GTS - worth it?

Rooose

All those with a GTS, what made you go for it over an S?

I am seriously considering changing my 987 for a 981 and I am finding myself drawn to the GTS. Would be interested to know if the GTS is really worth the premium they command?

I am in discussions on a 'leggy' 45,000 mile 2015 GTS at the moment and I am a bit concerned it might be a bit too much mileage for one of these(in porsche world) for anything else it wouldn't really bother me!

Love to hear your thoughts!

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is something special about the 981 GTS............of course its just an S with the “right” options included.......any S owner will tell you that.......what they won’t tell you is that Porsche put something special into the mix and made it greater than the sum of its parts .......you simply cannot replicate it with an S no matter what the options you add ............

Comments I would make ...

- I had a PDK, my first.....I enjoyed the experience of getting to know the PDK BUT this really is a very special drivers car and if I got one again I would get a manual.....as good as PDK is I missed a manual box ultimately.....(I specifically later got a manual 987 over a PDK)

- get one with the GTS “pack”......yes its cosmetic but it really adds to the GTS experience

- ideally make sure its got dual climate (you’re be surprised how many don’t.........those without it will tell you you don’t need it BUT the smaller the cabin ie in a 2 seater...the MORE full climate control adds value as the temp fluctuations are exaggerated so you don’t need to think about it)

- I wanted alcantara.....again part of the GTS experience......its was standard but some specced leather which was a no cost option......loved it as again it sets the car apart and makes it feel that bit special again

Drive one and experience one of the THE best sounding cars ever made ..........the big dilemma is then is it worth the premium over an S to you.......its hard to compare like with like as not many S have even close to a GTS spec (ie Sport chrono, PSE, PASM, etc, etc......) and even then they are not “equal”......when I got one there was c a £10k premium over a very well specced S.......I simply got that back when I sold it ie it did not “cost” more it just tied up more capital whilst I had it...........I’m not up to speed with the current market in these strange times but it will always remain a special car no matter what the market..........it is a buyers market out there though ......enjoy the experience of making you mind up and if you do have the opportunity to drive one........at least do that to see if its for you...

I've had a 981 S, Spyder and now GTS. All great cars but the GTS  is my favourite one.

I bought the S new in 2013 and really enjoyed driving it. However it was my first sports car for a number of years and, to be honest, my experience with this helped me better understand what I was looking for. I was then fortunate to get  Spyder in autumn 2015 and what a drivers car that was. It was a fantastic experience every time I drove it but I got more and more frustrated with the way the hood went up and down, having experienced with the S the hood going up and down at the flick of a switch. Assuming you were doing under 30mph!! I then had a 911, a 991.2 GTS, as I'd always wanted a 911. Glad I did, great car and the itch was scratched. However almost too fast to enjoy on our roads. I then bought the 981GTS. Great car, great sound, and I can drive it 'spiritedly' without worrying too much about speed, etc. its got all the bells and whistles one could reasonably want and it is a cracking looking car. 

Thanks both for the input, really useful to have some real life experiences but less good for my wallet I expect!

Yes, I think the GTS is the way to go - I am considering an S but I know what I am like - I will get in the S and wish I had a GTS.....

I think I need to drive a GTS though, just to be sure.

Ideally, it would be a manual, but they appear to be so, so hard to find but PDK is not the end of the world for me and isn't a deal killer.

Jonttt - spec is an interesting one - they seem to vary a lot and hadn't clocked the climate option until now - thanks for the heads up.

I will try and enjoy the search......

I agree with the above from my nearly 3 year 981BGTS ownership.

This is my first Porsche and when I bought it I figured it was simply a stepping stone to a 911, but having tried a few since owning the GTS I will simply wait until I can get myself into a GT3 whilst keeping the Boxster as it's such a great do it all sports car.

In my opinion the GTS feels lush with the Alcantara/Carbon/leather dash & fancy stitching although mine has leather wheel/PDK knob which I guess won't age so much being the main contact points for sun creamed/sweaty hands.  I love the PDK as it just does it all, so intuitive and to have the options from fully normal auto (believe me you will use this on long hauls) to Sport Plus Manual is good.

