What could possibly go wrong?

mat1

A couple of things to consider.  If you go for a non approved size then some insurance companies can be somewhat uppity, lots of people do this (on various cars) but still worth considering. PS2s were very well regarded, but this is quite an old design now, if you do go this route make sure you aren’t buying old stock that are already 3-4 years old.  Having said that the ‘N’ rated version of this tyre is up to ‘N4’ so obviously they do update the tyre frequently. If it were me I’d probably go with the PS2.

15 hours ago, mat1 said:

I kinda want to change them at some point as Potenzas reportedly have poor cold/wet performance and this is my daily.

Welcome to our world :thumbsup_still:

I had Potenzas on my previous car (Fiesta ST) and went through a couple of sets of fronts (its handling was a hoot..!)

I definitely noticed when part worn, so 3mm to 4mm, their ability to cope with standing water fell off a cliff.

With regards to you leaving the tyres until later...

I've always been cautious about tyres (some would call me paranoid) as I view them as the only way your car touches the road. No point in having great brakes if the tyres cant grip.

It sounds like you've got decent tread depth, but please don't get into the habit of doing too much other work and constantly putting them off.

Enjoy your toy..!

On 8/26/2019 at 5:30 PM, Greenman said:

If you go for a non approved size then some insurance companies can be somewhat uppity

Is this based on any actual experience.? Mine weren't interested in the size as long as legal, and meets or exceeds the load rating of the oe size. 

Probably lots of cars out there with non oe sizes, like people running 987 wheels and tyres on a 986 for example. 

Don't think the insurers would have a leg to stand on if they refused a claim based on non oe sizes fitted, but still best to check with them. 

4 hours ago, PaulQ said:

Is this based on any actual experience.? Mine weren't interested in the size as long as legal, and meets or exceeds the load rating of the oe size. 

Probably lots of cars out there with non oe sizes, like people running 987 wheels and tyres on a 986 for example. 

Don't think the insurers would have a leg to stand on if they refused a claim based on non oe sizes fitted, but still best to check with them. 

Not based on any direct experiance by me, just based on a pistonheads thread where someone had a claim refused for none approved tyres for the car, though in their case they were fairly extreme I believe.

i expect that legally they would have plenty of legs to stand on (if undeclared) if you are using a tyre size not approved by the manufacturer for your car,  it could clearly be argued to be a safety issue and/or affect braking/handling.

20 minutes ago, mat1 said:

What tyres are you guys running?

Me - MPS4 (huge handling improvement over the MPS3 I got it with, a lot more pointy)

A few folk inc @rowbos are on the MPS4S

And I know @Grizzlee is a big fan of his GY Eagles

I got Goodyear Eagles, reading around they have 95% the performance of the Michelins (market leaders) for 70% of the price, and as my car does 2000 stress-free miles per year it would be stupid to pay extra for something (else) I wouldn't use.

@mat1 reading the above whilst there are differing selections, the common denominator is they are all quality tyres from the better manufacturers.

Personally I will always spend money on the tyres first as they are what keeps the car on the road and stops it rather than because of their Grimit (I've just leaned the term and I'm going to abuse it) levels on the ring 

Basically, don't get remolds... 

1 hour ago, John K said:

@mat1 

Basically, don't get remolds... 

Never heard of remoulds! I'll steer clear..

Looks like everyone is running 19's then?

Annoyingly it looks like none of the newer designs are available in 18s.

I don't want to pay top whack for new Potenzas to keep things matched but I also can't really justify/afford a full set of PS2's..

On 8/27/2019 at 10:32 PM, Greenman said:

it could clearly be argued to be a safety issue and/or affect braking/handling.

I disagree, but I guess if your that parinoid then you will probably be fitting n rated oe size tyres anyway. 

32 minutes ago, mat1 said:

Looks like everyone is running 19's then?

Annoyingly it looks like none of the newer designs are available in 18s.

I run 18's for more sidewall for slightly less NVH and less wincing over potholes.

I'll go outside and check what the exact sizes are. I know ATS needed to order them in for the PS4 model

They do not look as good but I'm not fussed

32 minutes ago, mat1 said:

Never heard of remoulds! I'll steer clear..

They were a big thing when I was growing up for folk who wanted really cheap rubber.

How Are Remould Tyres Made?

Retread tyres are made using existing tyres with worn treads. These tyres have their threadbare tread and sidewalls removed and have new rubber moulded to the sturdy tyre carcass. Remould tyres are made to high quality standards and are heavily tested and regulated by the ECE to ensure they are safe to drive. Retread tyres are never made from unsafe or unsound tyres, only those with worn treads.

5 hours ago, John K said:

Me - MPS4 (huge handling improvement over the MPS3 I got it with, a lot more pointy)

A few folk inc @rowbos are on the MPS4S

And I know @Grizzlee is a big fan of his GY Eagles

Michelin Pilot Sport 2 (N2) on 19" turbo1 alloys

Very pleased with road noise reduction, performance and grip (wet & dry)

The Goodyear's that came with the car, had hardened over 6 years. Plenty of tread left, but way past their prime.

2 hours ago, John K said:

I run 18's for more sidewall for slightly less NVH and less wincing over potholes.

I'll go outside and check what the exact sizes are. I know ATS needed to order them in for the PS4 model

Please let me know what you are running! Your cars factory spec is the same as mine 235/40/R18 - 265/40/R18 .

1 hour ago, mat1 said:

Please let me know what you are running! Your cars factory spec is the same as mine 235/40/R18 - 265/40/R18 .

235x40x18 Fronts

275x35x18 Rears (I was happy to over size these to give some 'rim protection'. I don't know if the 265/40/18 were easy to get or not)

ATS ordered them in MPS4

The MPS4 were defo better than the MP3S, It was an understeer monster with those on it. The 4 have made it better. On the 10th Lee is going to play with the geo to try and get me a very pointy fast road set up.

Me likey a twitchy bum :thumbsup_still:

Hope this helps..!

8 hours ago, Rob™ said:

17s for winter (comfy, but look...less good) and 19s for summer...

I too have 17s for winter but also run 17s for summer  Conti WinterSports and Michelin Pilot Sport 2s

On 8/30/2019 at 5:39 PM, John K said:

235x40x18 Fronts

275x35x18 Rears (I was happy to over size these to give some 'rim protection'. I don't know if the 265/40/18 were easy to get or not)

275 wow!!

Yeah 265/40/18 doesn't exist outside of America unfortunately. £1100 for a full set landed from TyreRack.com so maybe that's something for the distant future 😮

Archived