This has got to be a joke...

ricof

55 minutes ago, red rocket said:

Happy to oblige. My photos here and others in same thread 

Fabulous, thanks for that, personally I like the liquid metal colour but struggle with the black wheel finish on them all, think the 993 and 964 look the best of them.

17 minutes ago, Cheddar Bob said:

I think for the money this is advertised for, you really want to have a 986 boxster. I haven't driven the newer models, but in my mind it would be difficult to not take the newer version, or even move to another type of Porsche

Very different types of car IMO, the 986 is quite raw, unrefined and analogue compared to the newer cars, also lacking the power of those cars it gives more chance to use the full range without stepping too far into illegal speed territory.  It's more at the sportscar end of the spectum whereas the 981/718 is getting closer to a GT.

I agree you really MUST be looking for a 986 specifically to bid on one of these and clearly given than not all have sold Porsche over-estimated their popularity at this time.  I'm not sure why they didn't take the really early launch model instead and refurb those, IMO that would be a more collectable model. 10 1997 2.5s in silver and red fully refurbed to 'like new' standard would fly off the shelves.

Edited by mike597

57 minutes ago, mike597 said:

Very different types of car IMO, the 986 is quite raw, unrefined and analogue compared to the newer cars, also lacking the power of those cars it gives more chance to use the full range without stepping too far into illegal speed territory.  It's more at the sportscar end of the spectum whereas the 981/718 is getting closer to a GT.

I agree you really MUST be looking for a 986 specifically to bid on one of these and clearly given than not all have sold Porsche over-estimated their popularity at this time.  I'm not sure why they didn't take the really early launch model instead and refurb those, IMO that would be a more collectable model. 10 1997 2.5s in silver and red fully refurbed to 'like new' standard would fly off the shelves.

I'm not so sure they would 'fly off the shelves' particularly when you could buy a 981 for similar money. 

I (sort of) get the analogue driving experience but given the choice of a 2.5 986 or 981 I reckon you are into Orange/Yellow colour territory i.e. EVERYONE AND THEIR DOG queue up to wax lyrical about how they simply love the bright coloured Boxsters and yet they are like rocking horse shyate, talk is cheap. 

2 minutes ago, EXY said:

I'm not so sure they would 'fly off the shelves' particularly when you could buy a 981 for similar money. 

I (sort of) get the analogue driving experience but given the choice of a 2.5 986 or 981 I reckon you are into Orange/Yellow colour territory i.e. EVERYONE AND THEIR DOG queue up to wax lyrical about how they simply love the bright coloured Boxsters and yet they are like rocking horse shyate, talk is cheap. 

I wouldn't really compare a 986 to a 981 they are simply different markets for purchasers now.  Would someone purchasing an E-TYpe (say) for £70k be thinking ...but I could get a F-Type for that money?  Probably not, they are different products in markets now.  

2 minutes ago, mike597 said:

I wouldn't really compare a 986 to a 981 they are simply different markets for purchasers now.  Would someone purchasing an E-TYpe (say) for £70k be thinking ...but I could get a F-Type for that money?  Probably not, they are different products in markets now.  

If I had £30k and the choice between a Super-duper 986 and a 981 I doubt I would even bother looking at the 986 UNLESS it was in the same showroom and I HAD to walk past it on the way to the 981.

Seems the market has agreed with me as well seeing as the Super-duper 986's aren't exactly flying off the shelves. 

Like I say 'talk is cheap' plus you have to consider the potential for quantities that are shiftable. The only eijit that will pick the 986 will be talking about it NOT opening their wallet. 

9 minutes ago, EXY said:

If I had £30k and the choice between a Super-duper 986 and a 981 I doubt I would even bother looking at the 986 UNLESS it was in the same showroom and I HAD to walk past it on the way to the 981.

My point is, if you (or I) had £30k to consider dropping on a 986 you'd not be considering it  as a choice between that or 981.  You'd likely already have a 981 or 718 or a couple of 911s and probably a host of other cars as well.  You want a 986 for what it is and you want the best example available.  Clearly though that is a very limited appeal market right now hence they have not sold.  I really do think that if they'd produced them in the launch colours they would have sold better as 'classics'.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mike597 said:

My point is, if you (or I) had £30k to consider dropping on a 986 you'd not be considering it  as a choice between that or 981.  You'd likely already have a 981 or 718 or a couple of 911s and probably a host of other cars as well.  You want a 986 for what it is and you want the best example available.  Clearly though that is a very limited appeal market right now hence they have not sold.  I really do think that if they'd produced them in the launch colours they would have sold better as 'classics'.