Aesthetically the GTS with it's darker lenses, diffuser and spoiler I think looks a bit more premium although quite honestly the 981 shape in any model is a cracking design where Porsche really got it right from any angle.

The PSE is superb and especially so I think with the PDK, but it can be a bit loud which is both good and bad depending on your mood and surroundings.  20" wheels I think work well with the car and PASM ensures a good ride on just about any road although Sport Plus on the road is pretty pointless and almost unbearable although on track it's ace.

Getting in the GTS every time and firing it up still after the nearly 3 years feels good and it feels like a proper well engineered and finished car.

I like mine....can you tell!!

2 hours ago, Rooose said:

I am in discussions on a 'leggy' 45,000 mile 2015 GTS at the moment and I am a bit concerned it might be a bit too much mileage for one of these(in porsche world) for anything else it wouldn't really bother me!

Personally the Porsche mileage thing is based on owners worrying about residuals rather than enjoying the car.  If the car's been well maintained I don't see an issue - it's a 3.4 L relatively long geared car (especially the manual) so really quite hard to cane on our roads in normal use.  Interior/exterior again might show some signs of wear, but that's life.

54 minutes ago, Rooose said:

they seem to vary a lot and hadn't clocked the climate option until now

It depends on what you want. My S and my current GTS didn't have climate but the Spyder did. Mine is a second, weekend, car and I find the current heating etc arrangement works fine for me and I certainly wouldn't see it as a deal breaker. 

1 hour ago, GTSMarky said:

Personally the Porsche mileage thing is based on owners worrying about residuals rather than enjoying the car.  If the car's been well maintained I don't see an issue - it's a 3.4 L relatively long geared car (especially the manual) so really quite hard to cane on our roads in normal use.  Interior/exterior again might show some signs of wear, but that's life.

I agree with this. I bought my 2012 981S (PDK, Sport Chrono, PASM, Dual Climate, Memory Seats - so not far off GTS spec!) with 70,000 miles on the clock. The only issues so far (touch wood) have been a failed VVT solenoid and high pressure fuel pump - both components well known for high mileage failures on the 981. If you want reassurance about the mechanical longevity of the drivetrain, go for the PDK over the manual because the PDK has built in over-rev protection. This together with a good service history means you can buy a high miler with confidence. 

I think you just need to weight up if the outlay is worth it to you which is just as important as how you plan to use it.

I looked for a BGTS for a while (over a year!) and I felt premiums were high for them atleast 10k once in a blue moon and close to 15-20k! depending if you looked at a OPC.

I just couldn't justify close to 45-50k for a BGTS as I planned to do around 8-12k a year in the car including road trips etc

That kind of millage in a BGTS will spank the price. I also found it VERY hard to get a BGTS in the right spec, interior, dual clim etc etc all added to the headache of finding on.

In the end I got an VERY well specced S. I had to go private and jump at it but I am very happy. I have no doubt the BGTS is probably better but 15k better? Only an individual can answer that.

I would say on a very personal note that if you think you want/need an option then you probably do! my car has 18k odd of options and many of them I had on my imaginery MUST list and I am very glad I did. I think I would be a little hacked off right now if I didn't have them even though you go on forums and they say you don't need them or are pointless: PASM, PDK, PSE, Sport Steering, dual climate, DAB etc ...

@Rooose, I haven't a great deal to add to the above excellent advice, I have had a strange journey to my current car too - bought a new BGTS in late 2015, loved it but had always fancied a 911, so traded it for a new 991.2 GTS in mid 2017, loved the experience but it was so fast and capable it was a little sterile for me in normal driving - couldn't get the car to 'come alive' until silly speed,s and using full throttle for more than a few short seconds happened very rarely, after a year I found myself not taking it out so often, then I came to the conclusion I longed for a BGTS again.

Manual ones are rare, but in my opinion the PDK is so good it hardly matters, you can drive it and enjoy in all modes from full auto to Sport Plus in manual (that's fantastic!)  SP in auto is a bit manic with the engine always at top revs).  Many have good options fitted, you can make a few must haves then see what comes along and go from there.

