Cheap new key

mortzz

• 1 month later...

Hi

I have been doing the ket run around also. About 300 cheapest from Indies. Local car guy is 160 for the transponder key (no remote). The guys who do the remotes for 250 take a photo of the key and have a new one cut from that. At least the one I contacted did.

I resoldered a new button on to my remote, and although it flashes it still doesn't want to communicate with the car. I need to test it is transmitting a signal.

I only have one key so would jump at the chance to have another for 50 or even a bit more. I get 10 seconds before having to unlock at the moment.

Tks

Berni

Mine has started messing around since changing the key battery yesterday.  It’s a strange one.  If I manually unlock the car and let the alarm go off, I get both a siren & car horn.  If I press the key, the siren stops straight away, but the horn continues until I switch the ignition on.

Its as if the alarm reads the key signal, but doesn’t action the central locking.

Yes Berni, I have indeed.  I did discover an unplugged handle switch causing a 2 beep fault, but sorted that yesterday.

I think I'll have to go under the passenger seat again & make sure all’s dry...

On 7/13/2020 at 4:54 PM, Berni29 said:

Hi

I have been doing the ket run around also. About 300 cheapest from Indies. Local car guy is 160 for the transponder key (no remote). The guys who do the remotes for 250 take a photo of the key and have a new one cut from that. At least the one I contacted did.

I resoldered a new button on to my remote, and although it flashes it still doesn't want to communicate with the car. I need to test it is transmitting a signal.

I only have one key so would jump at the chance to have another for 50 or even a bit more. I get 10 seconds before having to unlock at the moment.

Tks

Berni

Only £260 from my local OPC last year with nice new electronics, key head and badge but original transponder chip and blade.  If you need compete remote key there a a few hoops to jump through due to security and sourcing info and ordering in from Porsche in Germany.

19 hours ago, KevM79 said:

I did discover an unplugged handle switch causing a 2 beep fault, but sorted that yesterday.

Do you mean a door handle switch and if yes, outside hendle or interior handle? I have intermittent similar fault with two beeps every once in a while (have already changed the lock unit). Did you need to do naything else that plug the switch back or where there some cleaning / adjusting that you did to sort this out? Thanks for your help on this annoying issue.

3 hours ago, KevM79 said:

It was my interior door handle.  I had the card off a few days back and forgot to plug it in again.  All sorted now.  It’s looking like a new key potentially 

Thank you for this detail. I'll open the door cadrs to confirm that the the interior hadles wire plugs are properly attached.

1 hour ago, pacificjuha said:

Thank you for this detail. I'll open the door cadrs to confirm that the the interior hadles wire plugs are properly attached.

You won’t need to.  If you pull the handle & the window drops a few mm, they are fine

5 hours ago, KevM79 said:

You won’t need to.  If you pull the handle & the window drops a few mm, they are fine

The window does not drop and the alarm gives the double beep - this does not happen all the time, but usually couple of days in a row and then all works fine again for a day or two... Based on what you were able to accomplish, sounds like on my handle vires are intermittent connection issue.

Hi

Just to say I got a non-remote key for 60 quid all in, from Express Keys & Lock Services, 29 High Street, Green Street Green, Orpington, Kent, BR6 6BG.

I thought that was a very good price, and excellent service.

Berni

On 7/15/2020 at 10:56 PM, pacificjuha said:

The window does not drop and the alarm gives the double beep - this does not happen all the time, but usually couple of days in a row and then all works fine again for a day or two... Based on what you were able to accomplish, sounds like on my handle vires are intermittent connection issue.

As an update.

The problem was the actual 9-pin connector to the lock mechanism which had connection issues, but was able to clean it so it works now.

I'll swap the connector as well to avoid annoying same issues in the future.

I have just ordered a bit of a cheaper work-around for this, after a £250 quote from an Indie key supplier.

I am going to install a Remote locking module.  It was £12 on Amazon and seems to be really easy to fit as a piggy-back off the existing Immobiliser unit.  I'll have a fob as well as my regular key, but for all I use the car, that wont cause me any issues.

I plan to fit it over the weekend, & will let you know how it goes!

When I bought my Alfa Spider it only came with one key, as its a fob that slots into the dash a new one inc programming was about £600.

So I took out cover with https://www.keycare.co.uk/

It was about £30 for a year, they send you a fob that you attach to your keys and if you lose them they will pay for a replacement unit and to get you into your car if you lose them when out and about. About 6 months in I lost my key fob, rung them up and reported it... they did not want to know any of the circs as to how I lost the key, logged it and said we have to wait a few days to see if it gets found and returned (with the fob on the keys having a contact number for them etc). Few days later I rung again, all approved, ordered a new fob from Alfa and when it arrived got it programmed, emailed the 2 invoices over to Keycare and literally the next day I had a cheque for the full amount.

A cheap option in case you lose your key :)

6 hours ago, KevM79 said:

I am going to install a Remote locking module.  It was £12 on Amazon and seems to be really easy to fit as a piggy-back off the existing Immobiliser unit.  I'll have a fob as well as my regular key, but for all I use the car, that wont cause me any issues.

I plan to fit it over the weekend, & will let you know how it goes!

Hi

I am very interested in knowing how this works out!

All the best

Berni

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/30/2019 at 11:44 AM, T911UK said:

methode-times-prod-web-bin-b32553e0-5aee-11e9-af83-9657ec7b0130.jpg

Ah yes, i had the pleasure of once living closeby to this renowned educational establishment, the preferred option over the usual university education for aspiring riff raff.. Im sure that car key scanning was one of more popular modules along with universal credit claims sessions and they pioneered the use of super scooter escape handling techniques and identity fraud. 

After having the same motorcycle stolen twice in feltham and the police telling me they knew where it was but not to retrieve it, as too dangerous to get out of the car.. I moved 3 miles into town, only to meet the feltham fellas standing outside Richmond station fleecing and steamming the commuters as they came out of the doors.. 

Archived