heated seats ? looking for things to do in lockdown

V6reu

Looked at a few of the threads about heated seats and just wondered if anyone has successfully fitted a heated seat kit but used original heated seat switches ?

I know its summer and not needed but its a great time to do things like this 

It is do able but you need all the OE parts or aftermarket equivalent of which there are very few. It is simpler and cheaper to use one of the aftermarket kits. There is a guide in the how to section. 

It's not just a case of wiring the OE switches to an aftermarket kit. There are delays in the seat. I looked at doing this ages ago and bought a complete batwing with switches but didn't bother in the end. 

4 minutes ago, edc said:

It's not just a case of wiring the OE switches to an aftermarket kit. There are delays in the seat. I looked at doing this ages ago and bought a complete batwing with switches but didn't bother in the end. 

I think the kits have rocker switches to switch the heating pads on, so you could wire in latching relay to use the factory switches.  Don’t think it would be to difficult.

18 minutes ago, Christopher2110 said:

Surely just a matter of finding a diagram that shows how the original switch is wired up and then moving that over to whatever kit you want to install ? 
IIRC there are a fair few pins on the back of the original switches though 

That’s what I thought.

If the OP wants some help with wiring, I would happily work out the wiring for you.

38 minutes ago, Sanky said:

That’s what I thought.

If the OP wants some help with wiring, I would happily work out the wiring for you.

Found this 

49794821866_ef8d17d072_b.jpg

41 minutes ago, Sanky said:

That’s what I thought.

I’d appreciate your help if you don’t mind 

cheers

Was quite a while ago when I looked into this on my 986, even bought the switches. 

Don't think it was possible with an aftermarket kit as the Porsche switches are momentary, not rockers.  I drilled some holes in the batwing in the end and used the switches out of the Waeco kit.

27 minutes ago, RickLS7 said:

Was quite a while ago when I looked into this on my 986, even bought the switches. 

Don't think it was possible with an aftermarket kit as the Porsche switches are momentary, not rockers.  I drilled some holes in the batwing in the end and used the switches out of the Waeco kit.

Did you put the hog rings through the heated mats? 

21 minutes ago, V6reu said:

Did you put the hog rings through the heated mats? 

I did all be it I used cable ties due to the way the seat covers fixings go through seat foam I couldn't see any other way. Mine are a waeco kit with switches in the bat wing wired to a switched live. Been in 5 years with no issues. It's not a difficult job but very time consuming. I have some pics somewhere if anyone needs pointers?

5 minutes ago, the baron said:

Might be easier to buy a set of seats from eBay with the element already fitted or is it not that easy.

It’s a lot more expensive and finding a good set is hard 

1 minute ago, V6reu said:

It’s a lot more expensive and finding a good set is hard 

About £300-£600 usually, as Ive looked in the past, but have never found Boxster red, others colours seem more common, there's a sand beige set from a 987 on at £600 at the moment, and it has the added benefit of the seats being lower being a 987 so more leg room if installed in a 986

Archived