Is it OK to 'freshen up' the car on idle

John K

3 hours ago, entdgc said:

Hmmm! You might be surprised. Placed an order for a skipping rope (!) for my wife to keep fit about 10 days ago on Prime - still waiting...

I ordered a toilet seat from Amazon on Sunday, delivered on Monday and fitted today.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Darkstar said:

I ordered a toilet seat from Amazon on Sunday, delivered on Monday and fitted today.

I imagine they are in high demand as people are breaking them trying to use up the acre of Amazon rainforest they bought in the form of toilet paper.🤣

3 hours ago, rowbos said:

I had a conversation at home this afternoon about getting some stuff for the garden to keep us occupied through these troubled times.

Onto Amazon to buy a badminton net, a swingball set and an inflatable hot tub.  Err no chance!

I hadn't really considered Amazon delivery issues at all given the current restrictions on everything retail - I'm so used to ordering something and have it arrive the next day!

Now this all starts to feel a bit more serious, it's the end of human civilisation as we know it :cry:

I ve ordered a load of that kind of stuff of Amazon in the last week and it has all arrived pretty quickly, just avoid stuff that isn’t in the UK 👍

1 hour ago, Lonewolfgjp said:

I ve ordered a load of that kind of stuff of Amazon in the last week and it has all arrived pretty quickly, just avoid stuff that isn’t in the UK 👍

Right best start looking again then, cheers Gareth 🤔

2 minutes ago, Mattman42 said:

straight out the window without slowing down

That's how he got the job then. 🙂 

41 minutes ago, Darkstar said:

I ordered an Amazon FireTV stick to run Kodi yesterday and apparently it is an essential item so will be delivered tomorrow. 

Grr, nothing I wanted was available on Amazon.  I did just order a badminton net, set of boules and a swingball set from Decathalon Sports who are still delivering apparently...

7 minutes ago, rowbos said:

Grr, nothing I wanted was available on Amazon.  I did just order a badminton net, set of boules and a swingball set from Decathalon Sports who are still delivering apparently...

As you only ordered items from 1984, these will be delivered by 2nd class post only, and delivered to your nearest post office counter for you to collect from. As we do not have the internet in 1984, your parcels will be delivered to Glasgow on the 33rd April

TLDR:

1. Just use the car every couple of weeks to go to the shop (if you're not at risk).
2. Batteries in good condition will last a good few weeks without a trickle charger.
3. If the car can't be driven and you don't have a trickle charger, idling a car for 20 minutes once in a blue moon will not do any harm. It's the 20th century - engines and lubricants have come a long way since the Flintstone era.

38 minutes ago, Mattman42 said:

As you only ordered items from 1984, these will be delivered by 2nd class post only, and delivered to your nearest post office counter for you to collect from. As we do not have the internet in 1984, your parcels will be delivered to Glasgow on the 33rd April

Laugh if you like, when the sun is shining we will be frolicking in the garden with quality traditional games whilst you gingerly pick your way through the building site that is your garden :lol:

5 minutes ago, rowbos said:

Laugh if you like, when the sun is shining we will be frolicking in the garden with quality traditional games whilst you gingerly pick your way through the building site that is your garden :lol:

GIT :(

On 3/31/2020 at 1:06 PM, John K said:

Yeah, going to buy a CTEK from Amazon today (along with bird food)

Problem is, which one to buy... Cost doesn't matter too much, but I do need the ciggy lighter option. Faffing about under the bonnet is not an option.

I have looked at the CTEK thread, but its not that 'helpful' in recommending a model to somebody who just wants to pay for a problem to go away :laugh: 

CTEK MXS 5.0 - and get the cigarette socket charging adapter - that works perfectly on my 987.2 (and others too) - think they sell the ciggy socket adapter separately so would add one of those.

key in the ignition turn to position 1 so the dash lights up, turn back off again, plug in charger to power supply, then plug cigarette charging plug into socket in passenger footwell and leave it to do its thing.

no need to fiddle around with battery compartment

p.s. the ciggy charger plug has an orange end bit that can pull off and annoyingly sometimes remain in the socket. So I put a spot of super glue on mine to keep it on the plug - if you use charger in different type of car it may need to come off though, but for porsche you need the orange bit on.

