Calliper Refurb or 18" Wheels - Which First?

½cwt

17 hours ago, the baron said:

I’m running Cayman S wheels with similar exposure, maybe not quite as much but my point is people won’t notice.

Hey it’s your hard earned just pointing out you could save hundreds of ££

Point taken, as I say I'm coming round to DIY. 

The main thing is vanity may be in not wanting to have tatty, faded, lacquer peeling, red callipers on display, in my mind may make people wonder about the rest of the car...  Plus if I go for DIY and I have other brake lines to replace I've got to bleed the system and may well then find seized nipples etc...  I guess the best route is to do the brake line work and see if my luck holds on the nipples when I bleed the system, then DIY paint if all is OK.  Thing is that a pro may not break a nipple that my luck says I will.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, bally4563 said:

I shall be ordering four PS91 next week 265  35.  19 and 235. 35. 19.  For less than 400 quid,

Fitted??  If so, where from?

17 hours ago, mrbikerdood said:

when I had my 986s I went for a full set of Kumho's and found they were great tyres and for the price great value

Have found Dunlop Sport Maxx RT2 at very similar price to Kumho PS91. Anyone got experience? They seem to have good fuel (lower rolling resistance), A wet and are 2 to 3dB less on noise. -3 dB is half the transmitted energy in noise so could be more restful on long distance cruises. 

Based on the fuel rating (F) for the Kumhos, I guess they have a notably higher rolling resistance (don't really care about the fuel but this might also explain their higher noise rating too) than the Dunlops, Goodyears or Michelins and they are B rather than A rated for wet.  Other than around £5-10 per tyre saving I can't see an outstanding reason to go that route unless they have a low wear rate as well.

I've not tried them or checked prices, but the Uniroyal Rainsport 5 might be worth looking at. 

Camskill are usually very competitive, but obviously there will be fitting costs on top. 

5 minutes ago, PaulQ said:

I've not tried them or checked prices, but the Uniroyal Rainsport 5 might be worth looking at. 

Camskill are usually very competitive, but obviously there will be fitting costs on top. 

Hmm, just run through some options on the Camskill website for a few different tyres and costs for delivered tyres seems higher than I can get them fully fitted.  One positive is that the Uniroyal you mention is notably cheaper in the rear size (about £25 less) than most other mid range to premium brands although the front is about the same as the others.

3 hours ago, ½cwt said:

Point taken, as I say I'm coming round to DIY. 

The main thing is vanity may be in not wanting to have tatty, faded, lacquer peeling, red callipers on display, in my mind may make people wonder about the rest of the car...  Plus if I go for DIY and I have other brake lines to replace I've got to bleed the system and may well then find seized nipples etc...  I guess the best route is to do the brake line work and see if my luck holds on the nipples when I bleed the system, then DIY paint if all is OK.  Thing is that a pro may not break a nipple that my luck says I will.

Give your nipples a little squirt of plusgas or similar every day for a week being careful not to get it on the pads/discs. By the time you come to loosen them they'll be good as new. And if that works you can do the same on the car. I put that in so no-one else had to bother.

Also as you're in the exciting metropolis that is Kettering don't buy until you've checked Orbit tyres at Wellingborough. The manager used to run a Cayman. I use them for all sorts of stuff and they're always competitive. Do great alignment with the hunter kit too. Mention my name and get 20% put on the price....

5 hours ago, JonSta said:

Give your nipples a little squirt of plusgas or similar every day for a week being careful not to get it on the pads/discs. By the time you come to loosen them they'll be good as new. And if that works you can do the same on the car. I put that in so no-one else had to bother.

Also as you're in the exciting metropolis that is Kettering don't buy until you've checked Orbit tyres at Wellingborough. The manager used to run a Cayman. I use them for all sorts of stuff and they're always competitive. Do great alignment with the hunter kit too. Mention my name and get 20% put on the price....

Can't beat a touch of Galvanic reaction to make you mortal!

BCS sell the Porsche Red paint kit for £29:95, which is complete with brush etc. and sufficient for 2 coats on 4 callipers. This will give you the same paint as the £750 job. Decals from eBay £5 or £6. A massive saving for the DIY option. 

12 hours ago, TomGW said:

BCS sell the Porsche Red paint kit for £29:95, which is complete with brush etc. and sufficient for 2 coats on 4 callipers. This will give you the same paint as the £750 job. Decals from eBay £5 or £6. A massive saving for the DIY option. 

Now that does look attractive for some effort and a know quality of paint.  Doesn't have a clear coat lacquer to trap a decal on the finish but decals are cheap enough if they deteriorate.

for £750 i'd imagine that should be a complete re-build of the calipers and painted as well? I am still with many others that you'd be surprised how effective a result you will get from DIY. just taking your time, lots of light layers and spend time masking the arch and suspension areas if keeping calipers on car. Depending on your ability, the caliper is held on by only 2 10mm hex bolts so are easily removed but can be done with the calipers still over the disc. There are various useful videos of people DIY-ing on youtube, some better than others. There's even one of a guy in the UK doing it on his 986 boxster.

Like I said, my callipers were pink. I rubbed down lightly and sprayed with VHT clear laquer. I don’t claim to know much about paint and stuff, but the laquer resulted in bright red callipers.  Think the laquer was about £10 and would seal in new decals if you wanted to go that way.