I would want a brand spanking new fully loaded 986S with all the gadgets and gizmo's and factory M030 and all other performance upgrades to temp me away from buying a 981 at a similar price. 

1 hour ago, mike597 said:

And my point is if I (not really interested in what anyone else is doing TBH) was in the market for another Boxster (WTF you are blethering on about E-Types is also a mystery) AND had £5k to spend I would be looking at a 986 because 987's at £5k would be unlikely due to mileage etc. HOWEVER IF I had £30k to spend I would be looking at 981's.

I think we agree that the £30k 986's are NOT selling and IMHO the reason for that is there a LOT of people whose eyes/mouths are bigger than their wallets. 

Speculate all you want, as always the market will decide AND the type of buyer you are describing wouldn't be on here bouncing their gums they would have had the car bought and most likely stored. 

19 minutes ago, ricof said:

I would want a brand spanking new fully loaded 986S with all the gadgets and gizmo's and factory M030 and all other performance upgrades to temp me away from buying a 981 at a similar price. 

And at least £10k in a bag in the boot :)

I think I saw this at the NEC classic car show back in November 2018. I expected to see a perfectly restored factory spec as new 986. Instead it was all rather disappointing and just looked like a well kept Boxster with a dull choice of paint colour and even duller wheels. 

Not surprised their still hawking it around 18 months later!

Edited by jonogt6

2 hours ago, mike597 said:

I certainly consider my very early 986 as a classic car nowadays.

£29k, but you do get a two year warranty..... 😁

I’ve seen the work that goes into them, you could argue it’s almost a hand built car. Probably one to put in the garage, never use, then hope it’s worth what you paid for it in years to come. Bit of a waste though in my opinion.

Hi

If money was not an issue, and I wanted an early car then I would buy this ahead of a 981. The newer cars do not do it for me, although I accept they are better in every quantifiable respect (except size, smaller being better).

Berni 

• 1 year later...
13 hours ago, Ric H said:

70th anniversary Boxster 986s ... there was one for sale on Autotrader for circa £25 k ( The Wirral I think).

Anyone know if it sold/what for?

I am guessing that is the one that sold on Collecting Cars. It went for £21,050 plus buyers premium so approx £22,300

https://collectingcars.com/for-sale/2002-porsche-986-boxster-s-4

On 6/3/2020 at 9:50 AM, mike597 said:

Very different types of car IMO, the 986 is quite raw, unrefined and analogue compared to the newer cars, 

Mike597 comments made me think back to other cars I have owned as I didn’t consider my 986 raw and unrefined after coming from an older air cooled 911 which was raw and unrefined IMO compared to my 986. My Morgan’s when I had them were very unrefined  even between the 1969 4-4 and the 2002 4-4 there was hardly any difference, although the seats were a bit better in the later car. The Morgan’s were quite a brutal ride in many ways, a hard ride, skittish, poor build quality etc. Mind you all of the above pale into insignificance compared to my 1953 Land Rover, now that is the epitome of raw and unrefined.😂

• Haha 1

49 minutes ago, Burt986S said:

I am guessing that is the one that sold on Collecting Cars. It went for £21,050 plus buyers premium so approx £22,300

Wow, I am surprised how low it went for, I guess in 10 years time these could be worth about the same as an un(OEM)restored one.

20 minutes ago, Daboy3000 said:

Wow, I am surprised how low it went for, I guess in 10 years time these could be worth about the same as an un(OEM)restored one.

Probably about right given the better ones on AT are around £14-15k

And yes as with anything like this, drive it and it's value will tumble

6 hours ago, Daboy3000 said:
7 hours ago, Burt986S said:

Genuinely fail to see why it even sold for that much. Possibly to a collector type, who will never drive it. It's not even that great of a spec. No sound pack, no extended leather, plastic rear screen.

If you wanted a driver's car, a sensible miles car with upgraded suspension and nice spec could be had (or built) for a fraction of the price.

For £22k, one could have bought this, put a handbrake in it, and tax and test it: https://racecarsdirect.com/Advert/Details/85340/39l-porsche-boxster-penske-986