Help..!! Wheel nuts for 987 needed

Stevie G

1 hour ago, edc said:

As above I've been using the Techworlddirect ones since 2013. At that time nobody else on the forum seemed to have tried them. 

Ed, thanks for stepping out of the cave first!

You don't also test cheap climbing ropes do you?

1 hour ago, Menoporsche said:

Ed, thanks for stepping out of the cave first!

You don't also test cheap climbing ropes do you?

I like to get value for money so do have a relatively cheap climbing rope and carabiners bit good brand and quality. Old models if you like. I figure I won't test it as much as some fat b*st*rds might 😂

• 1 year later...

I think I will try a set of those Techworlddirect ones as when I looked at mine today they are sound, but do not look very pretty and with wheel refurb and new tyres the ones I have won't look good !

DSC-0854.jpg

Or you can spend $319.00 plus shipping on Titanium ones/

https://www.acerracing.com/collections/porsche/products/porsche-boxster-macan-718-titanium-lug-bolts?variant=14347891769379

Q. Don't the wheel refurb guys do a line on new bolts? If not, they're missing a trick.

8 hours ago, StephenM said:

I think I will try a set of those Techworlddirect ones as when I looked at mine today they are sound, but do not look very pretty and with wheel refurb and new tyres the ones I have won't look good !

Go over them with a wire brush, degrease them and spray on a couple of coats of Hammerite Smooth in silver (not on the thread or collar).  The colour match to original is almost perfect.

wMqsTtI.jpg 

The collars on my nuts are breaking down and 2 have completely disintegrated and remain jammed into the alloy where they were. If you zoom here hopefully you can see that way in whichthey are breaking down. I was gonna buy a new set but remembered I had a pair of 15mm spacers with longer nuts. So I fitted them yesterday. I then used the best of the remaining standard length nuts on the rears. I'm happier now knowing my nuts are good. But the car has lost some sparkle from the steering. It feels a bit muted compared to before with less chatter. And its got a bit heavier too. 

20210320-133441.jpg

20210402-125708.jpg

2 hours ago, ATM said:

I'd spotted them but there was such competition in the thread for price, I thought I'd weigh in with an opposite extreme. I assume the Titanium ones don't deteriorate at all? The premium can't be just their lightness, surely? I'd be a bit nervous that the tyre fitters might swap them out next time I replace the tyres. They'd notice you'd got the super expensive ones, I'm sure.

5 minutes ago, McDonald said:

I'd spotted them but there was such competition in the thread for price, I thought I'd weigh in with an opposite extreme. I assume the Titanium ones don't deteriorate at all? The premium can't be just their lightness, surely? I'd be a bit nervous that the tyre fitters might swap them out next time I replace the tyres. They'd notice you'd got the super expensive ones, I'm sure.

Yeah titanium isn't painted so it's just the metal you can see. Well it might be an alloy. It's strong, light and doesn't rust. It's also expensive. One of my mates thinks using titanium nuts isn't necessarily a good idea. Something about the sheer strength. But whatever. They're fashionable right now. 

5 hours ago, ATM said:

The collars on my nuts are breaking down and 2 have completely disintegrated and remain jammed into the alloy where they were. If you zoom here hopefully you can see that way in whichthey are breaking down. I was gonna buy a new set but remembered I had a pair of 15mm spacers with longer nuts. So I fitted them yesterday. I then used the best of the remaining standard length nuts on the rears. I'm happier now knowing my nuts are good. But the car has lost some sparkle from the steering. It feels a bit muted compared to before with less chatter. And its got a bit heavier too. 

20210320-133441.jpg

20210402-125708.jpg

You need to be replacing any wheel bolts with a damaged collar urgently...

On 4/4/2021 at 8:16 AM, ½cwt said:

Go over them with a wire brush, degrease them and spray on a couple of coats of Hammerite Smooth in silver (not on the thread or collar).  The colour match to original is almost perfect.

wMqsTtI.jpg 

Couple of questions - does the hammerite stay on when doing the bolts up (looks like they do) and what do you do with the locking wheel nut please?

6 minutes ago, StephenM said:

Couple of questions - does the hammerite stay on when doing the bolts up (looks like they do) and what do you do with the locking wheel nut please?

I painted my locking nut too.  Paint actually stays on that one better and as I've had me wheels of several times in the last year doing a lot of suspension and brakes work, they need redoing now but for normal use, maybe off a couple of times a year (servicing, new tyres etc), they'd need a refresh every couple of years particularly if you use your car year round.  

22 hours ago, StephenM said:

I’ve recently painted my wheel bolts with silver hammerite as part of a wheel arch clean up. Previously, no matter how long I left the paint dry for, there was always some damage when torquing up the bolts. I’ve even got a wheel socket that is supposed to prevent this from happening, but still get some damage.

Saw a post on a Facebook Porsche thread, where someone used a piece of plastic (thick carrier bag type) to just line the socket. I tried it & it protected the freshly painted bolt heads. 

Archived