Cheap H&R - 10mm springs

PaulQ

Just noticed these while trawling the bay. 

While there isn't really any MO30 for the 987, H&R make decent springs, and at under 100 quid for a full set is a good price if anyone is looking to lower their car slightly. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/H-R-M030-Lowering-Spring-Kit-10mm-Porsche-Boxster-Cayman-Incl-S-987/352764921876?epid=1070460048&hash=item52226d8814:g:oCQAAOSwyjNdXuMY

4 minutes ago, PaulQ said:

Just noticed these while trawling the bay. 

While there isn't really any MO30 for the 987, H&R make decent springs, and at under 100 quid for a full set is a good price if anyone is looking to lower their car slightly. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/H-R-M030-Lowering-Spring-Kit-10mm-Porsche-Boxster-Cayman-Incl-S-987/352764921876?epid=1070460048&hash=item52226d8814:g:oCQAAOSwyjNdXuMY

Tempted to get these at that price point.Shame it’s 10 mm but maybe that’s enough...

18 minutes ago, Liberty said:

Tempted to get these at that price point.Shame it’s 10 mm but maybe that’s enough...

You might find in reality its a bit more then 10mm. I know a few here run the 986 equivalent, and I think @bally4563  has fitted a set to a 987 he used to own. 

I seem to remember the compensation plates on the rear of a 987 (not sure about the fronts) are 15mm or so thick, unlike the thinner 986 ones, so there may be some scope here for adjustment. 

I have the M030 spec -10mm H&R for 986 and wouldnt want to be any lower. They are as low as the original M030 was at 100k. 

24 minutes ago, sa utah said:

I don`t really think 10mm would do anything looks wise as I`m pretty sure out old springs will have lost more than that already.......

I've seen anything from no sag at all to 30mm or so on the 986 so depends on the car/age etc.... ..no idea about the 987 though. 

A 10mm drop while not massive is noticeable if you compare a stock 986 (obviously on non saggy springs) to one fitted with MO30. 

What I can say on a 987S that I did up the otigonal ride just looks wrong, however with the 10 mm was noticeable, like fitting 5mm wheel spacers you would think no point, but it just gives a better stance without being over the top, if you had a standard 987 and an identical one next to it with the 10 mm lowers and wheel spacers, you just know which looks better imho.

I wonder what the spring rate is like though and if they suit standard for dampers.  
I had planned on just springs but as usual the more I think about my 96k suspension bits the more inclined I am to buy new top mounts, dampers, springs and all the other bits which means you can assemble to whole thing and just swap it straight in.   No messing about.  

I always think I’m not going to spend more money on a car and then I just can’t help myself 

3 hours ago, sa utah said:

I wonder what the spring rate is like though and if they suit standard for dampers.  
I had planned on just springs but as usual the more I think about my 96k suspension bits the more inclined I am to buy new top mounts, dampers, springs and all the other bits which means you can assemble to whole thing and just swap it straight in.   No messing about.  

I always think I’m not going to spend more money on a car and then I just can’t help myself 

I would have thought your car would have had some work done to the suspension that you just don’t have any history of.Something would have come up in an mot I would think 🤔 

Not always the case.   I’ve bought quite a lot of vehicles over the years and most along the ones at around 90k or so are on their original suspension.   An MOT test only looks for Loose ball joints etc and leaking dampers so if your car has gas filled units they’d still pass even when there is zero gas.  
whilst a damper looks alright the MOT station don’t check its performance.  My experience is anything over 10 years old and say 70K and the campers have had it 

unless it’s a mk3 Mx5 with Bilsteins which seem to be knackered at 50k   

23 hours ago, sa utah said:

Probably on the soft side if they are anything like the cooking H&R's I had on my 986.

Ive not heard of anyone using stiffer/shorter dampers with these - 10mm springs. 

I fitted these a couple of years ago and 20k later would still recommend them. Measured the actual ride height and they are 10 mm lower one end and 15mm at the other lower than standard ride height. I forget which end was which but only checked as it catches  all the speed bumps.  I wouldn’t want to go any lower. They are pretty firm and jiggly with an empty tank. However put some fuel in and a bit of luggage 20kg maybe in the front and the handling is sublime (two up). Have tested around a couple of tracks and just need some uprated roll bars to make it any quicker. Original shocks and seem ok although wouldn’t want to jump any hump back bridges as the bump stops have disintegrated and are on the to do list. Have got new (ish) coffin arms and anti roll bushes though.