13 hours ago, BTM520 said:

for £750 i'd imagine that should be a complete re-build of the calipers and painted as well? I am still with many others that you'd be surprised how effective a result you will get from DIY. just taking your time, lots of light layers and spend time masking the arch and suspension areas if keeping calipers on car. Depending on your ability, the caliper is held on by only 2 10mm hex bolts so are easily removed but can be done with the calipers still over the disc. There are various useful videos of people DIY-ing on youtube, some better than others. There's even one of a guy in the UK doing it on his 986 boxster.

If I do DIY (or should that be DIM for myself?) I was planning on removing the callipers to prep. mask and paint them off the vehicle as I have to break the brake circuit to replace some of the hard line pipes as well.

The £750 was a full rebuild with all fresh seals and all fittings except pistions.  I have had 2 other prices for a full strip service and repaint with replacement nipples for around £400 but with prices going up from there to include piston seals and dust seals as required up to about another £100 if everything were needed except for actual pistions,  I think the £750 is a very much high end price but not sure how perceptible the £250 difference to the other services would show up...  The more I think about it the more likely DIY will be the route I go.  Plus with working from home most days now I have more time without travelling to various sites and offices taking chunks of time out of my life.

Now many of us will apparently have lots of time on our hands, I've decided that now I'm going to take my time to have a good look at the calipers, do the main brake lines that need work, then carefully remove flaky clear lacquer and if they are then in generally good condition in terms of paint and hydraulics, just apply a clear lacquer to preserve the original and protect the lettering and add a better gloss finish.  If not prep and paint them myself.

As for the 18" tyres these can wait at least until I can use them and more likely now 2021.

On 3/16/2020 at 9:12 PM, TomGW said:

I’ve seen lots of brush on kits. Is the surface quality good enough?

On 3/25/2020 at 1:59 PM, Danncus said:

I’ve seen lots of brush on kits. Is the surface quality good enough?

Good point, I did mine with a rattle can and its so easy, I would be concerned that you would see brunch stokes at least with the rattle can you can build up the layers uniformly, same with the clear lacquer.

19 hours ago, the baron said:

Good point, I did mine with a rattle can and its so easy, I would be concerned that you would see brunch stokes at least with the rattle can you can build up the layers uniformly, same with the clear lacquer.

Did you use temp resistant or just normal clear laquer?  I don't Imagine I'll ever get the brakes seriously hot or at least not in circumstances that would cause me great heartache that I'd damaged the lacquer.

On 3/25/2020 at 1:59 PM, Danncus said:
9 minutes ago, ½cwt said:

Did you use temp resistant or just normal clear laquer?  I don't Imagine I'll ever get the brakes seriously hot or at least not in circumstances that would cause me great heartache that I'd damaged the lacquer.

I used high temp paint but normal lacquer 

@the baron  Great.  As I'm time rich at the moment I'm considering only removing the lacquer that is peeing and after a very detailed clean and degrease just re-lacquering to preserve the original paint and lettering as well as restoring the gloss finish.  If it doesn't work out I can go down the pro refurb route in a year or two.  Also got time to do replacement brake lines so only one go at refill and bleeding the fluid.  Its just a bit too cold to work outside this weekend.

Just working on social separation and tyres.  Favourite it to use a mobile service so when they are coming I can stack the wheels at the end of the drive (visible from the house and in a quiet cul de sac)  Best option of quality to price I have found is National Tyres (hidden code for 5% off orders over £150 on their website) with Dunlop Sport Maxx RT2 for the 18" rims at a fraction over £400 all in.  But still not sure I want to spend £400 just now.

33 minutes ago, ½cwt said:
41 minutes ago, ½cwt said:

@the baron  Great.  As I'm time rich at the moment I'm considering only removing the lacquer that is peeing and after a very detailed clean and degrease just re-lacquering to preserve the original paint and lettering as well as restoring the gloss finish.  If it doesn't work out I can go down the pro refurb route in a year or two.  Also got time to do replacement brake lines so only one go at refill and bleeding the fluid.  Its just a bit too cold to work outside this weekend.

Just working on social separation and tyres.  Favourite it to use a mobile service so when they are coming I can stack the wheels at the end of the drive (visible from the house and in a quiet cul de sac)  Best option of quality to price I have found is National Tyres (hidden code for 5% off orders over £150 on their website) with Dunlop Sport Maxx RT2 for the 18" rims at a fraction over £400 all in.  But still not sure I want to spend £400 just now.

Found the original link to my thread, sorry about the pics photo bucket have put there logo across them as I won't upgrade to the pay for service, but it gives you an idea of what to do and what I used and how easy it is to do, I didnt even remove the calipers, which was stupid as it is so easy to do but even so the results were great

• 2 weeks later...

OK, bullet bitten. 

I've ordered up caliper paint kit from BCS, decals and some spare bleed nipples and as long as it all arrives the long 'holiday' weekend will be set aside for the work.  Will strip off the calipers, get them sand blasted them in a friend's workshop (about 50 metres from home....) ready for repaint and re-install.  Also got the parts and tools to change one or more brake lines. under the car as required.  I'll do some before and after pics if I remember.

Archived