Lastly, if you can't see one you love right now, I would wait until OPC's open and new cars start coming through - a few owners might upgrade to the 718-6 GTS resulting in more 981's on the market.

Have fun!!

Thanks all, appreciate all of the advice, as always, this forum has some excellent contributors.

@Gorsh you make an excellent point, and that is what I have been mulling. It seems there are a few deals t be done now, but will that increase going forward?

A couple of dealers have told me pricing will be going up once forecourts are back open - I have taken that advice with a pinch of salt!

If it's going to be a GTS, it has to be the right one or I will end up regretting it, so maybe sitting and waiting for exactly the right one is the best way to go. Trouble is, when I decide on a car, I get a little impatient!!

Looking at the 981 GTS market of current and seeing their value now compared to 18 months ago is crazy. It does help that there is a number of them to choose from right now. That larger number of them for sale might also help you haggle for the one you want. 

1 hour ago, 986CKY said:

Looking at the 981 GTS market of current and seeing their value now compared to 18 months ago is crazy. It does help that there is a number of them to choose from right now. That larger number of them for sale might also help you haggle for the one you want. 

I haven't looked..

Crazy good or crazy bad?  Prices holding up?

Hmmmm,  GTS is of course lovely  and congratulations if you have one they are stunning.  If you bought new it was the sensible choice but I've never been able to see past the argument for a well specified S in the used market.  I  managed to find a car with an almost GTS spec, full leather instead of alcantara  and got myself Golf R to sit alongside it with the majority of the change.

Performance wise there is no difference against a sports chrono equipped S (tried and tested) and I don't think the alcantara ages well.  Other thing to consider now is that their price is coming down and the Spyder is getting closer in price.  The Spyder is my ultimate 981, it's simply stunning.

4 hours ago, IATM said:

I think you just need to weight up if the outlay is worth it to you which is just as important as how you plan to use it.

I looked for a BGTS for a while (over a year!) and I felt premiums were high for them atleast 10k once in a blue moon and close to 15-20k! depending if you looked at a OPC.

I just couldn't justify close to 45-50k for a BGTS as I planned to do around 8-12k a year in the car including road trips etc

That kind of millage in a BGTS will spank the price. I also found it VERY hard to get a BGTS in the right spec, interior, dual clim etc etc all added to the headache of finding on.

In the end I got an VERY well specced S. I had to go private and jump at it but I am very happy. I have no doubt the BGTS is probably better but 15k better? Only an individual can answer that.

I would say on a very personal note that if you think you want/need an option then you probably do! my car has 18k odd of options and many of them I had on my imaginery MUST list and I am very glad I did. I think I would be a little hacked off right now if I didn't have them even though you go on forums and they say you don't need them or are pointless: PASM, PDK, PSE, Sport Steering, dual climate, DAB etc ...

Pretty much matches my journey and thinking ( but OPC bought and 3 years ago) .  I’ve never regretted getting my well specced S, though I suspect I would think similarly had I gone for the GTS.

PS. My OH was about to buy a new (or rather 1 year old) car before the lockdown.  Checking prices now they seem unmoved compared to early March, I keep reading on Pistonheads about bargains to be had, but not in our experience.  To be honest I don’t know how anyone can really evaluate prices given dealers aren’t really open and no one is looking! I’m sure the odd private buyer is desperate to get rid and taking a bath, but in general I think it’s difficult to know one way or another at the mo’.

10 minutes ago, 718as said:

That looks to be a great car. The used 2nd car / fun car market is going to be interesting in the months ahead. Money is going to be tight and unfortunately opportunities to use these cars as you previously are going to significantly reduced for quite a while. 

Just a point re PASM......get a DSC controller.....its transforms PASM so you can actually use sport mode on the road......you then truly get two cars for the price of one.........did I mention well specced S owners would claim there is little difference and the price premium is not justified lol..........as I said there will always be a price premium between even the best specced S and a GTS so the total cost of ownership will actually be very little as the running costs are identical......if you can afford to tie up the capital the GTS may even be the cheaper option....it certainly was for me 😉

7 minutes ago, 718as said:

Yep that looks fantastic but at the end of the day there is a reason why the market values a 981 GTS higher 

Archived