Fitting a IPD intake plenum and 82mm throttle body

JohnSyn

I have had 200 cell cats with a equal length manifolds on my car for about a month now, the car was dynoed before and after and it only gained 3 hp and this was right at the top end but it did gain some torque all the way through rev range, I don't have the graphs to hand so can't check the exact amount. The improvement in the noise alone was worth it for me.

I had a GT3 throttle body and large plenum fitted on my old 987 S, it also had a primary decat, it gained 15hp overall but this was ALL right at the top end and unless you revved it right out all the time it was hardly worth it, it actually felt faster in normal driving after I put it back to mostly standard. The car also dropped an EML regularly, especially when it was hot and you left it idling, it still did this even after I had the O2 sensors spaced out which I was promised would cure it, although I have a suspicion that partial decat might have been equally to blame here.

Needless to say I will not be going down this route with my 981, no EML issues so far, although for obvious reasons I haven't driven it that much. I would still love somebody to try the GTS engine power option that is listed in the PIWIS menu and do a before and after dyno run and see if this works, would be cheap upgrade if it works, the GTS and standard engine are mechanically identical after all.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, AnthonyR said:

I have had 200 cell cats with a equal length manifolds on my car for about a month now, the car was dynoed before and after and it only gained 3 hp and this was right at the top end but it did gain some torque all the way through rev range, I don't have the graphs to hand so can't check the exact amount. The improvement in the noise alone was worth it for me.

I had a GT3 throttle body and large plenum fitted on my old 987 S, it also had a primary decat, it gained 15hp overall but this was ALL right at the top end and unless you revved it right out all the time it was hardly worth it, it actually felt faster in normal driving after I put it back to mostly standard. The car also dropped an EML regularly, especially when it was hot and you left it idling, it still did this even after I had the O2 sensors spaced out which I was promised would cure it, although I have a suspicion that partial decat might have been equally to blame here.

Needless to say I will not be going down this route with my 981, no EML issues so far, although for obvious reasons I haven't driven it that much. I would still love somebody to try the GTS engine power option that is listed in the PIWIS menu and do a before and after dyno run and see if this works, would be cheap upgrade if it works, the GTS and standard engine are mechanically identical after all.

Please try the GTS code and report back I bet you won't feel any difference in the real world mind you.

1 hour ago, mneil said:

Here is the dyno from my car.

IMAG1222

That torque curve does not look good. Could they not spend more time to smooth it out and get rid of the flat spots? Did you get an AFR plot too? 

2 hours ago, AnthonyR said:

When were the Dyno runs? If the after Dyno was literally after it was all fitted I'm not surprised the increment is so small. It needs some run time to adjust. 

48 minutes ago, edc said:

That torque curve does not look good. Could they not spend more time to smooth it out and get rid of the flat spots? Did you get an AFR plot too? 

The torque curve was an big problem, found the print out.

IMAG1227

This is why a custom map is the best way forwards. If you get a basic flash with no ability to adjust the maps then you can't iron out any issues. 

Did the mapper explain what they thought was going on? Its a big dip from almost 240 to almost 200 lbsft across about 1000 rpm right in the lower mid range. It's also a bit bumpy nearer the top end. Is that related to the variocam? 

On 5/22/2020 at 6:55 AM, map said:

So maybe what your experience has shown is that an intake manifold inlet of 82mm is just too big, even with a remap, for a standard Boxster 986/987 type engine.  If so this experience should save people the time and money associated with this specific modification on these models - it doesn't seem to qualify as an upgrade

@phazed had a similar experience with his TVR. He has the details but there are several version of plenum up-grades and he had the largest option but when it was mapped, I do not think he could use more than about 60% of the capacity. 

1 hour ago, edc said:

This is why a custom map is the best way forwards. If you get a basic flash with no ability to adjust the maps then you can't iron out any issues. 

Did the mapper explain what they thought was going on? Its a big dip from almost 240 to almost 200 lbsft across about 1000 rpm right in the lower mid range. It's also a bit bumpy nearer the top end. Is that related to the variocam? 

If I recollect correctly, they would have needed to spend big money to get the coding or similar to access certain areas. Yes the dips are just before cam change over and I'm sure I've read on other forums about similar dips in the DFI engines.

Would be good to find a magician who can smooth them out.

19 hours ago, edc said:

When were the Dyno runs? If the after Dyno was literally after it was all fitted I'm not surprised the increment is so small. It needs some run time to adjust. 

The post fitment dyno run was after about 5-10 minutes of road driving, this was the only way it was going to get done unfortunately and I totally agree that this was not ideal and the car needed longer to adjust.

I have been waiting for some BMC filters and was then going to get the car dynoed again after fitting them but I have now given up on Design911 ever delivering them and cancelled the order.

100 CEL cats will throw the engine management light, thus that would need mapping out.

The 981 and 718 race cars have 100 CEL cats in their manifolds, although they are approx. £3500 !! I nearly bought some a month or so back as they were going very cheap, however I couldn't justify the extra cost of a remap at the time, plus I couldn't find any confirmation that MOT would pass.

