987.2 PDK Paddle Shift Conversion

Ringmaster999

Ok so I’m in the market for a 987.2 and one of my must have’s is the PDK box and with paddle shifts. Now a lot of the cars out there have most of what I want except for the paddle shift. So simply has any one had the normal manual buttons on the steering wheel changed to the sports steering wheel and paddle shift.  
If so what was involved, prise paid and was it done at OPC or an Indy. Thanks in advance everyone 🍻

Can’t remember the exact figure but well worth getting it done. 
Porsche did it as it needs coded in as well. 
You not got the receipt Gutley?

:)

• 8 months later...

Personal choice of course.  Not had it either of my 2 pdk’s but have driven cars with it.  Better, yeah but not enough of a game changer for me. 

that said I have a standard 987.2 pdk wheel in the garage that I swapped out for a multifunction version on the previous car so if anyone wants to do a “steering wheel hack” to retro paddles onto it but doesn’t want to risk messing with their wheel, or wants to do a mod without having to have the car sitting without a wheel then make me an offer for it.  

decent condition black leather with pdk buttons. Came off a 2012 987.2. Standard round airbag.  

On 10/6/2020 at 7:39 PM, Paul P said:

Personal choice of course.  Not had it either of my 2 pdk’s but have driven cars with it.  Better, yeah but not enough of a game changer for me. 

that said I have a standard 987.2 pdk wheel in the garage that I swapped out for a multifunction version on the previous car so if anyone wants to do a “steering wheel hack” to retro paddles onto it but doesn’t want to risk messing with their wheel, or wants to do a mod without having to have the car sitting without a wheel then make me an offer for it.  

decent condition black leather with pdk buttons. Came off a 2012 987.2. Standard round airbag.  

Yup , definitely subjective - have to say I like having them having driven a couple of PDK's without them. I like the bigger target they present over the wheel buttons.

I use manual all the time via the paddles. 
Why take your hand off of the steering wheel when you don't have to?

I would take multifunction steering wheel over paddles but in an ideal world I would have both ( and heated)

now and again in normal use I will nudge a downshift for the buttons rather than a foot twitch. 

in manual mode and driving enthusiastically I tend to stick but will occasionally use the buttons. I can see the attraction of paddles in that case but not (for me) enough to retro  

paddles, and the sport design wheel look better for sure and I have never heard of anyone with paddles wanting to retro the buttons so I guess they work well. 

5 hours ago, Duffy3074 said:

I use manual all the time via the paddles. 
Why take your hand off of the steering wheel when you don't have to?

You'll not want to ever drive a manual, then. 😁 But just how often in normal driving do you need to take control of the PDK?

8 minutes ago, DaveEFI said:

You'll not want to ever drive a manual, then. 😁 But just how often in normal driving do you need to take control of the PDK?

In enthusiastic driving, I find being able to keep both hands on the wheel a big advantage. More so than any speed advantage in changes.

6 hours ago, DaveEFI said:

Once you've got used to a PDK (if you use it every day) wonder how many use the manual mode a great deal? When I do, I prefer to use the gearlever.😀

I've recently came from a manual -> PDK 

Normal day to day I let PDK do it's thing.  There are other times the paddles come into their own.

Each to their own - I like 'em and will use them in pref to the gear lever.

On 10/13/2020 at 3:29 PM, DaveEFI said:

No, that’s have to territory isn’t it? 

I’ve got a 2 manuals, a full auto with paddles and a PDK with paddles here and try to drive each to their strengths. 
With paddles, moving your hand elsewhere to activate a different switch to change gear strikes me as a bit pointless......

I use sports mode combined with manual control the majority of the time with the Boxster, it’s the most rewarding set up for me unless it’s late night or I’m pottering about town (which I rarely do in the car)

On 10/15/2020 at 10:06 AM, Duffy3074 said:

No, that’s have to territory isn’t it? 

I’ve got a 2 manuals, a full auto with paddles and a PDK with paddles here and try to drive each to their strengths. 
With paddles, moving your hand elsewhere to activate a different switch to change gear strikes me as a bit pointless......

I use sports mode combined with manual control the majority of the time with the Boxster, it’s the most rewarding set up for me unless it’s late night or I’m pottering about town (which I rarely do in the car)

That's the difference. I enjoy using my Boxster every day, for a variety of uses. I gave an old friend a trip the other day, and asked which car he'd prefer - the ordinary one or the Boxster. He opted for Boxster, and we did the 50 mile journey roof down heater (and seats) on. It is just as happy pottering as going for a blast.

Archived