RedBarediver

Hi all,

When I was younger I always used to treat my vehicles with Slick 50 and was wondering if anyone has used it in a Boxster?Alternatively if anyone thinks it's a really bad idea can you let me know why you think so?

I use the car quite infrequently and mainly on weekends. Whenever I start it up there's always a little puff of smoke on startup and I can hear the engine is a little dry for the first few seconds. It settles down quickly and on the rare occasion that I start it two days in a row I don't have the puff of smoke and the car starts as smooth as silk. I am thinking that if I can add Slick 50 it may help prevent some unnecessary wear (and my previous vehicles always used to feel a lot smoother with it in).

Thoughts?

Interesting link that.

its not anything I’ve considered in the past 20 years or so to be honest (a Porsche or not), it did seem to be all the rage in the 80s but I think modern synthetic oils somewhat alleviate any perceived need. But that link does seem to imply that most would cause more harm than good.

Interesting link and confirms my thoughts on most of these additives. The key argument being that if they worked, surely the multi billion pound oil companies would have already used the technology, especially with the push to extended service intervals. Interesting regarding the adverse affects on bore score, don't try this on your 3.4 @bally4563😀

Oil puff is common on horizontally opposed (or 180° V if you prefer as there is a slight technical difference but don't ask me what it is) engines as the oil has no gravity to clear it from the cylinder bores when it is not running so stays on the bottom side for the bore, hence a small amount of oil burn. 

Mine rattles somewhat as the lifters fill again if it has stood from more than 4 or 5 days. I think I have a slightly sticky lifter as some times there is a reduced rattle for a while longer after starting when stood for a week or more but I'm not about to take the engine apart for that.

1 minute ago, PaulQ said:

A bit like super unleaded then....... 😁

Maybe not.  That does have supporting evidence even as basic as complying to a higher industry standard that states it has more knock resistance and therefore allows an engine to be tuned differently with more ignition advance of higher compression thus yielding more power.  Then it is just a matter of whether it is cost effective and that is down to personal choice.

9 minutes ago, ½cwt said:

Maybe not.  That does have supporting evidence even as basic as complying to a higher industry standard that states it has more knock resistance and therefore allows an engine to be tuned differently with more ignition advance of higher compression thus yielding more power.  Then it is just a matter of whether it is cost effective and that is down to personal choice.

I was referring to the supposed benefits. 

Was really tongue in cheek anyway, hence the 😁 :)

14 hours ago, PaulQ said:

I was referring to the supposed benefits. 

Was really tongue in cheek anyway, hence the 😁 :)

However if you remember Formula Shell, even one the big boys with massive research budgets can get it wrong.

Didn't want another interminable 95 vs 97+ octane debate. 😉

Archived