Gearstick play solutions?

detail1

@½cwt, transmission fluid is circa 96k or thereabouts, and many cars seem to have not had this done.

For a 9x6, this merely returns you to the (IMO low) baseline. The difference between a 9x7 and 9x6 shifter is night and day. No cliché.

Don't get along with aftermarket short shifters (albeit have not tried one with the bushes from a member on here), but to me, the 9x7 shifter is just about perfect. 

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The OE shortshift is very similar to the 987 in length of throw. Add the bushes and you get that extra level of tightness and accuracy, not notchy. The 986 though has a nice smooth action and the 987 loses some of that quality. With the OE shortshift you get the shorter throw of the 987 and still a big dollop of the smoothness of the 986 shift.

Am I right in thinking that you cannot just use the after market ebay ballraces on the stock mechanism - as we know Jimk04 stopped doing his kit,

not sure I want to go short shift on the 987 but I do need to get rid of the play and probably replace the cables before they break

1 hour ago, Dubdubz said:

Am I right in thinking that you cannot just use the after market ebay ballraces on the stock mechanism - as we know Jimk04 stopped doing his kit,

not sure I want to go short shift on the 987 but I do need to get rid of the play and probably replace the cables before they break

I haven't tried it but you probably could. After all, the bearings fit in the existing cradle and you have to cut the OE nylon ones out to fit the aftermarket shifter. The question would be whether the shifter fits into the bearing.

On a 987 you'd have to question what you are trying to fix if going to the ebay short shifter. If it's length of throw then yes, it is a touch shifter in throw. 

8 minutes ago, edc said:

I haven't tried it but you probably could. After all, the bearings fit in the existing cradle and you have to cut the OE nylon ones out to fit the aftermarket shifter. The question would be whether the shifter fits into the bearing.

On a 987 you'd have to question what you are trying to fix if going to the ebay short shifter. If it's length of throw then yes, it is a touch shifter in throw. 

Thanks EDC - I am trying to remove the slack - which for a low mileage [ish 60k] is all directions.

I guess I could buy an Ebay short shift and then see...I do have the BAD option on bookmark too though

4 hours ago, Dubdubz said:

im looking to do exactly the same thing as you - I don't want the SS, as I feel the throws are fine 

im caught between 3 or 4 options - 

1. just the bushes

https://phenixengineering.com/shop/porsche-997-gt3-style-billet-shift-bushing-kit/

2. the bushes plus adding shim to the small plastic part that moves inside the yolk

3. the full Function first Kit 

http://www.function-first.com/products/engine-trans/shift-right-solution

16 minutes ago, JonSta said:

For that money I'd buy the Ben auto kit and have done with it. Or even the factory shortshifter. In my experience you're going to get charged a lot of duty on stuff from the US.

the Ben auto kit is only either the yolk on its own or the full short shift kit (without the yolk) JonSta, so if you didn't want a SSK, then you would need to buy the yolk from ben & the bushes elsewhere 

im still unsure what each part actually does - i.e. what does the bushes improve & what does the yolk improve?

29 minutes ago, JonSta said:

The benauto kit is a complete shifter with everything you need. 288 euros.

https://benautodesign.fr/en/home/19-57-short-shifter-porsche-911boxstercayman.html

thanks Jon, I've seen that one, but he only does the SSK - also in reality do you need the new yolk, if you can just shim the old one? - I have heard from couple of people that Ben's full system is quite stiff - although that's probably down to the SSK itself 

18 minutes ago, JonSta said:

Haven't tried it but his yolk is alu with a replaceable nylon liner that will probably outlast your ownership of the car. I wouldn't be surprised if it was stiff - you take all the play out there will be friction. After a couple of hundered thousand shifts it might loosen up a tad.....

yeh probably right 

...and 288 euros is more than £231 - tax permitting for FF one?

I think [happy to be wrong]

that the function first is both fore and aft and side to side - and like jim o'hara Im not really after a SSK as I am happy with the length of throw - just not the freeplay I currently have.

4 minutes ago, Dubdubz said:

...and 288 euros is more than £231 - tax permitting for FF one?

I think [happy to be wrong]

that the function first is both fore and aft and side to side - and like jim o'hara Im not really after a SSK as I am happy with the length of throw - just not the freeplay I currently have.

only thing that concerns me about all of these 'kits' with the yolk, is that it becomes too 'bolt' like, as I would hate that - I'm really tempted to go with the bushes only and use a shim piece on the yolk

2 minutes ago, jim o'hara said:

only thing that concerns me about all of these 'kits' with the yolk, is that it becomes too 'bolt' like, as I would hate that - I'm really tempted to go with the bushes only and use a shim piece on the yolk

did a little forum research and there is lots of ' like a rifle ' mentioned in the US ones - which I wonder is what you are trying to avoid....

5 minutes ago, jim o'hara said:

There really is no pleasing some people ;)

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/15/2021 at 6:08 PM, Lennym1984 said:

Does anybody fancy seeing if we could setup a group buy on the shift right solution? I'm tempted to buy one but if we can negotiate a bulk discount... Even better

lenny, ive decided that the First Function kit is too expensive for what it is - I'm going to try the YT video version where the guy uses the bushes from the Chinese SSK & then shims the block - total cost should be no more than £40

Archived