986 Heated Seat Retrofit How-to Video

Will_S

Just recently got another Boxster and really missed having heated seats! Thought I’d share how I retro fitted a heated seat kit incase it helps anyone:

I’ve had them fitted for about a week now, and they are great! Much hotter than the factory. Total cost £60. 

Edited by Will_S
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Really interesting - glad mine has heated seats - when looking for my car many on here said heated seats were a must - having used them for the first time on Sunday I can confirm that they were right - driving back from a PCGB meet in the frosty Cotswolds with the roof down my teeth were actually chattering,but at least my bum was nice and toasty 😂

Edited by CAZ

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
On 1/9/2020 at 4:44 PM, Christopher2110 said:

Super video! 
Have you or anyone managed to wire them up to the factory heated seat buttons?

I used these instructions. 

http://www.dennisvogel.com/heatedseats/

The factory switches activate a relay.  The electrical connections are explained in the link.  I think you could combine the instructions shown at the link with the method in the video and make use of the factory switches. 

20 hours ago, KevinH2000 said:

I used these instructions. 

http://www.dennisvogel.com/heatedseats/

The factory switches activate a relay.  The electrical connections are explained in the link.  I think you could combine the instructions shown at the link with the method in the video and make use of the factory switches. 

Super. I'll let you know if I have any luck

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just had a go at this, instructions say take the live from the red wire already in the seat connector, but this is permanent live?  Has anyone already done this? Do I need to take switched live from the fuse box and if so, how do I do that? 
I don’t want to have to remember to turn the seat off each time I’ve finished driving

On 12/29/2020 at 11:30 AM, mvw said:

Just had a go at this, instructions say take the live from the red wire already in the seat connector, but this is permanent live?  Has anyone already done this? Do I need to take switched live from the fuse box and if so, how do I do that? 
I don’t want to have to remember to turn the seat off each time I’ve finished driving

ive got to the stage where i need to actually connect the wires - everything else is done - i hadn't even thought about whether the live is perm or not. that adds an extra spanner in the works.

what year is your car?

2 hours ago, Jord said:

ive got to the stage where i need to actually connect the wires - everything else is done - i hadn't even thought about whether the live is perm or not. that adds an extra spanner in the works.

what year is your car?

hi mate, mine's 2002.  I ran a switched live from the fuse board in the end, not as difficult as it sounds. I put a fuse add-on into A6 which is for the missing heated seats (so technically didn't need the add-on) and ran a wire from there to the centre console and then split it to drop down to underneath each seat.  Then used the ground that was already there.  It doesn't take too long to get the centre console out and was easy to fish the wires under the carpet.  I'll update my running report when I get a chance, but the heated seats now go off when the ignition is switched off.  I'm pretty happy with it, but I don't get much/any clearance behind the new switch and when I sit on the seat it pushes the switch out slightly.  I think it's because they are sports seats, but when I get a chance I will remove the spade connectors and solder the wires to the back of the switch.  I think it can be done without removing the seat.

3 hours ago, mvw said:

hi mate, mine's 2002.  I ran a switched live from the fuse board in the end, not as difficult as it sounds. I put a fuse add-on into A6 which is for the missing heated seats (so technically didn't need the add-on) and ran a wire from there to the centre console and then split it to drop down to underneath each seat.  Then used the ground that was already there.  It doesn't take too long to get the centre console out and was easy to fish the wires under the carpet.  I'll update my running report when I get a chance, but the heated seats now go off when the ignition is switched off.  I'm pretty happy with it, but I don't get much/any clearance behind the new switch and when I sit on the seat it pushes the switch out slightly.  I think it's because they are sports seats, but when I get a chance I will remove the spade connectors and solder the wires to the back of the switch.  I think it can be done without removing the seat.

Ahhh ok cool, I modified the rocker switches and mounted the oem switch on top so mine look oem but are actually just a rocker switch.

Annoyingly my vid I did for a mate to explain didn’t upload with audio but you can see them working.

https://imgur.com/gallery/xi5WA53 

Edited by Jord

On 10/6/2020 at 7:31 PM, Berni29 said:

Hi 

Excellent video. I would actually do it, but I have 987 seats and I think they are even more of a faff!

Berni

Hi I brought some heated seats off eBay and wired them up my self it is quite easy to do.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...