Dead Battery .. Tried Everything .. Help!

Hit The North

So I parked up fully intending to use the car again soon but I didn't and haven't for about 2 months. The battery is completely dead, no lights on dash etc. Its an 01 2.7 so has the pull out connector in the fuse box and an electric bonnet release.

I've tried a car battery and jump leads, a power bank and swearing but to no avail. All I'm getting is a relay clicking noise as soon I hook up the - lead. 

No amount of key waggling in the door or ignition makes any difference. 

The horn sometimes goes off but no siren and no lights on the dash. Using the bonnet release switch does nothing.

I've had a good feel around for the bonnet release cable but cannot find it.

Basically I've run out of ideas and am completely stuck. Any tips or suggestions would be brilliant, thanks. 

I also think both of my keys might be out of battery. Should I be replacing them as a first port of call. I was opening and closing with the key before I parked it up. 

The recent low temps have probably killed the battery (typical the day after Black Friday/Cyber Monday offers at all the parts suppliers...).  Hope you can get enough charge into it to open the bonnet at least.  Make sure all other electrical demand is reduced as much as possible i.e radio, fan.

I may well have this wrong - but I thought what when using the internal pull out hook up that it was the key remote "listener" that got woken up (as well as the bonnet mech) - try the key buttons if the key in lock doesn't yield results.

The red tab in fuse box worked for me ok a few months ago off a Suaoki lithium jump battery pack. Stating the obvious but make sure you have good clean contact connection. 

I have visited several garages in my search for a Boxster where the car battery was obviously dead. In each case the sales guy just gets his big yellow battery jump pack, forces the drivers door open pops out a tab in the fuse box and connects up the battery pack, they use the door lock catch for GND. It has always opened the frunk within seconds letting them then move the jumper pack to the battery then start the car.

1 hour ago, edc said:

The red tab in fuse box worked for me ok a few months ago off a Suaoki lithium jump battery pack. Stating the obvious but make sure you have good clean contact connection. 

21 minutes ago, Darkstar said:

I have visited several garages in my search for a Boxster where the car battery was obviously dead. In each case the sales guy just gets his big yellow battery jump pack, forces the drivers door open pops out a tab in the fuse box and connects up the battery pack, they use the door lock catch for GND. It has always opened the frunk within seconds letting them then move the jumper pack to the battery then start the car.

Thanks guys, the same method worked for me in the summer when I accidentally closed the bonnet with the battery disconnected so I really am at a loss as to why I'm not getting anywhere this time. I'll check the contact connection tonight. 

I'm going to buy a battery for my keys in case that's the issue. Will let you know how I get on. 

Thanks for your help guys. 

It's still not popping that lid. I left it hooked up to the battery in my Jag last night for an hour and a half last night but again just lots of relay clicks and no power to the switches. Would the fact that it's a 'start stop' battery in the XF be a problem? 

I attempted to charge the battery in the 986 using the pull out connector and the door latch overnight but that made no difference.

Had another go with a fully charged booster pack this morning but to no avail.

Very frustrating. Going to get new batteries for my keys today. 

Is it worth buying a new battery just to get the trunk to open? I'm thinking the one in the car is possibly completely knackered. 

Getting a bit desperate as I can't lock the passenger door now and my drivers window has dropped about half a cm. 

Next step would be a new battery in a key, and see if that pops the hood, whilst applying power to the fuse connector. 

Your woes are reminding me to fit the CTEK battery leads and bring them up to the scuttle. It can't be fun what your experiencing 😔

Sounds like you have really killed your battery. This happened to the wife's jag last winter when we left it for a week. The battery was so dead it could not be jumped started.

Have you put a meter across the fuse box to see how flat your battery is and again with your jag connected.

Given you have a window down and you are so close to Revolution just phone and ask for help.

Can I ask what earth point you are using-Seem to remember that the door latch on the body shell was mentioned somewhere.

Again but probably wrong I thought a donor battery was used to unlatch the bonnet not put life into the car battery.....

Please correct me if i'm wrong on these points.

The emergency pull cord on right hand drive cars can be located after you remove the wheel arch liner tucked up near the headlight apparently.... hope this helps.

I have used the door hinge successfully but this can be dirty and greasy so may not give a good contact. 

I'm in!!!!

What a bloody relief! 

Hooked  up the power pack and the new key battery meant I could stop the clicking relay sound by pressing the button. The next press opened the trunk. 

Its now sat happily charging up on the drive and I am feeling much better.

Thanks for your help guys, it wasnt the way I intended to introduce myself to you all. 

9 hours ago, Menoporsche said:

Wow you're only about 6 miles from Revolution in Brighouse.

I know, next call was probably going to be to Russ. I've spent a few thousand down there over the last couple of years. I haven't always been so neglectful 😉

Cannot wait to get back in it for a drive. Cheers again 👍

I'm surprised the key battery made a difference as normally if you have left the car long enough for the battery to be flat the remote won't work anyway without being reactivated. 

Archived