Fitting a IPD intake plenum and 82mm throttle body

JohnSyn

I'm a bit confused, which realistically isn't difficult!

There appears to be two very different and firmly held views as to this upgrade; its not worth doing or it really is worth doing! 

Has anyone undertaken this and have they felt it made a difference?

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, map said:

@JohnSyn you know where I stand on his from a 986 perspective - genuinely interested to see what responses you get from those who’ve actually applied it to a 981.

Hi Matthew

Yes and it really helpful to chat through with you to get some understanding of the journey, although mine if I do it won’t be as extensive as what you have done! 
Best

John 

4 minutes ago, daz05 said:

I'm keen to understand this too, I think the best bang for buck is a tune.

Although Daz manifold/ cat upgrades seems to do well 

13 minutes ago, JohnSyn said:

Although Daz manifold/ cat upgrades seems to do well 

Yes heard that too and bet it sounds amazing, you know there are horse being held back in theory at least I've gone against a Cayman GTS  apparently with another 25 bhp with my Chrono car and there was literally nothing in it.

8 minutes ago, daz05 said:

Yes heard that too and bet it sounds amazing, you know there are horse being held back in theory at least I've gone against a Cayman GTS  apparently with another 25 bhp with my Chrono car and there was literally nothing in it.

I’m sure you are right, in terms of bhp etc. Very little difference. I think the mods are more about increasing the responsiveness of the car, that is sharper throttle response etc. 

39 minutes ago, RickLS7 said:

And most of the posts don’t seem enamoured with the upgrade, which is sort of what I’ve heard. @Patt recommends the cobb upgrade, which is also mentioned in the thread and seems to produce results. 

@Mark Shead can do the Cobb for you. 

Who was the German guy who came to Blackbushe with the Ehresmann modded 981? I would look at the Ehresmann website as he shows a lot of dynos and results for the 981. 

29 minutes ago, edc said:

Who was the German guy who came to Blackbushe with the Ehresmann modded 981? I would look at the Ehresmann website as he shows a lot of dynos and results for the 981. 

I know the guy you mean Ed, but that was some time ago and I haven't seen him at a Blackbushe meeting since. I agree the Ehresmann mods look interesting, particularly the larger engine conversions. 

Patt has mentioned @Mark Shead and it is something that I'd consider if I go down the improvement route. 

Having equal length headers with 200 cell sports cats fitted this Wednesday.

Had the car mapped at AET Motorsport couple of years back and that put a smile on face , +10%extra torque very noticeable.

Have got Tony Banks exhaust Leeds, lined up to make me a custom cat back system later.

9 minutes ago, mneil said:

Having equal length headers with 200 cell sports cats fitted this Wednesday.

Had the car mapped at AET Motorsport couple of years back and that put a smile on face , +10%extra torque very noticeable.

Have got Tony Banks exhaust Leeds, lined up to make me a custom cat back system later.

I'd be really interested to hear how that goes. 

11 hours ago, JohnSyn said:

I know the guy you mean Ed, but that was some time ago and I haven't seen him at a Blackbushe meeting since. I agree the Ehresmann mods look interesting, particularly the larger engine conversions. 

Patt has mentioned @Mark Shead and it is something that I'd consider if I go down the improvement route. 

Mark is highly regarded in the Cosworth tuning field and would have been in my top two go to guys back in the day,never used him tho as my buddy was the other guy lol.Mapping is an art and hes also a Porsche enthusiast..

41 minutes ago, zagamuffin said:

Mark is highly regarded in the Cosworth tuning field and would have been in my top two go to guys back in the day,never used him tho as my buddy was the other guy lol.Mapping is an art and hes also a Porsche enthusiast..

Thanks for the recommendation...its helpful to hear from someone who has direct experience. 

John ,

Worth a look, very popular in the Us, i considered it but im in warranty  so wont till finished...seems like a lot for an off the shelf but even if 15bhp gained your at GTS factory power 50 day return as well so no risk.

https://www.gantuning.com/chiptuning/porsche/boxster-981-2011-17/3-4i-315hp-360nm/

10 minutes ago, zagamuffin said:

John ,

Worth a look, very popular in the Us, i considered it but im in warranty  so wont till finished...seems like a lot for an off the shelf but even if 15bhp gained your at GTS factory power 50 day return as well so no risk.

https://www.gantuning.com/chiptuning/porsche/boxster-981-2011-17/3-4i-315hp-360nm/

At least two people are running this on this forum, I've got it fitted ti the my 986 and @villaman has one on his 997 -the car feels sharper and pulls harder - I haven't had any power tests done.

1 hour ago, zagamuffin said:

John ,

57 minutes ago, Southy said:

At least two people are running this on this forum, I've got it fitted ti the my 986 and @villaman has one on his 997 -the car feels sharper and pulls harder - I haven't had any power tests done.

Thanks chaps....clearly worth a look and, as I've said in an earlier post, its always really helpful to hear of others experiences with something. 

22 hours ago, JohnSyn said:

I’m sure you are right, in terms of bhp etc. Very little difference. I think the mods are more about increasing the responsiveness of the car, that is sharper throttle response etc. 

I suspect it’s this. People are talking about how many extra horses; with these cars I don’t see that as the discussion, it is more about where the horses appear through the power band and how that improves real world drivability. When was the last few times anyone set a 0-60 time? Stronger 40-60 or 20-50 far more useful on a daily basis. 

I've also seen  a few Youtube videos on the dyno with zero gains for the IPD (although no tune added)

I have heard it improves the induction sound, but that's an expensive gain that could probably be emulated by removing sound deadening material.

I have used Mark in my Evo days and will always recommend him.  The beauty of the Cobb is you can chose which map you want, ie turn it back to normal if required.  Also you can get a bespoke "pro tune" done if you so wish.

The annoying part is no-one knows how to put the PDK into "dyno mode" like they do for every other car.

Had the new headers with the 200 cell sports cats fitted today. Posted in the"what have you done to your 981 today"

With hindsight, it feels as if the new headers etc has enhanced the previous remap, whatever the reason the car had certainly come alive!

10 hours ago, mneil said:

Had the new headers with the 200 cell sports cats fitted today. Posted in the"what have you done to your 981 today"

With hindsight, it feels as if the new headers etc has enhanced the previous remap, whatever the reason the car had certainly come alive!

I read your post on the other thread, its interesting you feel the new headers have enhanced the remap. Logic would suggest the other way round, headers then remap, should work very well but it looks like its the same the other way! 

10 hours ago, mneil said:

38 minutes ago, JohnSyn said:

I read your post on the other thread, its interesting you feel the new headers have enhanced the remap. Logic would suggest the other way round, headers then remap, should work very well but it looks like its the same the other way! 

The changed map and headers are essentially sub-systems of a larger machine - improvements to one area will produce gains, improve a second, connected area and you often see gains where "the whole is greater than the sum of the parts".

It maybe that a further tweak of the map now would yield additional improvements.

Regardless it's great to see folk modifying their cars to their own taste 👍

Archived