11 minutes ago, frozen said:

CTEK MXS 5.0 - and get the cigarette socket charging adapter

Should be arriving today :thumbsup_still:

I need to get my head round the 'activating' the piggy lighter.

I'm guessing you have the CTEK connected and on before you go to position 1 with the key. My assumption is the car then detects there is something in the ciggy lighter and leaves it on even when the key is removed..?

I turn my CTEK on at the wall but not plugged into the car. 

Turn the ignition on and then off. 

Plug the CTEK into the car and remove the key from the ignition. 

Watch the CTEK display. The LEDs should turn on in sequence over a period of time as it goes through its cycle. 

Works for me.. 

I think the sockets actually detect if anything is plugged in and live on the car within 20 mins or so of the ignition being switched off. 

8 hours ago, John K said:

Should be arriving today :thumbsup_still:

I need to get my head round the 'activating' the piggy lighter.

I'm guessing you have the CTEK connected and on before you go to position 1 with the key. My assumption is the car then detects there is something in the ciggy lighter and leaves it on even when the key is removed..?

yup, thats the way, or ignition on and plug in charger - as long as ignition on when charger on, it shouldn't turn itself off later.

we had a 'piggy' lighter here last summer - but it was a big metal thing with a fire and a pig in it so maybe you mean something else 😃

On 4/2/2020 at 6:33 PM, frozen said:

we had a 'piggy' lighter here last summer - but it was a big metal thing with a fire and a pig in it so maybe you mean something else 😃

Just spotted that..! 

Mhhh, crackling....

On 4/1/2020 at 4:40 PM, rowbos said:

Nothing I wanted was available on Amazon Pantry - saw the last 2 cases of 24 cans of Pepsi Max drop out of my basket just before I was about to click the button for pay  😭 - no caster sugar (wanted to make meringues with all the eggs I've been given ) - no plain flour to make brownies - so gave up.

I've been worrying about how I can keep my battery maintained whilst I'm not using my car for an extended period. I have no power in my garage (yet) and no outside power outlet (also yet). I've steered clear of considering a battery conditioner as the thought of leaving a window open with an extension lead through it fills me terrible thoughts of intruders coming in whilst myself and my family are asleep at night. I just explained the above to my Wife and she immediately replied with "you just leave it on during the day and disconnect it at night, it's not rocket science Stew" 😁 I pride myself in finding solutions but have to admit this hadn't crossed my mind! I have now ordered the CTek MXS 5.0 and ciggy lighter adapter for my 986S 👍🏻

9 minutes ago, Stewart_H said:

no outside power outlet (also yet)

Same with me, I will be getting an IP 65 or 66 external socket fitted ASAP

But in the mean time, if you are going to use a boggo power extension cord to get power to the CTEK consider using the letter box.

Annoyingly whilst our letter box is extremely wide, it is 5mm too shallow to pass a 13amp plug through.

However, removing just the plug cover (one screw) was enough to pass the plug through the letter box. The cover was then reattached

So the CTEK is now doing its thang...

9 minutes ago, John K said:

Same with me, I will be getting an IP 65 or 66 external socket fitted ASAP

But in the mean time, if you are going to use a boggo power extension cord to get power to the CTEK consider using the letter box.

Annoyingly whilst our letter box is extremely wide, it is 5mm too shallow to pass a 13amp plug through.

However, removing just the plug cover (one screw) was enough to pass the plug through the letter box. The cover was then reattached

So the CTEK is now doing its thang...

I 'might' be able to close the downstairs loo window down to the vent position on the extension lead cable and be able to have it on all the time 🤔

6 hours ago, Stewart_H said:

I 'might' be able to close the downstairs loo window down to the vent position on the extension lead cable and be able to have it on all the time 🤔

If you're handy and have a soldering iron, get some lighting flex and extend the 12v side of the CTEK.  That's what I have done with all of my chargers.  Lighting flex can be easily trapped in a window.

Not sure what the postman thinks of @John K having a mains lead hooked up to the letterbox. 😄 

Archived