Boxster Targa top?

Rav

Saw this on Facebook.

Looks quite nice. Anyone got one or know where these can be bought?

77188342_3830493993643203_91958059446116

17 minutes ago, Richard Hamilton said:

Something looks a bit odd about that, which I can't quite put my finger on.  Is it a photochop job do you think?

I would be amazed if that was anything other than a photoshopped picture. For a start, the Boxster appears to be outdoors, but the targa window has reflections of what look like ceiling lighting. But also, the logistics of taking that targa roof and adapting it for a Boxster would be immense. I imagine it would be pretty difficult to get the targa top to attach (presumably to the spinlock mounts) and get the bottom of the curved window to match up to the clamshell, and that's without the separate issues of how the top panel is going to fit in (assuming there is meant to be a top panel), when on the targa 911, the top of the hoop opens up to allow that panel to move in and out of position.

As someone who has worked in Photoshop daily for well over 25yrs I can say that it does indeed look like a rather poor edited photo, so nothing to get excited about re production there I'm afraid.

2 hours ago, Jon61 said:

I would be amazed if that was anything other than a photoshopped picture. For a start, the Boxster appears to be outdoors, but the targa window has reflections of what look like ceiling lighting.

This ^ is the bit that sticks out like a sore thumb for me, the reflections are all wrong so it's definitely a PhotoShop (and not a very good one either)

The thing that surprises me is that anyone on here actually likes it - The standard Boxster is much better looking IMHO

12 minutes ago, Davey P said:

The thing that surprises me is that anyone on here actually likes it

You haven't been here long have you? :D You'll learn ...

1 minute ago, Jon61 said:

You haven't been here long have you? :D You'll learn ...

That's correct mate, and that is why I made sure I used the all-important "IMHO" at the end, just to cover myself :lol:

Found this:

http://www.gtn-automotive.com/gtn/sites/home_e.htm

They are planning a manufacturing run of these with enough interest (and deposits!). Buyer beware, I was a big 944 lover back in the day and a company said that they would produce a glass sunroof panel. It took over 5 years to manuafacture and once received wasnt all that great.

On 12/2/2019 at 10:17 PM, Stuart21UK said:

its a PS

page 2

http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/60747-stelan-986-targa-project-rendering-2.html

but there are a few other interesting (to some) renderings too

CaymanTarga2012.jpg

That is stunning, totally impractical, and logistical nightmare to install/remove if it was ever to be produced but lovely all the same, id buy one in a flash.

On 12/2/2019 at 1:32 PM, Richard Hamilton said:

Something looks a bit odd about that, which I can't quite put my finger on.  Is it a photochop job do you think?

It looks to this untrained eye like the lighting on the targa top is from an indoor fluorescent light source whereas the car is (obviously) in daylight 

Archived