GTS - worth it?

Rooose

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
37 minutes ago, Adrianb10 said:

have been looking at all the adds and at the moment the advertised price is strong ...but who knows when we can actually go and haggle face to face

Have a good private offer on mine so cash may be king

Good luck, hope you get the car you want!

1 hour ago, R1HJK said:

Lots of interesting comments regarding the 991 GTS. That car was on my radar after the Boxster.

I presume you mean a 981 GTS? but the 991 GTS was what i was going to buy, until i watched top gear with Chris Harris in the Carerra S, i have now driven one and yep does everything i want it to do for alot less money.

1 hour ago, MIkeyv60 said:

I presume you mean a 981 GTS? but the 991 GTS was what i was going to buy, until i watched top gear with Chris Harris in the Carerra S, i have now driven one and yep does everything i want it to do for alot less money.

Lol is that not the opposite of everything you've just said. 991 GTS does look awesome I'd love one too. The 997 GTS was a stunner too.

8 hours ago, MIkeyv60 said:

As mentioned, at least 2 forums members went from 991 GTS to a Boxster GTS. The 991 GTS is a lovely car but if it’s too fast for public roads it could be frustrating. I do think the 981 has more than enough power. 

1 hour ago, R1HJK said:

As mentioned, at least 2 forums members went from 991 GTS to a Boxster GTS. The 991 GTS is a lovely car but if it’s too fast for public roads it could be frustrating. I do think the 981 has more than enough power. 

You could say anything around 200 has enough power really , i really like the GTS but ive had a chat about this one? https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201911184474820?body-type=Coupe&advertising-location=at_cars&sort=price-desc&make=PORSCHE&radius=1500&postcode=rg265uw&aggregatedTrim=991 Carrera S&model=911&onesearchad=New&onesearchad=Nearly New&onesearchad=Used&page=1

Speed is much more the sensation than shorter times A-B, look at the hostility here to Teslas and love for the MX5.  The Boxster is a smaller lighter car without a roof, the sensation is of more fun even though it’s slower. I disliked my Impreza as I had to do stupid things to get any sense of fun. 

39 minutes ago, Menoporsche said:

Speed is much more the sensation than shorter times A-B, look at the hostility here to Teslas and love for the MX5.  The Boxster is a smaller lighter car without a roof, the sensation is of more fun even though it’s slower. I disliked my Impreza as I had to do stupid things to get any sense of fun. 

Nicely put! 
I’m glad I had a 911, something I had wanted for a long time, but it helped me realise what suits me, my driving and what I really wanted from a sports car. 
in regard to the topic I have to say I believe GTSs are worth it! 

I test drove a 911 the week before lock down, although this was a childhood dream, car was not for me. Want something I can take for a cruise and not worry about parking.

The power was amazing but I think I would be worried every time I took it out.

41 minutes ago, Adrianb10 said:

I test drove a 911 the week before lock down, although this was a childhood dream, car was not for me. Want something I can take for a cruise and not worry about parking.

You worry about all cars everytime you you take them out,the boxster was keyed and i always expected marks when i returned to the GLE due to the size and the normal sized car parking spaces. I cant live my life thinking what if?

44 minutes ago, Adrianb10 said:

be worried every time I took it out

I think you will find there are a lot of forum members who also worry about this. A good example is parking the other end of the car park at supermarkets! 

3 minutes ago, JohnSyn said:

I think you will find there are a lot of forum members who also worry about this. A good example is parking the other end of the car park at supermarkets! 

😂 Then when you return there is a people carrier with lots of kiddy seats in it parked next to it. You then spend the next 5 mins looking down the side of your car ?

Just now, MIkeyv60 said:

😂 Then when you return there is a people carrier with lots of kiddy seats in it parked next to it. You then spend the next 5 mins looking down the side of your car ?

So right Mike! Sometimes I even just pull the car out and then have a good look! 

18 hours ago, daz05 said:

Lol is that not the opposite of everything you've just said. 991 GTS does look awesome I'd love one too. The 997 GTS was a stunner too.

The price difference between a 981 gts and s is alot less than a 911 gts to a carerra s so the jump isnt worth it to me, wheras the 981 would be.

10 hours ago, MIkeyv60 said:

Now that is a lovely 911...!

I agree with the comments above from @Menoporsche about the fun factor being very important.  And @JohnSyn commented about our experiences owning a 991.2 GTS - but without the benefit of hindsight I would do it all again - I loved owning and driving a 911 including taking it on a 3000 mile European trip.  But after a while it just didn't have the same 'afternoon out' fun factor of the Boxster, it's hard to explain but it just felt too ordinary at legal speeds as it was so fast and capable it always wanted to go faster to feel any fun - and that would have ended up in tears!  The 981 GTS is more than fast enough to have fun, I look forward to and enjoy every trip out in it, and it's comfortable and practical enough for my wife and I to have a two week holiday.  In an ideal world with enough money and an extra garage I would own a 911 of some kind alongside the Boxster. 

That is a very good looking 911 @MIkeyv60, I can fully understand the desire for a 911, they look beautiful, and feel special - that look at the rear wings through the door mirrors!

It's all been said in this thread really, we're all a little different and there is no wrong choice - so enjoy making your decision.

6 hours ago, Adrianb10 said:

The public perception of a 911 won't be any different to a nice shiny boxster or cayman.

13 hours ago, MIkeyv60 said:

Ah!! So it’s not just me then 😁

and to answer the question in the title: Yes!!!

Archived