GTS - worth it?

Rooose

43 minutes ago, 718as said:

That's the car I am talking with Ashgood about - although there is some strange early service history that I hope will be clarified before committing to anything.......

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ashgood have a good rep....

The actual car...points worth’s noting....

- its has the turbo alloys, popular upgrade but personally I prefer the Carrera S wheels 

- it has painted roll hoops

downsides for me

- it has the free leather option seats etc.....so loses a lot of what a GTS is about for me

- it does not have the GTS / carbon pack which was an expensive options but most cars tend to have it (at a guess) and it makes a difference when you come to sell it ire contrast stitching, coloured rev counter, coloured GTS stitching, full carbon interior trim (instead of the silver), red edged seatbelts and floor mats (red or silver contrasts where the choices)......as these came with extended leather dash etc... as standard the contrast stitching in particular is very nice when in the cabin

.....ps the other “nice” option to look for / be aware of is the GTS exterior pack, its rarer than the internal pack and gives gloss rather than Matt exterior GTS parts.....it really makes the GTS trim “pop” compared to the Matt 😉

3 hours ago, GTSMarky said:

I haven't looked..

Crazy good or crazy bad?  Prices holding up?

One priced at £39k and others low 40's lot's lower compared to such as a year or so ago when you would be expecting to see them around £50k+ 

It's all relevant, 80% of the 981 market is priced under £30K now. 

It just feels like a crazy drop in price if like me you don't see 12-18 months as a long time. 

The car has to have the GTS pack as thats the only option you couldnt add to the s, i think the GTS has piped in induction sound too so you get that roar on acceleration.

My friend who works for Audi havent changed their prices as he said there is no need at the moment as people arnt really looking and your not supposed to drive anyway, i sorned my car , he said all will change when you can meet face to face and are freely available to drive around again , i dont think that will happen until June

GTS , is it worth it? Well here's my answer - HELL YES!! (but I guess I'm a bit biased!)

I had a 987 Black Edition when the 981 was launched and was more than happy to keep it as I just couldn't justify the cost to upgrade to 981. Then they launched the GTS and the styling changes then caught my eye and I wanted one! Absolute deal breaker for me was the GTS interior pack as that, IMHO, is what sets the GTS above the rest. Without it you may as well be sitting in nicely specced 2.7 or an 'S' but the GTS interior with the red dial and stitching, alcantara and carbon trim and of course 'GTS' stamped on the tacho right in front of you really makes you feel you're sat in something special with a true racing pedigree. You'd be surprised how many don't have that specced, I couldn't find one which is why I bought new and just managed to get one of the last build slots (I think @Gorsh must have got the very last UK slot about a week after me?)

4 1/2 years and 51,000 miles later I don't regret it one bit, it's a beautiful looking car, does everything from shopping to track days to Euro-road trips, sounds incredible (GTS has the sound symposer that the others don't) and is ALWAYS exciting to drive. 

For me the GTS is just that little bit more special and a cut above the 'S' that makes me feel so lucky, privileged and happy every time I get in and fire up that flat six. GTS interior and preferably the GTS exterior pack is a must though. 

It's a very personal thing though and what makes it harder is that, let's be honest, all Boxsters are bloody brilliant aren't they!!

I could not have put it better myself, so I won't try!

All I will add is that I faced the same dilemma a couple of years ago. Ultimately I knew deep down that I would have retained a GTS itch if I hadn't taken the plunge. I'm so glad I did: I love it and every journey puts a massive smile on my face.

7 hours ago, Rooose said:

The one I was considering is now gone...... probably a good thing, allows me to gather thoughts and find exactly what i want, which seems to have grown after all the advice!

Maybe not sold though? Alot of dealers have sor cars and might have  been pulled by the seller and will return at a later date?

11 hours ago, Jonttt said:

Ashgood have a good rep....

The actual car...points worth’s noting....

- its has the turbo alloys, popular upgrade but personally I prefer the Carrera S wheels 

- it has painted roll hoops

downsides for me

- it has the free leather option seats etc.....so loses a lot of what a GTS is about for me

- it does not have the GTS / carbon pack which was an expensive options but most cars tend to have it (at a guess) and it makes a difference when you come to sell it ire contrast stitching, coloured rev counter, coloured GTS stitching, full carbon interior trim (instead of the silver), red edged seatbelts and floor mats (red or silver contrasts where the choices)......as these came with extended leather dash etc... as standard the contrast stitching in particular is very nice when in the cabin

.....ps the other “nice” option to look for / be aware of is the GTS exterior pack, its rarer than the internal pack and gives gloss rather than Matt exterior GTS parts.....it really makes the GTS trim “pop” compared to the Matt 😉

I agree with all your comments except the last one.

