Ferodo brake parts?

zcacogp

Chaps, 

I think my 987.1 2.7 will need some new brake bits this year. Wanting to take advantage of the January sales (and ignoring the fact that I have no money - hey, that's what credit cards are for eh?) I've looked online for disks and pads for the front and back of the car. Everyone recommends the usual brands; Mintex and Pagid and Brembo. All good stuff but they seem to be in the range of £80 or so per disk and the same for a set of pads for an axle. 

However Brakeparts.co.uk are offering Ferodo stuff for around £40/front disk and a similar price for the pads. I've used Brakeparts.co.uk before and they are good, and Ferodo is not an unknown brand (OE fit for Rolls and Bentley, apparently!) Has anyone used their stuff on a 987 and is it any good? My only concern is that it's suspiciously cheap and a fair bit of google-fu has failed to find any kind of review of them for Porsche applications (other than the DS2500 and DS3000 pads, which people either love or hate). 

So, has anyone used Ferodo stuff on their Porsche and is it any good? Thanks! 

No experience with Ferodo on cars but have used them on my motorcycle and they were as good as anything else. 
I replaced my 987.1S discs and pads recently with Pagid. The original pads were ok but was advised to change as a set. New pads left terrible brown dust on the alloys even after short journeys, so bad that I reinserted the original pads!  Not sure if Brembo or Ferodo would be any better. 

If the brown dust was the surface corrosion on the inboard side of the disc then it should stop after a few journeys of cleaning up. 

I've just spent quite a bit of time looking for new brakes complete for my 987.2 S. And comparing prices in the UK a nightmare with so many discount vouchers and so on, with the likes of ECP not seeming to have them all from one maker.  But did want a make I could trust - or rather as much as any. And reasoned sourcing it all from one supplier should give the very best deal.

Eventually found a complete kit on Ebay. All the discs and all the pads by Brembo. Sensors Einbach. Total cost delivered £389.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FOR-PORSCHE-BOXSTER-CAYMAN-986-987-FRONT-REAR-GENUINE-BREMBO-BRAKE-DISCS-PADS/153092718662?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

One thing that impressed about this seller is they didn't seem to pluck a maker RRP out of thin air.😀

54 minutes ago, edc said:

If the brown dust was the surface corrosion on the inboard side of the disc then it should stop after a few journeys of cleaning up. 

Thanks EDC but Brand new Pagid brake discs as well as the pads, so no corrosion that could cause that. I drove around for 1 month but dust kept gathering on the alloys. Swap back to originals and problem resolved. 

Chaps, 

Thanks for the replies. It sounds like no-one has direct experience but Ferodo were and probably still are a decent manufacturer. 

DaveEFI - I entirely agree about the difficulty of comparing prices. It's not simple. However your link at £389 is a lot more expensive; the company I posted links to would do the lot (F and R, pads and disks) for around £250 using Ferodo kit. I'm know not comparing like with like as I am pricing up for an early 2.7 and yours is a late 3.4 but that is over 50% more.  

2 hours ago, zcacogp said:

Chaps, 

Thanks for the replies. It sounds like no-one has direct experience but Ferodo were and probably still are a decent manufacturer. 

DaveEFI - I entirely agree about the difficulty of comparing prices. It's not simple. However your link at £389 is a lot more expensive; the company I posted links to would do the lot (F and R, pads and disks) for around £250 using Ferodo kit. I'm know not comparing like with like as I am pricing up for an early 2.7 and yours is a late 3.4 but that is over 50% more.  

It's what worries me. At one time Ferodo was a premium brand. No idea who owns it now, and if they still are. It's a minefield.

The main Ferodo UK factory is 1/2 mile down the road from me, and they do still make products in the UK.  They are now owned by Federal Mogul a US car part manufacturer.  They also now have factories all over the world so without further research  it may be difficult knowing where the particular products you are interested in are manufactured. So like many brands they appear to make products at different price points,  I would be very surprised if a £40 pad set is UK made.

1 hour ago, Greenman said:

I would be very surprised if a £40 pad set is UK made.

Points taken, thanks chaps. However we still have nothing definitive on whether this Ferodo stuff is any good or not. I know I am playing Devils Advocate here but none of you have said definitively whether it's good, bad or otherwise; just speculation based on price. 

FWIW, that website lists Mintex pads at £30.95 for a front axle set. And Mintex is one of the brands that is routinely recommended. I'll therefore not rush to discount the Ferodo kit for being too cheap. 

I'm almost tempted to order a set to see what they are like. If they are clearly shonky then I can return them for a refund. How do you tell a good quality set of brake disks and/or pads by looking at them? 

37 minutes ago, zcacogp said:

Points taken, thanks chaps. However we still have nothing definitive on whether this Ferodo stuff is any good or not. I know I am playing Devils Advocate here but none of you have said definitively whether it's good, bad or otherwise; just speculation based on price. 

FWIW, that website lists Mintex pads at £30.95 for a front axle set. And Mintex is one of the brands that is routinely recommended. I'll therefore not rush to discount the Ferodo kit for being too cheap. 

I'm almost tempted to order a set to see what they are like. If they are clearly shonky then I can return them for a refund. How do you tell a good quality set of brake disks and/or pads by looking at them? 

I'm sure they will be absolutely fine, but I guess people are reluctant to recommend them if they haven't actually tried them. 

Can't really see the point though when you could buy Pagid discs and pads all round for the same price. 

Paul, 

Well put, and thanks. I see where you are coming from. 

I guess I'm curious as much as anything. And perhaps willing to try something that others don't have. The idea of sale-or-return is appealing; if they appear to be low quality (in so far as you can tell from looking at them) then I'd still have the option of sending them back. 

Good point about the saving over Pagids being small though. 

I doubt you can tell much by looking to be honest.  Pagid are not much different either, they have multiple manufacturing sites with products at different price points, so just relying on the brand is no guarantee. So you really need direct experience of the particular product/application, I know that’s exactly what you are asking.    

So unless you get some direct feedback it’s just taking a punt. Chances are that a £40 Ferodo pad will be similar quality to a £40Pagid or £40 Mintex or Brembo pad. All are respected brands with at least some reputation to protect.

Definitely better If you have a vehicle that does few miles and you like to keep looking as good as possible.  
I like the Brembo as the coating keeps them looking as new.  Nothing looks worse than a rusty brake disc against your perfect alloy wheels.  

3 hours ago, sa utah said:

Definitely better If you have a vehicle that does few miles and you like to keep looking as good as possible.  
I like the Brembo as the coating keeps them looking as new.  Nothing looks worse than a rusty brake disc against your perfect alloy wheels.  

+1

7 hours ago, sa utah said:

+1

Archived