Navigation unit.

DaveEFI

My 2011 987.2S has the Porsche navigation unit fitted. Sorry not knowing the exact name. It annoys in that it won't accept the full UK postcode. Making it a bit pointless unless you also have a street name etc too. The rest of it - radio etc - is OK, although DAB would be nice for some stations not on FM. Hands free phone works OK too - as does having my own music on a USB stick.

Is there an after market unit which is a simple swap? And does everything the original does, but with a better sat nav? Which can be upgraded, maps wise, etc easily when needed? I'm in the UK.

You can upgrade the current PCM to make use of full UK postcodes and latest maps etc.

I tend to use Spotify via an Apple Y cable or my current Android phone via a Bluetooth dongle alongside the internal Bluetooth phone functionality which works well.

Lots of people upgrade to new units but I prefer to keep my car original and it all works for me...

the names often seen here are Pioneer, Kenwood as trusted brands / Xtrons for a cheaper unit, I think Android (which some say gets laggy after updates) / Dynavin for apparently OEM standard, a bit pricey.

Yer pays yer money...

Thanks rowbos. Where do I get the new software from - and can you give an idea of the cost? I did ask my independent at the last service, but they never got back to me.

I'm not worried about originality if an after market unit was a direct fit, as it would be easy to revert to the original if ever needed. And I would like DAB.

6 minutes ago, Menoporsche said:

the names often seen here are Pioneer, Kenwood as trusted brands / Xtrons for a cheaper unit, I think Android (which some say gets laggy after updates) / Dynavin for apparently OEM standard, a bit pricey.

Yer pays yer money...

Just to be clear. There are units which are an easy DIY replacement? My car is parked on the street, so I'd need one which just plugs in. I'd happily pay up to £1000 for one which did exactly what I wanted.

Not sure but if you search those brand names in the ICE sub-forum you should find examples of where members have fitted them and thus judge how easy they are as DIY replacements. I recall discussions of fascias not fitting exactly or steering wheel control cables needed.

1 hour ago, Mattman42 said:

@Pinewood and @John K have both replaced theirs recently and can provide some useful advice

@DaveEFI, this is what I went for.

It does need a double DIN cage and is cheaper to install if you don't have BOSE

The screen will detach and it comes with a nice fabric case to keep it safe if you want to remove it from the car

It uses the horse power of the phone to drive Android Auto or Apple CarPlay, it supports both

I like it with two caveats...

1, if the roof is down and the sun is out it will make the screen hard to read

2, I use Google Maps for the Nav and if you are pressing on you can beat its prompts to leave a roundabout..! But 90% of time it is fine. Not tried Waze...

4 hours ago, DaveEFI said:

Thanks rowbos. Where do I get the new software from - and can you give an idea of the cost? I did ask my independent at the last service, but they never got back to me.

I'm not worried about originality if an after market unit was a direct fit, as it would be easy to revert to the original if ever needed. And I would like DAB.

Paging @Richard Hamilton.

@DaveEFI, Richard has the kit and upgrades your PCM for beer money + the cost of him getting a licence for your VIN.  It will give you full postcode searches and update to the latest available maps.  He's done mine and plenty of others on the forum.  It takes a good couple of hours and is a fraction of the £4-500 that Porsche want for the upgrade.

29 minutes ago, Araf said:

@DaveEFI, Richard has the kit and upgrades your PCM for beer money + the cost of him getting a licence for your VIN.  It will give you full postcode searches and update to the latest available maps.  He's done mine and plenty of others on the forum.  It takes a good couple of hours and is a fraction of the £4-500 that Porsche want for the upgrade.

would be interested in this as well to keep my PCM3.1 unit but get full postcodes

I got the Pioneer AVH-Z5100DAV fitted.
Does it all.

uYVvBc8.jpg

I kept the old unit to swap back should I ever sell her.

Quick simple install by Leeds Car Audio. Top job. Highly recommend.

Best wishes,

Verner

1 hour ago, Araf said:

Totally appreciate the original PCM can be up graded, but why upgrade to something that is still years behind the latest industry offering.  That strikes me as a hair shirt.

OEM is not always the best...

I have the Pioneer  SPH-DA230DAB with Bose. This unit has apple carplay/android auto and does it all. Kept the PCM3.0 for sale time if the next owner wants to stay stock. 

Sounds!!!

As John says, upgrading the existing unit is still years behind these units. I can now talk to the phone and have navigation/play music/reply to msgs read out to me. 

In short, wish I had upgraded when I bought the car April 2018

21 minutes ago, John K said:

Totally appreciate the original PCM can be up graded, but why upgrade to something that is still years behind the latest industry offering.  That strikes me as a hair shirt.

OEM is not always the best...

Au contraire mon brave.  I didn't pull the pin on one car because it had an aftermarket unit fitted.  If you want to revert it's something like £3k to get a PCM back in there.

I have nav, bluetooth and my music.  I'm happy. :) 

Just now, John K said:

There is NO WAY we could live together...

That's the first reassuring thing you have ever said to me. :)

5 minutes ago, Araf said:

I have nav, bluetooth and my music.  I'm happy. :) 

I see you your "nav, bluetooth and my music" and raise you full colour Google Maps

Just now, John K said:

I see you your "nav, bluetooth and my music" and raise you full colour Google Maps

Full colour integrated maps will suit me fine. :)

2 minutes ago, Araf said:

Full colour integrated maps will suit me fine. :)

What? The paper OS map laid out on the passenger seat..?

Apologies to @DaveEFI for the drift, but not everyone on this forum is an old fart who is terrified of modern tech. And sometimes they need to be called out on how ancient they really are....

Archived