Neil you need to balance either side of the exhaust to avoid drone - that's why the cheap Chinese 986 systems are so hated.

There is a solution for you that merges both outlets. Soul Performance do them , amongst others.  Soul do the best looking pipework, however shipping costs were silly.

I found this on eBay (eBay number 282234570534)

https://www.quality-tuning.eu/gb/porsche-987-boxster-cayman-05--stainless-steel-exhaust-tip 

You can chose different tips and there are other slightly better available, but this was the best looking pipework for the cheapest cost.

Design911 are way more expensive (as always) and that s before VAT and shipping !

https://www.design911.co.uk/fu/prod129003/Exhaust-Tail-Pipe-Polished-Chrome-Porsche-981-Boxster---981C-Cayman/

3 hours ago, Patt said:

Neil you need to balance either side of the exhaust to avoid drone - that's why the cheap Chinese 986 systems are so hated.

There is a solution for you that merges both outlets. Soul Performance do them , amongst others.  Soul do the best looking pipework, however shipping costs were silly.

I found this on eBay (eBay number 282234570534)

https://www.quality-tuning.eu/gb/porsche-987-boxster-cayman-05--stainless-steel-exhaust-tip 

You can chose different tips and there are other slightly better available, but this was the best looking pipework for the cheapest cost.

Design911 are way more expensive (as always) and that s before VAT and shipping !

https://www.design911.co.uk/fu/prod129003/Exhaust-Tail-Pipe-Polished-Chrome-Porsche-981-Boxster---981C-Cayman/

Thanks for that Patt, just read it as the car is being worked on 🙄. I have looked at the Soul and the Fabspeed versions and watched their respective videos. Like you I thought they were a costly option, I thought I had exhausted every avenue on eBay but obviously not!

I'm having individual pipes made and fitted but they are being mounted closer to the boxes, trying for a smoother 90+* angle.

🤞 the idea works, suck it and see, of it causes drone there will be fiddle room to put a bridging piece across. Will post a final photo and report later.

site crashed as I tried to respond - I saved my reply until back online this morning.

Perhaps show your place a picture and see if they can cut and weld the two 90 deg together to emulate ?

This is the end result.

Chopped off OEM tail pipes miss section.

IMG_20200526_122745

New parts made, used bigger 110mm black polished tail pipes.

IMG_20200526_113617IMG_20200526_113611IMG_20200526_121157

They actually look stunning, really fill the exhaust aperture AND no drone but a deeper rasp and lots of burbles on the over run.

They didn't expect any extra drone as is still retains the balance pipe above the exhaust outlet.

Think they cracked it😃

MIJ performance, Walsall.

2 hours ago, mneil said:

IMG_20200526_122745

If that fits a 987.1, it retails for £500.  If you can sell it, you’ll amortise the cost of the new one. 

22 hours ago, Menoporsche said:

If that fits a 987.1, it retails for £500.  If you can sell it, you’ll amortise the cost of the new one. 

IMG_20200527_150206

Gave them a clean and have come up like new. Yes according to a tiny bit of research will fit 987.1 & .2 and obviously the 981s which it came off. The ends are I.D. 57mm, length from and to end is 206mm and back of pipe to top of chrome pipe 295mm. Unfortunately one end clamp was split.

I will put them on eBay perhaps.

On 5/26/2020 at 2:20 PM, mneil said:

This is the end result.

IMG_20200526_122745

New parts made, used bigger 110mm black polished tail pipes.

IMG_20200526_113617IMG_20200526_113611IMG_20200526_121157

They actually look stunning, really fill the exhaust aperture AND no drone but a deeper rasp and lots of burbles on the over run.

They didn't expect any extra drone as is still retains the balance pipe above the exhaust outlet.

Think they cracked it😃

MIJ performance, Walsall.

Looks great Neil, MIJ have got a good name. I spoke to them about a bespoke system for the 987.1 but it was very expensive compared to the valved system I got in the end.

I always fancied changing the tips on mine and I looked at the Fabspeed and the Soul but I couldn’t really bothered messing around.

But I could be tempted to go the way you went as it was black tips I was after.

Was it a expensive job??

11 hours ago, Menoporsche said:

offer to this community first :) 

I thought my ends were 80 or 90 ED... (bought a black one)

The chrome tips are 90mm dia. 

57mm is the dia of the tube exiting each back box, sorry I wasn't clear on that.

According to examples on eBay, it will fit all Boxsters from 08 onwards.

What would you suggest is a fair price then @Menoporsche?

Truly no idea! What’s the competition? I wanted a black one and didn’t like or didn’t trust the usual suspects, but also living in Portugal I’d have to pay postage on a heavy part from UK, so I paid full whack for the original. I think the pi-shaped junction is important. 

If no others are to be found on eBay etc, offer it for 200 and see if you get interest? I really haven’t a clue...

Archived