Car ramps. What size front and rear

Cheddar Bob

I've recently been looking for extra wide ramps to do work on the Boxster and  the best I could  find would take up to 245 profile.

C&J Autos do lovely wide wind up or hydraulic ramps but they are pricey, very pricey.....

Most standard ramps will have Boxster rear tyres hanging over edges if running 18's and 265 rears.

I'm about to modify my old ramps with generous use of a disc cutter some angle iron and breaking out the welder!

I got a set of very wide Arcan ramps in Costco a while back. They take the Boxster tyres no problem. Dont know if you can still get them but they are ideal if  you can find them somewhere.

Got a good deal on them. Seem to remember they were about £50 but were reduced to £20. When I got to the till they were reduced further to £15. Not often I get a deal like that.

20 minutes ago, jonogt6 said:

I have a set of these and can definitely recommend them. They fit my Boxster tyres no problem at all. Much better than the spindly metal types.

Are they high enough to lift the front of the car and get the plastic covers off.? 

Need to replace ARB bushes. 

5 hours ago, PaulQ said:

Are they high enough to lift the front of the car and get the plastic covers off.? 

I have a set of these also, very good for the money. I have not had the front of car up yet so can’t comment on that , but I had the rear up recently and the car was high enough for me to get underneath and replace the back box.

7 hours ago, PaulQ said:

Coincidentally I removed my entire front anti roll bar to repaint it a few weeks back. So yes they are plenty high enough for that.

19 hours ago, PaulQ said:

I would imagine so, although I have only used them for servicing the car, which is back end only, plenty high enough for that

I made my own ramps some years ago from old bits of wood that I had lying around. Well wide enough to cope with the 265 tyres and are stronger than they look - well never collapsed yet at least lol. They are heavy to move around though!

imageimageimage

11 minutes ago, el 3.2S said:

I made my own ramps some years ago from old bits of wood that I had lying around. Well wide enough to cope with the 265 tyres and are stronger than they look - well never collapsed yet at least lol. They are heavy to move around though!

imageimageimage

Many moons ago I had similar made from scaffolding planks.... 

1 hour ago, el 3.2S said:

imageimageimage

That's some good height

• 8 months later...

In case anyone is interested have just picked up some Durhand ramps (same as the Katsu ones in the baron's post above) on ebay with 20% off currently which works out to £53.59. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DURHAND-Heavy-Duty-2-5-Ton-Plastic-Car-Lifting-Ramps-Automotive-Vehicle-Garage-/264356723653?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49292

Scoured the internet and these are definitely the cheapest for the height/width.

Got another £2.50 off with my Nectar points and they are currently also giving 9x points if accounts are linked.

On 7/6/2020 at 2:27 PM, the baron said:

So the latest ones are these at circa £60 which look quite good but don't think they are high enough for me. Read in one of the comments that it was just right for a 5 door 6 guy under the car but I'm 6 foot and fat. Lol 

I'm also after a set of car stands too if anyone has some suggestions. Need to do the coil plugs so need the wheels off I believe so these ramps won't be if any use. 

if you are only going to do the coils, tubes etc. that can be esily done on a jack or ideally an axle stand. i did mine recently and it was super simple. easy access with the wheel off as you say. 

Archived