Check my previous posts if you want the part numbers.

Happy shopping !

I’d imagine they don’t match the standard dampers if they are “ jiggly “.  That’s a common trait  with mismatched springs and dampers.  I never have 20kg of stuff in the car and try not to have passengers either !  

Whilst new to the boxster I’ve had MX5s , M3s and other things and had no success at all when swapping just springs.  Apart form the look.  the ride is always wrong and much worse than factory   Which is a shame.  A matched setup designed to work together is the way to go  

Mk3.5 mX5 wise the best setup is from Meister R , they come complete and ready to fit to the car with new top mounts and are adjustable for height and damping. I have those on the current MX5 and it’s unbelievably good  it will easily out handle the boxster I have bit of course doesn’t have the grunt   
if Meister r had a kit for the Boxster I’d have bought it by now.  Maybe I should sell the boxster and supercharge the Mazda ....... 

Mister R came on here a few years ago but there isn't the demand. There are plenty of other fixed or adjustsable kit options though. 

13 minutes ago, sa utah said:

I’d imagine they don’t match the standard dampers if they are “ jiggly “.  That’s a common trait  with mismatched springs and dampers.  I never have 20kg of stuff in the car and try not to have passengers either !  

Whilst new to the boxster I’ve had MX5s , M3s and other things and had no success at all when swapping just springs.  Apart form the look.  the ride is always wrong and much worse than factory   Which is a shame.  A matched setup designed to work together is the way to go  

Mk3.5 mX5 wise the best setup is from Meister R , they come complete and ready to fit to the car with new top mounts and are adjustable for height and damping. I have those on the current MX5 and it’s unbelievably good  it will easily out handle the boxster I have bit of course doesn’t have the grunt   
if Meister r had a kit for the Boxster I’d have bought it by now.  Maybe I should sell the boxster and supercharge the Mazda ....... 

Yep had an M3 and driven a lot of cars too. I think you will find that you could get 10mm lowered as standard so not messing with the original geo.My shocks have done over 115k so probably account for the jiggly! I got overtaken by an MX5 round Spa but not in the corners. God only knows what was under the bonnet.

There are a few fast MX5s about.  I bought the whole boxster for about the same price as the supercharger lit and other bits though !

the heater in the MX5 has some lovely vents that fire hot air onto your knees   I wish the octet heater was as good also !  The cabin is smaller mind but it’s ace in the cold   The boxster cabin heater struggles at anything below 8 degrees outside temp   Mx5 is great well below that.   
anyways   I’m digressing 

be good to hear what others think about the H&Rs when they get them 

10 minutes ago, sa utah said:

There are a few fast MX5s about.  I bought the whole boxster for about the same price as the supercharger lit and other bits though !

the heater in the MX5 has some lovely vents that fire hot air onto your knees   I wish the octet heater was as good also !  The cabin is smaller mind but it’s ace in the cold   The boxster cabin heater struggles at anything below 8 degrees outside temp   Mx5 is great well below that.   
anyways   I’m digressing 

be good to hear what others think about the H&Rs when they get them 

You can buy a whole MX5 for less than the price of a new set of shocks but not the springs. Unless you go OE ! Must blag a go in my mates Mx5 then which he is racing in the championship this year. Also get him to drive the Boxster 😉 For the price of the springs buy and try. Thanks to the OP someone will get a bargain. 

2 hours ago, sa utah said:

whilst new to the boxster I’ve had MX5s , M3s and other things and had no success at all when swapping just springs.  Apart form the look.  the ride is always wrong and much worse than factory   Which is a shame.  A matched setup designed to work together is the way to go

O Well. Was just a heads up for some cheap springs as I thought might be of interest :)

5 minutes ago, EVO Chris said:

Just bought some for my 987.2 non pasm, probably wont fit this side of Christmas...…………..bargain price!

So, the chances of you fitting them immediately, just so I can see if they're any good and worth ordering for mine while it's being sorted next week are... slim... is that what you're saying...?  :lol:

2 minutes ago, EVO Chris said:

good try but yeah I reckon.....too many other projects on the go at the mo, if I get a sudden urge.....ahem......you will be the first to know.

You, Sir, are a gentleman :thumbsup_anim:   I will keep a constant eye on my PM's for the next few days... :lol:

Archived