Calliper Refurb or 18" Wheels - Which First?

½cwt

2 minutes ago, PaulQ said:

KU39 is a nice tyre, and cheap if you want 255/40/17

Aa I said in the OP, 18" rims so 225/40 and 265/35.  This may be why I'm struggling to find the KU37 Kumhos.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
27 minutes ago, ½cwt said:

Aa I said in the OP, 18" rims so 225/40 and 265/35.  This may be why I'm struggling to find the KU37 Kumhos.

Sorry, yes, looks like only the rears are available in KU39. 

24 minutes ago, myfirstboxster said:

Do the callipers properly , mine had a few seized pistons :angry:

How many is 'a few'? There's only 16 on the whole car ?!?

I have to say with the lower estimate I've received I am looking at doing it properly.  Besides If I do DIY and it doesn't look right or I'm not happy for some reason I'll have wasted my time and if only a small amount, my money as well as lost time I could have been driving it.  I'm thinking callipers off one weekend, drop/send them off Monday, pick them up Friday refit them Saturday whist I do other bits better suited to my talents i.e. mechanical not high end finish on paint work.

So should we all have our calipers stripped and rebuilt? Personally if I thought I had a braking problem then I would investigate why, if I didn't have a braking problem I wouldn't.

If it was all braking fine, I would get the wheels done and maybe just paint the outside of the callipers so it’s all looking neater.  Then the get the callipers done on the next round.

6 hours ago, Terryg said:

So should we all have our calipers stripped and rebuilt? Personally if I thought I had a braking problem then I would investigate why, if I didn't have a braking problem I wouldn't.

Once looking into professional repainting, the service work is actually less than 15% of the total cost and who knows they might uncover a latent issue that can be addressed at the same time, rather than a later failure and at the very least it is preventative maintenance.  I'm certainly not advocating 'it is essential to get your callipers serviced, even if they haven't failed' it is more a consequence of going for a pro repaint.

Do I need to do it, no but then I also didn't need to buy 18" rims that I've then got to buy tyres for...  discretionary spending I believe it is called, or vanity.

2 minutes ago, ½cwt said:

Once looking into professional repainting, the service work is actually less than 15% of the total cost and who knows they might uncover a latent issue that can be addressed at the same time, rather than a later failure and at the very least it is preventative maintenance.  I'm certainly not advocating 'it is essential to get your callipers serviced, even if they haven't failed' it is more a consequence of going for a pro repaint.

Do I need to do it, no but then I also didn't need to buy 18" rims that I've then got to buy tyres for...  discretionary spending I believe it is called, or vanity.

So 85% of the £750 is to paint the calipers?????? Your money your choice, you asked for opinions and you got them.

2 hours ago, Terryg said:

So 85% of the £750 is to paint the calipers?????? Your money your choice, you asked for opinions and you got them.

Oh good grief!! It gets worse and worse and worse, what with non N rated tyres , IMS and RMS and bore score , now I've got to look forward to seized Brake Pistons...wish I'd never bought one ....or five.!!,

3 hours ago, Terryg said:

Now based on the lower £400 price I found, not the £750 - that has been discarded now!

1 hour ago, bally4563 said:

Oh good grief!! It gets worse and worse and worse, what with non N rated tyres , IMS and RMS and bore score , now I've got to look forward to seized Brake Pistons...wish I'd never bought one ....or five.!!,

I'm sure I can come up with a few more too!

14 hours ago, ½cwt said:

Now based on the lower £400 price I found, not the £750 - that has been discarded now!

Its really not a difficult job, your crazy to pay that price, it took me about 30mins per corner to do a really good job that included sanding down, priming, 3 coats of black high heat paint, Porsche decals, then two layers of clear lacquer.

18 hours ago, Terryg said:

N-rated paint isn't cheap.

Wouldn't want the calipers to turn Guards Pink, would we?

5 hours ago, the baron said:

Its really not a difficult job, your crazy to pay that price, it took me about 30mins per corner to do a really good job that included sanding down, priming, 3 coats of black high heat paint, Porsche decals, then two layers of clear lacquer.

Slowly coming round to the DIY idea and seeing when I can plan the work in to my calendar, particular as I have found an acquaintance with a sand (or some similar material) blast cabinet in his work shop which will get a good prep and get rid of all the old paint and lacquer.

What high temp red paint and what clear lacquer do people recommend?

5 hours ago, K.I.T.T. said:

N-rated paint isn't cheap.

Wouldn't want the calipers to turn Guards Pink, would we?

And as for high temp N-rated paint....

They are certainly more a shade of dusty 'light red' at the moment rather than good solid bright bold mid red.

I painted faded calipers on a Subaru that I sold last year with Halfords caliper enamel. I wasn't expecting miracles but they looked pretty good and stayed looking good for several years. Have to be clever with masking tape but honestly how closely does the world examine your brake calipers? Did them on the car.

3 minutes ago, JonSta said:

honestly how closely does the world examine your brake calipers? Did them on the car.

To add to @JonSta comment most of the time they are obscured by the alloy wheel or covered in brake dust, unless your looking to show case your car its a waste of money and a really easy job

35 minutes ago, JonSta said:

https://www.tyreleader.co.uk/car-tyres/kumho/ecsta-le-sport-ku39/265-40-r18-101y-910941

Have I missed something here? That price is ridiculously cheap....

They also have the same tyre but not DOT 2016 at £128.19. Does that mean the cheap ones are old stock or superceeded or something?

Yes. They are cheap because they are 4 years old. 

Op wants 265/35 though.... 

2 hours ago, the baron said:

To add to @JonSta comment most of the time they are obscured by the alloy wheel or covered in brake dust, unless your looking to show case your car its a waste of money and a really easy job

It is a bit vanity related, but the callipers will be rather more exposed behind these rims than the standard thick spoke twists

irKoNGf.jpg?1 

Current tyres on these are old winter tyres from when they we run by the previous owner of them latterly on a 981 and they foul on the suspension struts, although he had them on a 986 prior to that with different tyres.

1 hour ago, JonSta said:

Not me - I want 265/40 18.

986 vs 987...  986 18" sizes are 225/40 front and 265/35 rear.

I was getting quite excited at these prices until I delved into the detail of fitting.  By the time you add about £16-17 a corner for fitting to 18" alloy rims the price is +/- £2 or there abouts vs Black Circles for the various types that are comparable and I'd be prepared to use. plus there is 3.15% back through TopCashBack currently on Black Circles making them cheaper again.

38 minutes ago, ½cwt said:

It is a bit vanity related, but the callipers will be rather more exposed behind these rims than the standard thick spoke twists

irKoNGf.jpg?1 

Current tyres on these are old winter tyres from when they we run by the previous owner of them latterly on a 981 and they foul on the suspension struts, although he had them on a 986 prior to that with different tyres.

I’m running Cayman S wheels with similar exposure, maybe not quite as much but my point is people won’t notice.

Hey it’s your hard earned just pointing out you could save hundreds of ££

On 3/11/2020 at 3:20 PM, JonSta said:

Checked some reviews on the Kumhos and wasn't blown away but if you guys say they're OK good enough for me. Some tyres suit certain cars and some don't I guess.Will be needing rears soon.

when I had my 986s I went for a full set of Kumho's and found they were great tyres and for the price great value

Archived