Wind deflector flyby

sa utah

Just been out for a blast with the top down and as I looked in my mirror the wind deflector flew away !    It’s always rattled but no longer !   Luckily there were no cars behind me to hit

incant say it’s made any difference in the cabin unlike the one on my MX5 which makes a massive difference 

farewell My cheap Perspex friend.  

I bought a whole new fitting kit for mine when I got it as the small rubber parts on the hoops were rock hard.  
so I bought a new fitting kit , swapped the rubbers so it was much better.   
however the flex in the perspex was still there and it rattled at about 85.  On private roads obviously.    
the one on the Mazda is much smaller and is a vented piece of plastic.   It’s amazing how effective it is though. 
perhaps there’s a good aftermarket alternative for the 987. 

Serves you right for having the roof down. ^_^ 

IIRC it's supposed to be okay to 135mph so maybe it wasn't quite 'home' properly?

Its was definitely home as much as it could have been.  I just had a feeling it wasn’t ideal.  There’s no way it would work at that speed without making some real noise as it’s so flexible.  Should really either have been vented or thicker.   Anyways it’s no longer a problem and I can now put my coat through the gap 

fits into a groove at the bottom - clips at the top - if I remember correctly the odd bit is it unclips towards the rear of the car - so at speed its always pulling on the clips rather than pushing against them.

That said - not had an issue in current or previous car ( on a private test track obviously) at 100+ with roof down.

I think if clips and rubbers are good then it's not usually an issue but  porsche have a "repair kit" - single part number that has new rubbers and clips and all associated bits - and to be honest - porsche generally produce a "repair kit" where that have a common failure - so perhaps I have been just lucky so far.

3 hours ago, Araf said:

IIRC it's supposed to be okay to 135mph so maybe it wasn't quite 'home' properly?

How do you know that ?

I tested mine once (not in this country)  at 152 it was rattling a lot but at lower speeds I think it makes things a bit quieter and warmer. Must be these high winds.

3 minutes ago, Buzzlt said:

How do you know that ?

I read it somewhere - could have even been here.  Might have been on German literature (220km/h probably).

I didn’t know there was a repair kit and bought a whole fitting kit to steal the parts from

It’s does indeed unclip towards the back of the car.  Stupidly. 

i tell you something the car misses compared to my mx5 are the heater vents which shoot hot air right onto your lap.  It’s brilliant. Toastie legs.   On top of the heater in the Mazda being able to almost be too hot to have your hand over when on full tilt.  I think if I was going on a road trip knowing it was mostly cold I’d be in the Mazda.  Oh and the deflector doesn’t rattle and won’t come out !   But it’s not as fast and the noise isn’t as good.   

I have the full compliment of winter driving gear believe me.  Could be worse than the Boxster though as I also have a bmw e36 convertible   Now that is dreadful heating wise as the cabin is big.  No hope of keeping warm in that on a cold day!   

My last Boxster had this screen and my 'new' one didn't. Immediately missed it with the top down. Far more draughts. Bought all the bits from UK Ebay. The fitting kit - which includes everything except the screen itself cost about £30. Likely cheaper than a repair kit from Porsche.

5 hours ago, Menoporsche said:

Mine’s been fine at 100mph. Yours must have been fitted badly. 

Thanks !   Ha.  I fitted it with new clips etc and I’m convinced it was ok.  I will just blame the zero degrees temperature and wind 

Drove it this morning roof down and can’t feel any difference plus with the roof up I feel like I can see better when twisting around to reverse. I think wearing  glasses and then Looking through two bits of glass , well one acrylic bit gave me a weird view.  Could have been a lack of coffee though

On 12/8/2019 at 2:54 PM, Araf said:

That’s handy then as we might have hit 135gps in Germany over the summer 😁. Still there, always rattles a little & I tried to put some stick on foam in the fitting groves to little avail. 

Archived