Frozen Windows - First Winter

sa utah

It’s a pain with the windows. I was worried the regulator would burn out as it keeps trying to re raise the window. Solution I discovered was to pull the door seal slightly and pour warm water on the glass so it goes down and clears all the ice

they aren’t ideal winter cars really truth be told 

ice - warm water + glass - I don't think that is the best idea! 

Lucky my car lives in the garage so don't need to worry about it freezing! But when I did late night shifts a couple of years ago - the whole car was frozen, I used a credit card once to get in the car, started it up, left door open fans on full and waited around 10 minutes for the car to deice. 

I've used very mildly luke-warm water - and thats enough along the top and bottom edges to free it up usually. Avoid hot or very warm water as thermal shock to glass might not end well if really properly frozen. squirty deicer does ok too but found I was having to use quite a bit of that - hence the water.

once you're in and driving for 15 mins - the car is warm and it opens fine

I gave up on that a long time ago.  I pull the door open.  The glass will pass the roof material when opening but the motor and cutout then have a game of trying to lower the window/stopping the window for a couple of seconds.  I start the car, turn all the heaters on and push the door closed with the top of the window (it then goes under the roof edge).  By the time I have scraped the windows, the car is warm enough for the window drop to work.

I get my missis to talk to it for a minute..... all the hot air sorts it fine 😉

Archived