put a new one in, Bosch apparently are the ones to go for.

Archived