Another fine mess.

mike597

Nightmare.

What have you done with the keys?   I'd shake as much water out as possible then get the Porsche key packed into a bag of rice and/or silica gel and place in a warm place for a couple of days. 

I had a new key head supplied  and coded at CPS a few months ago. Within a week of getting it my OH had put it through a full 40 degree wash. It's still working.

If the rubber gasket between the two parts is in fact you might be lucky! Fingers are crossed for you 🤞

Split it open and put it somewhere warm for a couple of days - not the tumble drier though!

You could get lucky....

...Fingers crossed for you.

If water has got inside the key casing when you open it, what I would add to the above is to remove the battery while drying out the key (and fit a new one when you test it again). I don't know if that might introduce any re-coding or resynchronisation issues, but I think the circuitry is less likely to be damaged if it doesn't have a voltage applied while it's wet, and it would be worth any sync complications to maximise your chances. 

I've dismantled it and pulled out the battery. Dried as best I could and placed on the boiler overnight.  Thankfully its a very inefficient model so pumps out loads of secondary heat.  Sadly my garage door opener was also on the keyring. 

On 10/6/2019 at 8:49 PM, rowbos said:

Nightmare.

What have you done with the keys?   I'd shake as much water out as possible then get the Porsche key packed into a bag of rice and/or silica gel and place in a warm place for a couple of days. 

This ^^^^^

Good news - seems to have survived the experience.  Quality German engineering.  The garage door opener seems to have lost its programming but I suspect that is due to the battery being removed.  I need to figure out how to re-program it or I might just buy a replacement it's pretty knackered anyway having lived on my key-ring for over 10 years now.

On 10/6/2019 at 8:44 PM, mike597 said:

Managed to put my car keys in the washing machine. Realised after about twenty minutes.  What's the chance of survival? 

Pretty good, washing machines are quite tough 💪

Archived