95 or 97 RON fuel for 2.7 987.1?

zcacogp

Guys, 

I have a 987.1 2.7 Cayman and have always filled it up with super plus fuel - i.e. 97 (or 98) RON fuel. Why? Because I always did so with my old car (944 S2) and it gave better MPG, a smoother engine and a bit more go when you pressed the loud pedal. Yes, the difference was noticeable. 

Does the 'better' fuel make any difference in the 987 or am I wasting my money? (I know that the proper answer is to try it for myself but I'm an idle hound and thought I would ask a bunch of experienced experts - i.e. you lot - before troubling myself to do some proper work .... ) 

Thanks! 

For me it doesn't really matter. I find mine runs better with super on motorways so if I have along journey then I'll try getting some good stuff. If it's local then whatever is available. I just always stay away from Asda fuel though. 

6 minutes ago, PaulQ said:

How come.? 

No particular reason tbh. I've just heard "it's the worst" so never used it in the Porsche. Have put it in a couple of times in the BMW when there is no other station available and tbh the BMW (old E36 325i) takes everything well.

Apparently most (all?) of the fuel comes from a single refinery, with additives added by the individual suppliers.

If I had a regular / repeatable commute, would love to plot the difference between regular and super on an SPC chart. Use Fuelly and have the data for most of my fuel ups, but my driving patterns are too variable these days, which would skew the results!

Long story short - fuel cap says 98. Most of the miles on my current car have been done with premium (97 - 99), and I use this when available. Have had no ill effects using normal, as many others do.

Probably used an equal split between premium and normal on my old 2.7. Not convinced I could tell the difference.

Did end up with what I suspect a dodgy batch of premium fuel on the current car, and it ran like garbage. Kept topping up with BP 97 and it started running sweet again. Have no idea what that was about!

2 minutes ago, K.I.T.T. said:

Apparently most (all?) of the fuel comes from a single refinery, with additives added by the individual suppliers.

If I had a regular / repeatable commute, would love to plot the difference between regular and super on an SPC chart. Use Fuelly and have the data for most of my fuel ups, but my driving patterns are too variable these days, which would skew the results!

Long story short - fuel cap says 98. Most of the miles on my current car have been done with premium (97 - 99), and I use this when available. Have had no ill effects using normal, as many others do.

Probably used an equal split between premium and normal on my old 2.7. Not convinced I could tell the difference.

Did end up with what I suspect a dodgy batch of premium fuel on the current car, and it ran like garbage. Kept topping up with BP 97 and it started running sweet again. Have no idea what that was about!

It could be mixture of fuels. I've had a similar problem in the BMW where I've put some shell in when it's had morissons and for a minute or so the car seemed to run like garbage and wasn't responding. Afterwards it was fine. I put it down to mixing of good and bad quality fuel, but in reality I haven't a clue! Has happened twice with same pattern. 

52 minutes ago, K.I.T.T. said:

I did this on my GT86 for the work commute. Mpg improvement easily paid the extra cost of the higher ron. 

19 minutes ago, Scubaregs said:

I did this on my GT86 for the work commute. Mpg improvement easily paid the extra cost of the higher ron. 

Interesting. Would be interesting to see the results on other cars.

Wish I'd done this when I had a 70 mile round commute with my old 2.7. Was against the traffic, and a good mix of motorway and urban stuff. Consistent, repeatable, and easy to gather a load of unbiased data.

Only changes for me is traffic really as I do 12 hour shifts, 4 on 4 off on a rolling rota so can be driving to or from work any day of the week. Pretty sure I did it over the 7 week cycle for both rons.

Haven't bothered with the Porsche, always had tesco momentum 99 ron in it. 

47 minutes ago, Scubaregs said:

Exactly what I have found over the past 20 years.  It first started for me with a Honda Firestorm - not the most economical of bikes and the early ones had smaller than standard tanks which could be drained in 80 miles (if ridden enthusiastically).  Super unleaded used to get me close to 10 miles more from a tank.

Even in an old KA I used to commute in, Super was the difference between 280 miles from a tank and 300+ 

I always use the super or v power or 99 over the normal stuff unless I’m totally stuck and do t have the option.  
there’s a definite difference in performance and mpg.  The engine is just much happier on the full fat stuff.  

I've only had my 987 2.7 Boxster for a couple of months, and have only used Tesco Momentum 99 RON from day one.  No point in trying to save a few pence at fill up time, and to be honest the fuel costs are the least of my problems :lol:

Well, that's a lot of comments in double-quick time! Thanks chaps! 

The increased MPG on my old 944 meant it was cheaper to run the high-octane stuff. The cost per mile was lower and the other advantages (smoother, more oomph etc) were a bonus. It sounds like the same will apply to the Cayman. I no longer have a nice repeatable commute either (work from home so the car is an occasional-use thing) so no opportunity to monitor it so I'll probably just stick with the better stuff, while I can get it. 

Thanks for the input. 

I tried mine on 97 and it seemed to not run as well, I let that run low and topped it up again with 97 but it still didn't feel right. I went back to 95 and it ran fine. I had a service done on the car before a run up to Scotland and ended up using Moffat's finest and noticed again the car didn't seem to like it. 

Others will likely have the opposite problem I'm sure but I did mention the above on one of Loz's runs and somebody else had the same experience. 

Years ago, in the UK, there were problems with some BMW (and others) engines which had aluminium bores with a Nikasil coating. High sulphur petrol damaged the coating and wrecked the engine. This high sulphur petrol was only available for some outlets like some supermarkets. The well known brands like BP, Shell, Esso etc didn't have a high sulphur content and engines run only on those lasted as normal. US spec BMWs of the same age had cast iron cylinder blocks. Aluminium engines with a steel liner for the cylinders (most Porsche?) should be OK with high sulphur fuel.

There's an easy way to see if high octane is of benefit. Check your MPG over several tanks. If the management is advancing the ignition timing to get the benefit of a higher octane (or retarding it because of too low octane) it will show in the MPG. For those who don't have a rolling road in their garage. 😀

Archived