Wet carpet behind passenger seat...

marcusjd

Hi all - it would seem i have the 'classic' roof leak..  (2004 facelift 986 S manual, lives outside all year round)

I'm aware this has been discussed many times, but i'd appreciate your opinion on a few things..:

Behind passenger seat only. I cleared the drains in the foam inserts yesterday with a trombone cleaner. No drama - no gush of released water, no obvious obstructions no obvious damage/wear /holes in the foam liner.. 

Question - is the drain aperture / mouth a solid connection to the drain tube..? (could previous rigorous clearing of them cause the two to separate, leak under the foam insert??)

Is there anywhere else i can look for a leak.. the front drain tubes (near the battery) were pretty manky but dry and dusty and have no evidence of any moisture /pooled water.

Bottom of door cards feel dry..

Due to the fact it's now Christmas Eve, it's going to be  while until i can investigate further.. To minimise damage to any electronics my thought was to park 'nose-high' on my sloping driveway and put on my half cover.. Any suggestions further to this..?

Lastly, for drying out - i've read that removing the entire carpet is ideal.. looks to be a complete PITA... any other options..? I'm unsure about cutting the rear passenger portion out or is this an easy option...

Any advice greatly accepted. I've read the stories on fried immobiliser electronics. I don't wish to be there..!

Marcus

Thanks for the replies. Being realistic it's going to be a week-plus before i can get onto it. The timing of finding this is a pain..

I've searched and read more.. my aim now is to keep it parked 'nose-up' - protect the ECU. Try to soak away with towels, then when i can remove seat, peel back carpet and investigate leaks with a hose.

Additionally - i've read about a u-shaped channel which directs water from the hood to the drains.. i cleaned a hell of a lot of muck out of this only recently... if i've cracked it or unseated it - would this cause my issue..?

Marcus

Just a thought,  have you cleared the train holes in the frunk,  water can come through from the frunk so a nose up attitude might not be the best option. 

When I bought my car the frunk drain holes were fully blocked and the bulkhead was holding waste.

If you have cleared the frunk holes then all good 

Thanks Southy, i've checked the front drains area - haven't cleared them but the whole area is bone-dry. 

I will have a go at clearing them when i finish work today though - providing it's a quick job..! Do you need to remove the battery to access..?

I've got the same issue in my 987.

My carpet was / is soggy. I've taken the worst off with tea towels and when possible I will be using a fan heater to try and dry it out.

When dry, emphasize on when, I will try a half cover to see if that helps

But I don't know where it is coming from. Both rear drains are clear. We've poured water into them and they run freely 

Frustrated...

8 minutes ago, marcusjd said:

Thanks Southy, i've checked the front drains area - haven't cleared them but the whole area is bone-dry. 

I will have a go at clearing them when i finish work today though - providing it's a quick job..! Do you need to remove the battery to access..?

It's a bit tight but you can access without removing anything... 

2 minutes ago, John K said:

I've got the same issue in my 987.

My carpet was / is soggy. I've taken the worst off with tea towels and when possible I will be using a fan heater to try and dry it out.

But I don't know where it is coming from. Both rear drains are clear. We've poured water into them and they run freely 

Frustrated...

Ah bugger. Hope its not too wet mate. 

We may have a similar issue then... I've heard on the 987 the door membranes can leak and water pool inside...? unsure why the 986 is affected differently..? maybe wrong though..!

Yours behind the passenger seat also?

I found that when clearing the front drain holes with a trombone cleaner, it hit the bottom of the pipe and doesn't come out at the bottom. To verify it was clear I poured half a bottle of water down each hole to verify it was in fact not blocked at the end. 

Oddly enough, my friend had a leak on his 996 recently and it ended up being the window seal at the top of the diagonal section. Basically where the seal on the roof makes contact with the seal on door/top of the window frame. It just didn't fit as the other side did and you could physically see a hole. The water was running inside that seal, down and over the diagonal piece of plastic panel, down the door card and over the speaker into the recess, which was about half full of water. This issue affects the 986 in the same way, according to a youtube video. 

