F@ck!!

Mr96er

Just drove my Boxster... fired it up in the garage, backed it out pointed it down the drive and indicated left...

...What happened next frankly made me angry at myself for buying the 911🤯

These cars are frickin’ awesome! I love it. I wish I hadn’t waited until all the household chores were done before getting her out. I’m going to say it...

Just let me prepare myself for what has to come next..

13 minutes ago, Bluepork03 said:

I suspect you may be right! 

Certainly feels that way...

Winner 911

I feel like a better Boxster pilot for having begun to understand the 911....

or maybe it’s just absence making the heart grow fonder🤷🏾‍♂️

On 9/8/2019 at 6:59 PM, Mr96er said:

I think the 911 has made me enjoy the Boxster...even more😱

Ive had many 911 through the years and I love my Boxster, however I prefer it for many reasons, one of which is I don’t have huge amount of money tied up in it, so am not hugely precious over it, like I would be with a more expensive car. Don’t get me wrong I do look after it and cherish it but I would happy to leave it parked up on a london street etc.

straight line speed is missed in the box but it more than makes up for it on the twisty stuff, or even on a small track like snetterton, it’s unfortunately a bit lost at Silverstone and other larger tracks that have many long straights, Ive toured in over to the south of France and with the two boots it’s more practical then the 911’s

This is an interesting thread...

I've always wondered why the 911 has had such a strong draw and following.

I've not driven one so can't compare and TBH probably wouldn't want to as I was a little scared it would be SO AMAZING I would never get back in the Boxster

Reading Loz's thread, I'm now not so sure... Confused... :huh:

This does make fabulous reading! 

Thank you all for your contributions which are helping me think through if any action is required, or if I should just realise I am happy and leave as is. 

I drove several 911s when I was thinking about changing my Boxster. I just didn't get the 911, I think they look great and I love that black one in the Cotswold advert.

When I first drove my Boxster I thought it was fantastic (and it was only a 2.7), I bought it on the spot for throwaway money (less than the price of an 911 engine rebuild) .. When  I drove the  911 I thought it was OK. And when you look at the price difference.....

I think the perception still after 20 years is the 911 is the poster car and the Boxster is the one you buy if you can't afford a 911.

2 hours ago, 18greens said:

I think the perception still after 20 years is the 911 is the poster car and the Boxster is the one you buy if you can't afford a 911.

With the enjoyment I get from my 3.2 S (driving and working on it) I'm quite happy I can't afford a 911......

As @Menoporsche mentioned I think I went 986S / 987S / 996 Turbo / 987.2 2.9 / 981S...

(never miss an opportunity to post photos... look I miss having a Porsche ok?)

0-F384-B9-E-6846-4-FF8-882-C-158-EA80-ED

8361-E166-34-CC-494-A-BFC1-2-DE6-C1-D152

B46-F174-F-D220-43-E9-9-F42-DFA0956918-A

B6568-E27-9-A61-498-F-AB4-B-2-BE6-F47-DF

A0-FAC794-58-C6-4-AD1-9-E45-528-D88-C0-B

FB0-C7215-6-CE6-48-B3-82-EB-18-AEDBA7507

All extremely good cars in different ways - personally preferred the newness / taughtness / drive / response / looks / of the 981S to anything else. Maybe just by virtue of being a later car?

My 911 Turbo although lovely / low miles / manual / in great nick was old.... & not saggy and baggy - but old. Epic to own - as a ‘thing’ / but I feel the older cars need a good suspension refresh etc to come anywhere near the newer models to actually ‘drive’.

& my budget has never been in the modern 911 eras (something like @r1flyguy s 991Turbo S ticks virtually every box for me - no pun intended).

Boxsters definitely just ‘work’ as sports cars too - when I took the 987.2 2.9 on track for a sprint it performed so well compared to so many other cars - really useable / exploitable performance.

Something about the Boxster (hence owning several and will probably again) just feels right - roof down - exhaust note ... cleverly engineered feeling - superb cars.

Saying that I do keep looking at 996 and 997 C2s as a ‘project’ but know I’d need to (probably) refresh so much of it to get a nice drive...the 996s I’ve seen so far have all been awful .. on those occasions Ive driven the Golf away which has impressive performance (easy sub 4 60 sub 10 100) with modern gizmos / safety etc etc... and made me question what I’m even doing looking...

But yet I am probably sufficiently suckered into that “it’s a 911” way of thinking to daily browse cars on offer.... 

8 hours ago, Andy Mac said:

on those occasions Ive driven the Golf away which has impressive performance (easy sub 4 60 sub 10 100) with modern gizmos / safety etc etc... and made me question what I’m even doing looking...

Because you are a Petrol Head... End of...

And you are here so x2 to the above

And for Petrol Heads it is more than just being a "good car".

You are 100% correct, your Golf is 'better' than any car I will ever own and I live with the fact my bosses DERV Beemer estate will out drag me and is probably faster on the twisties. 

But...

How do they make you feel..?

Yesterday I drove my Boxster, which is designed for driving fast on bendy roads, slowly and in a straight line up and down the M6 for 6 hours. And I loved it 😍 (probably cos I only do it once a month)

And frankly @Mr96er gets feck all sympathy from me as he has to choose between two cars designed to make you feel great. "Let's see" thinks Loz, "tonight do I go out with Kylie Minogue or Elle Macpherson"

Loz, are you planning to keep both? I've not driven a 911 too much, but I really do appreciate the extra power from it, especially on the straights. The Boxster, however is a beast on the winding A and B roads. There really aren't many cars that can beat it, aside from 60k+ modern turbo four wheel drive cars.

1 hour ago, GmanB said:

Loz, are you planning to keep both? I've not driven a 911 too much, but I really do appreciate the extra power from it, especially on the straights. The Boxster, however is a beast on the winding A and B roads. There really aren't many cars that can beat it, aside from 60k+ modern turbo four wheel drive cars.

I used to believe what you believe. I was sure the 911 was a GT through and through. Having taken it out with able BOXSTER pilots on the tiniest of B roads, I have to say the 911 is astonishing in its ability to get down and boogie on the tough stuff. 

That not withstanding, I am at a ratio of 4500:100 in terms of 911 miles covered vs Boxster miles covered in the 2 months since I took the leap. And yet, the Boxster told me, we are not done partying yet. 

So, I am not panic selling the Boxster. I’ve got a couple of other things in the background to sort out which may result in even more German hardware on the driveway.

Archived