I have had two GTS's, one with the gloss exterior pack and one without.

I found that the  gloss finish chipped badly and looked a mess very quickly, whereas the Matt finish does not chip so looks better in the long term.

The GTS internal trim option, is the only bit you couldn't add to a S.

The GTS was about 6K cheaper than specking out an S with the same options - when I looked to buy one new anyway.

It does have the best options and the Techequipment exterior kit looks way better than standard.  Searching for a GTS does ensure you get most of the nice to have options, and thus reduces the aggro of the search.

But the badge snobbery is the only thing keeping the prices so inflated.  No other car could charge such a premium in the 2nd hand market for options fitted.

At the risk of repeating myself....albeits a well acknowledged fact the GTS is more than the sum of its parts......it is NOT just a well specced S........different mapping, different sound, different emotional experience........it was generally accepted to be one of those rare cars that is simply more than the sum of its parts........Porsche sprinkled a little bit of magic on the 981 GTS and that is why they are so well regarded in the market over a well specced S.......the best thing really is for the OP to actually drive one and experience it for himself.......

It will be interesting to see how the 718 GTS 6 cylinder compares as it is likely not to be able to replicate that sound in quite the same way ......time will tell

I think ecu is tweaked and the throttle bodies are bigger to give the xtra power? The pse is identical ref sound but the gts has the sound symposer ( piped in sound ) so im guessing that makes a bit of a difference , As said it the interior pack that make it that bit more special.

1 hour ago, Jonttt said:

.....the best thing really is for the OP to actually drive one and experience it for himself.......

Exactly what I have decided to do! To find the right spec means spending quite a premium over a good spec S and I need to see for myself if its worth that extra outlay or not.

Based on GTS owners on here, I suspect it is but I really need to find out for myself....

The only difference is plastic, trimmings and the software mapping.

For me at least, the sum of its parts argument applies when you have mechanical differences that all add up to alter the way it steers and drives. When I drove the 987 Spyder I felt that argument applied because the little changes did alter the experience. When I drove the GTS I was won over by the aesthetics of it rather than the experience.

The ultimate drivers 981 rag top is the Spyder, followed by an S or a GTS with a manual box and X73 fitted, buckets and perhaps the LSD if you can disable the rear braking malarkey.

The price differential comes from the fact they are typically newer cars with a great spec as standard whereas the standard spec on the other models is horrendous and you know that options don't count towards the valuation. In the US for example you will see the gap is much less, most likely because they could option spec in packages.

All that said that blue one was well priced and I'd have been tempted myself if I didn't already have mine.

Personally apart from the kit which I’d love and a little badge snobbery it wasn’t worth an extra 20k for me , got a very high specced  S and I don’t have a single regret.Funny how similar specced when new set the S more expensive but now there’s such a premium, can’t imagine another brand where that would be found/tolerated but that’s where Porsche marketing kills it...

So if Ashgood have a GTS at ticket price of £39,000 before any horse trading and have a 20K miler 1 owner at 43K is it reasonable to expect a nice spec 20K miler to be 40K privately?

On the lookout and that's the figures I've got in my head.

When I look on AT the private ad's seem to price themselves above Ashgood's prices.

Note-I paid £43K for a fully loaded low mileage Cayman 2.7pdk 981 off an OPC 2yrs ago so I know you need to pay for best examples but some of the private sellers surely can't be looking at retail prices.

15 minutes ago, Hood69 said:

So if Ashgood have a GTS at ticket price of £39,000 before any horse trading and have a 20K miler 1 owner at 43K is it reasonable to expect a nice spec 20K miler to be 40K privately?

On the lookout and that's the figures I've got in my head.

When I look on AT the private ad's seem to price themselves above Ashgood's prices.

Note-I paid £43K for a fully loaded low mileage Cayman 2.7pdk 981 off an OPC 2yrs ago so I know you need to pay for best examples but some of the private sellers surely can't be looking at retail prices.

Private sale price should in theory be calculated by the trade in value with some of the difference to retail added more to make it worth their while.  Ergo private sale should be 40k max but 3x is closer to the actual.  Different option combinations are more desirable than others.

8 minutes ago, Adrianb10 said:

I was looking at upgrading my S to a spyder but reading all the comments and watching so many youtube reviews looks like I need to find a mint GTS now.

Excellent information

In my opinion, from my experience, the right call Adrian. I hope you find the car you want, but when I was looking for one they are rarer cars and I accepted some compromise between what I'd like and what I bought. Before lockdown etc I was given to understand my trade in would start with a 4, maybe it will be lower now but to be honest as I'm likely not to get the car, if I do go with a new one, until later in the year who knows! 

Archived