Worth a check anyway, it was very damp directly underneath door speaker, the carpet was soaked. If it wasn't for the carpet around the door speakers, I've no doubt the water would run straight into the foot well, bypassing the recess and do more damage.

13 minutes ago, marcusjd said:

We may have a similar issue then... I've heard on the 987 the door membranes can leak and water pool inside...? unsure why the 986 is affected differently..? maybe wrong though..!

Yours behind the passenger seat also?

Yes, I think it is restricted to the area behind the 'lump' under the passenger seat. Which I assume holds the expensive electric bits

I will check more as soon as it finishes raining (currently lashing it down) and if it is just in the rear area I can't see how it could be the doors.

Annoying as apart from this the car is ace...

It will take an age to dry out especially this time of year - not a big job to remove seat and pull back carpet to get some towels/newspaper down. The foam on the carpet soaks up most of the water - I ended up cutting this out and replacing with some new stuff.  Hope its not got to your ecu, would recommend you get to it asap.

@marcusjd Without removing the seat you could unfix some of the vertical carpet behind seat and pull up carpet under seat, 20 mins max, to soak up water with towles and then leave it like that to dry out a bit. Drop a window a tad on a dry day to help. Should be enough to stop the electics getting wet till you can fix. The rear window seal  and the foam tray having damage could be souces of leak. Good luck.

5 hours ago, John K said:

Half cover will usually only protect the hood and therefore the rear drains, scuttle drains will still be exposed to the weather.

Mines done this a few times I ended up drilling a few holes where it pools then a one way plastic drain tube fitted have cleaned all drain tubes but still does get in somehow especially in hard downpours but never stays,oh and the alarm box is wrapped in a large zip lock bag just in case!!

11 hours ago, DrKW59 said:

defo possible for 987 not sure about a 986 tho’

Merry Christmas

kevin

Thanks Kevin, as soon as I can stand on the ankle for any length of time I'll take a look :thumbsup_anim:

Merry Crimbly to you and yours

Mine was wet carpets (and waterlogged foam) on drivers side on my 986. Think I’ve traced my leak to a big chunk missing from the rubbery drip tray. Looks like the hood mechanism arm had snagged the rubber at some point and torn a hole. Sealed up now with duct tape but not tested yet. Hole was right up near the area of the upper seatbelt mounting so could only be seen when hood in service position and skirt lifted. I’ll add a pic later but when you get a chance, worth a really good look around the whole grey rubbery tray to make sure no rips or holes. My vertical engine bulkhead carpets were dry but foam under the carpet in front and behind seat was dripping. Lucky no electronics on that side. 

8 hours ago, John K said:

Thanks Kevin, as soon as I can stand on the ankle for any length of time I'll take a look :thumbsup_anim:

Merry Crimbly to you and yours

Merry Crimbly to you and yours too. Hope this sorts your water ingress

Kevin

I had the same issue water behind the driver's seat and spent months trying to work out where it was coming from. I had a quote from an indy of £800 to diagnose and fix (with no real guarantees) so was at my wits end as every time it rained i had to wring out multiple microfibre cloths that i had to use to minimise the damage. Water was somehow entering the car in the corner near where the seat belt bolt attaches but i could never find...

Marcus if you find my full reply from Sept 2019 you can see a fix that worked for me involving putting a bypass tube down thedrainhole..has been dry for 4 months now despite always outside in terrible weather.

On 12/24/2019 at 6:51 PM, the baron said:

It’s more than likely a hole or split in the polystyrene tray at the back

My previous 986 had a split in the drip pan/tray which took me ages to find! Here is a pic of where it was damaged after I took the roof off (I could feel the split from inside the cabin before removing the roof but couldn't take a pic of it)

RjxaCaG.jpg

Some great advice, thanks for all comments.

Now Christmas is finally over, i can investigate properly this coming weekend.

I'll systematically run from front to back, checking and testing. I like the idea of removing the vertical carpeting, drying out underneath and also bagging off the ECU beneath the seat. 

Thanks again, i'll keep posted.

Marcus

Archived