Got a 987 - nearly

penrhos

I posted on 29 May that I was on the lookout for a manual 987 2.7 and have been looking at least twice daily on Autotrader, Pistonheads, Carguru, Facebook, EBay and on here. Nothing scientific about this but for me Facebook (at 65 I am not a prolific Facebook user!) seemed to bring more cars of interest to my attention than any other source. Anyway, having always searched nationally I saw one today just 40 minutes drive away and we agreed a price subject to it getting through its MOT tomorrow.

It's a 2008 2.7 (not sport edition) with a decent service history in Basalt/black leather with 72k miles on it. It has the only 2 must have's for me which are heated seats and rear parking sensors. Pretty cool seller, possibly thought I just toodle along due to my age 😀, tossed me the keys pointed me in the direction of the "Top Gear" road on the Beacons and me and the Mrs were off!

Having not bought a 12 year old car since I was in my teens (Triumph Herald, HEU982 I think, which I bought for £30, had it 2 weeks and my brother in law wrote it off and gave me £50 to lessen my disappointment) I needed to get my expectations sorted. The car is far from perfect but there are no dents or rust anywhere. There is a tiny bit of peeling lacquer on the off side rear quarter and the front  bumper will need a respray due to stone chips if it is to match the rest of the car. The interior release for the bonnet doesn't work, it opens on the key, so I will have to investigate that. The only other issue is that the drivers seat bolster has a couple of small holes in the leather which will need sorting. The car handled really well on front tyres that have seen better days - no sign of steering wheel wobble even under hard braking. Gear changes were smooth and the clutch was light having been renewed within the last couple of years. The engine sounded good but I am no expert.

I intend to spend a bit of well earned to bring the car up to scratch over the coming months. My spannering days are over because, having downsized recently, I no longer have a garage and the car will live in one of the two spaces that come with the apartment - the local indie is rubbing his hands. I've always preferred the look of exhaust twin tips to the standard 2.7 one piece, so does anyone have any recommendations for new shiney ones? Another easy improver is coloured wheel centres, again, recommendations please for good quality ones that don't come from an OPC?

Quite excited now - just hope that I haven't counted my chickens. If there are no issues with the MOT I will pick the car up tomorrow afternoon.

Congratulations. You didn't say how your Top Gear road drive went!

When you say no rust is that underneath too? Some owners of 987s have found more rust than they'd like and expect.

I'd already driven for 7 or 8 miles before getting to the Top Gear road and my better half was telling me to turn back! So didn't see any of it to be honest although the Beacons is, as most people who have driven in the area will know, full of Top Gear roads and I've been on most of them over the years. 

Will post pics asap.

Don’t forget to check the front radiator pipes which come from the front rads to the aluminium cross over pipes, if you look just in front of the front wheel you can see if these are leaking - I only know as I missed this and then had to pay for these to be replaced which was not cheap.  Good luck for tomorrow.

I have a set of twin tail pipes from my S in good condition and would respond well to a good polish, easy whilst off the car, can post a pic up tomorrow if interested.

Had my 987.1 3.2 S Tiptronic for 18 months and haven't needed to spend 2K.

I have only needed to renew the small metal brake pipes from the calipers to the flexi hoses which I renewed aswell.

Not even an advisory on the UK MOT History but toget registered here in France I had to renew them.

Love my Boxster.

10 hours ago, penrhos said:

Another easy improver is coloured wheel centres, again, recommendations please for good quality ones that don't come from an OPC?

Congrats on the new motor. There's a thread running on centre caps from AliExpress so have a look for that. You can buy cheap on Ebay & Facebook but can bet they were sourced from AliExpress in the first place. 

Hi Mattman42, yes it passed MOT and no advisories. Enjoyed the drive back home and really pleased I made the decision to return to open top motoring. Will try to post a pic later.

Ride updated. Can't post pics - apparently my iPad is too old to support Imgur! Will have to invest in some new tech. However, my priority for the coming weeks, when covid provisions in Wales allow, is to meet up my mate who bought my old 986S three years ago to make some comparisons. We will have some fun😀.

On 6/24/2020 at 8:25 AM, red rocket said:

Congrats on the new motor. There's a thread running on centre caps from AliExpress so have a look for that. You can buy cheap on Ebay & Facebook but can bet they were sourced from AliExpress in the first place. 

Hi red rocket, ordered the centre caps from AliExpress on 25 June and they arrived today! Bought 2 sets - silver/gold and black/gold - for less than £21 and they look great. The silver ones are so shiney I think they will put the alloys to shame. Thanks again for the info.

1 hour ago, penrhos said:

Hi red rocket, ordered the centre caps from AliExpress on 25 June and they arrived today! Bought 2 sets - silver/gold and black/gold - for less than £21 and they look great. The silver ones are so shiney I think they will put the alloys to shame. Thanks again for the info.

👍 can you pls post a link - trying to decide which to go for myself.

Just fitted the silver ones - very snug fit so they ain't going anywhere - and they look great. Probably the simplest, cheapest and most effective change/addition anyone could make to the look of a car. Will try the black/gold ones when these go tatty and at the same time order more of both - cheap as 🍟. Can't post images due to my cr*p iPad sorry.

Archived