Has anyone removed the OBC stem ?

Patrick1964

I’ve changed the head unit in my car, so the dash display doesn’t show any info from there. All that shows is range (don’t care), mpg (don’t want to know) and from memory a couple of other metrics I don’t care about. I’d rather remove the stalk so I didn’t keep knocking it with my knee, but I also don’t want spurious dashes or error messages on the display. Any ideas please?

3 minutes ago, Patrick1964 said:

I guess the other option would be to add cruise, so at least the stalk does something useful?

No, in the sense that cruise is a separate stalk - lower right. Yes, in the sense it's useful on long journeys. Easy enough to fit if you can find a stalk for a reasonable price (not so easy as the breakers know the value and price accordingly) and an indy can code it cheaply enough.

His profile says he has a 986. The OBC stalk doesn't do that.

You can remove the stalk.  You won't get any error messages. The display will just continue to show the last menu item at the time you remove it.  If you wanted to retain the feature, you could fit a switch to as vacant slot in the horseshoe, and connect it to that.

I don’t get the point in removing the OBC stalk.   The display will still show up.   I have a non OEM head unit and you can just tell the car to display something else in the display instead of the radio station.  

plus as stated earlier your oil level is there also. 

Or you have massive legs in which case you should get some exercise or if they are just long legs get a car with more leg room.  

Or is it April the 1st and I’ve fallen for it ?  

51 minutes ago, Patrick1964 said:

My profile says 987, as far as I can see ?

Indeed, hence the confusion over not being able to measure the oil if you remove the stalk

I have long legs as well (I'm 6ft 6), so I feel your pain.  I swapped out the wheel which made a massive difference, but the stalk is slightly annoying.

Watching this thread with interest

1 hour ago, Mickh said:

I swapped out the wheel which made a massive difference

I am only 6'3" but still hit the wheel with my knees. I have recently adjusted it to sit higher than I would prefer but has helped with my knees. Which wheel did you go for? Any pics?

I went for a Mountney  leather 320mm one from Demon Tweeks. I wasn't sure what size to go for,  but knew it had to come down a fair bit.

I also fitted a Sparco 50mm spacer to bring the wheel closer.  Again for more legroom.  Tbh I could have gone for a 330mm wheel and if I was to buy again that's what i would go for.

Porsche horn button was nearly as expensive as the wheel, but really makes a difference.

20200331_193441

2 hours ago, Mickh said:

I went for a Mountney  leather 320mm one from Demon Tweeks. I wasn't sure what size to go for,  but knew it had to come down a fair bit.

I also fitted a Sparco 50mm spacer to bring the wheel closer.  Again for more legroom.  Tbh I could have gone for a 330mm wheel and if I was to buy again that's what i would go for.

Porsche horn button was nearly as expensive as the wheel, but really makes a difference.

20200331_193441

Thanks for that. Hmmm no airbag so not for me...

I personally don't like airbags on steering wheels, and tend to remove them as soon as I buy a quick car.  I'm far enough away from the wheel/ front of the car that I have always felt that the benefits are minimal.  Plus I've heard of quite a few snapped wrists from them.

27 minutes ago, Menoporsche said:

Perhaps with 4/5 point harness you don't need an airbag?

Was wondering about harnesses actually. But I would need new seats etc

• 2 weeks later...

Archived